Author Topic: ISS RS: Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module-Upgrade (MLM-U) General Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 802969 times)

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
I'm still not clear on exactly why the move was made, but one of the reasons brought up was concern for clearance of the MLM.  Of course, now the PMM lives down at Unity's nadir, but since its planned to be moved sometime this year, I guess the larger clearance will again be available for MLM should it ever be launched.

That doesn't make sense, the MLM would go where Pirs (DC) is right now on the SM nadir docking port, no where near Node 1 nadir.  I think the big deal was the clearances of Soyuz docking to MRM-1 which is located at the FBG node 1 docking hatch, right next to Node 1 nadir.
« Last Edit: 01/25/2015 10:45 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
Aha, that sounds much more reasonable!

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988
Not quite.  The deal was with Soyuz docking clearance with FGB nadir, before MRM-1 was installed.  There was a proposal to keep Node 3 "dormant" where it is now and then move it to Node 1 nadir after MRM-1 arrived, but this was not pursued.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
If MLM launches, has anyone ever stated reservations about docking (I assume Kurs-style) such a large mass at right angles to the station's main axis?

Note that Shuttle has docked with a PMA in the -R bar, as well.

Online Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
The third picture is not very clear, but it seems that MLM simulator has been removed from KTOK building in TsPK...

http://www.gctc.ru/main.php?id=2869

Maybe I'm misinterpreting.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
I defies belief how a company with so much experience building space station modules (Khrunichev) could spend so long on the MLM, and still get it so catastrophically wrong.
Let me put it this way Pete:

It defies belief how a company with so much experience building Proton rockets (Khrunichev) got the installation of the first stage angular velocity sensors catastrophically wrong.

The cause is basically the same: Khrunichev as a company has been in decay for decades. But until just a few years ago this wasn't noticed because most of the faults were caught at the eleventh hour by the older, Soviet-era workers. Now that most of those have retired the problems are manifesting themselves in a very visible manner.

If Russia really is going to pull out of the ISS in 2020, then they might as well not bother launching MLM to the ISS at all, and instead use it as the base for a new station.
IMO that is exactly what will eventually happen. Finally launching MLM less than three years before the end of ISS makes no sense at all.

and what of the ESA robotic arm designed for use on the ISS MLM; will that be returning to ESA?

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
I defies belief how a company with so much experience building space station modules (Khrunichev) could spend so long on the MLM, and still get it so catastrophically wrong.
Let me put it this way Pete:

It defies belief how a company with so much experience building Proton rockets (Khrunichev) got the installation of the first stage angular velocity sensors catastrophically wrong.

The cause is basically the same: Khrunichev as a company has been in decay for decades. But until just a few years ago this wasn't noticed because most of the faults were caught at the eleventh hour by the older, Soviet-era workers. Now that most of those have retired the problems are manifesting themselves in a very visible manner.

If Russia really is going to pull out of the ISS in 2020, then they might as well not bother launching MLM to the ISS at all, and instead use it as the base for a new station.
IMO that is exactly what will eventually happen. Finally launching MLM less than three years before the end of ISS makes no sense at all.

and what of the ESA robotic arm designed for use on the ISS MLM; will that be returning to ESA?

A. ERA was not specifically designed for MLM. It has a long history, starting with the Hermes mini-shuttle before hopping over to MIR-2 and then again hopping over to the Russian segment of the ISS. On the RS, it was supposed to be launched as part of the since-long-cancelled SPP (Science Power Platform or NEP). When that got canned, ERA was moved to MLM.
The basic history of ERA is that of surviving one cancellation after another:
- Hermes, cancelled
- MIR-2, cancelled
- SPP, cancelled
- MLM... well, the final verdict on that is some time in the future...

B. ERA will not be returned to ESA. ESA transferred ownership of ERA to Roscosmos a good number of years ago. Other then some minor ESA support, with regards to technical know-how, operational training and upgrade of the MPTE, the arm is now fully the responsibility of Russia.
« Last Edit: 02/20/2015 09:37 am by woods170 »

Online Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Khrunichev will end work on MLM in february 2016.

http://ria.ru/space/20150225/1049576138.html
To add a bit there is an ongoing discussion that the Module and all of its related work is to be written off and likely will go to the space module grave yard as the more they work on it the more they find damaged or irreparable. should here something at next ISS MMT meetings.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301

To add a bit there is an ongoing discussion that the Module and all of its related work is to be written off and likely will go to the space module grave yard as the more they work on it the more they find damaged or irreparable. should here something at next ISS MMT meetings.

Presumably nothing about that in the article link - the translation I have here at least makes it sound like they're going to complete building it in February 2016 and have it ready for integration.

Though it says "the new MLM module", if that means anything.
« Last Edit: 02/25/2015 05:44 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline schaban

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 132
"New" in article means "Not used yet", not "another, brand new MLM"

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran

Khrunichev will transfer the repaired MLM to Energia at that time.

Past history tells us that 18 months later should be the launch date.

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
Unbelievable! If they do actually get it launched at the twilight of the ISS life cycle (and considering the other modules still pending launch), my only hope is that they find a way to keep ISS alive beyond the current targeted splash date! Considering that the station is still in good health today at this moment in time, I'm wondering if that is any indication that there could be better chances of keeping it alive long enough to enjoy the benefits of the new Russian modules. Is the station in better condition today compared to the condition it was expected to be in at this point of time?

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
Question: So what happends if they don't launch this Module and USOS fly comercial crew & go to 4 USOS. Where will that Russian member sleep?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
Question: So what happends if they don't launch this Module and USOS fly comercial crew & go to 4 USOS. Where will that Russian member sleep?

There is always the Soyuz orbital module.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273

There is always the Soyuz orbital module.
Could the MLM actually support an 8 crew ISS increment?

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988

*bump*

It's been six months since this last update.  Is there anything new to report?

Offline pippin

• Regular
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 45
I'd guess the launch date will have moved to the right by another six months.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
I'd guess the launch date will have moved to the right by another six months.
Let me put it this way: Roscosmos has learned from the noise from previous updates (err: delay notifications). My contacts report to me that the Russians have been eerily quiet about MLM in the last 14 months. With no hard data to work with it means that the silence about MLM could mean just about anything.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729

*bump*

It's been six months since this last update.  Is there anything new to report?
Google translation
Khrunichev Center will complete the assembly of the module to the ISS in February 2016

Acting director of the Center Andrew Kalinowski said that retrofitting MLM module "Science" is scheduled for completion in February 2016. Further, the module will be transferred to RSC "Energy" for final finishing.
MOSCOW, February 25 - RIA Novosti. Center Khrunichev complete the assembly of the new module to the ISS MLM in February 2016, hereinafter referred to finished product will give RSC "Energy" for future launch, told reporters Acting director of the Center Andrew Kalinowski.

"Retrofit module is scheduled for completion in February 2016. Further, the module will be transferred to RSC" Energy "to the finish polishing, after which it will be possible to start and to include in the international space station," - said Kalinowski.
MLM module "Science" should ensure the development of the Russian segment of the ISS and conduct full-fledged research. The new module will be placed additional equipment, space for storage.
Furthermore, using MLM can provide life-support functions of the maintenance station to control the roll of the ISS via motors. Also, with the inclusion of "science" of the station to the ISS will be an additional port for the transport ships and research modules."
« Last Edit: 08/28/2015 04:12 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography