Author Topic: Where is Bolden?  (Read 18312 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Where is Bolden?
« Reply #20 on: 08/31/2011 09:20 pm »
Yes, I disagree because there is no need to get the parties together, it is being worked at a lower level

Offline renclod

• Extreme Veteran
  • EU.Ro
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #21 on: 08/31/2011 09:29 pm »
"Where is Bolden ?"

"You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."
(Mr. Rahm Emanuel , 2008 )

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #22 on: 08/31/2011 11:54 pm »
Nice quote - but doesn't apply. If you consider this a "serious crisis" you've been misreading the news coverage.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #23 on: 09/01/2011 12:35 am »
In Russia, because of the failures, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin  fired Federal Space Agency chief Anatoly Perminov. He is then replaced with First Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin.
In America we get a program manager to speak to it on behalf of the agency… good enough I guess… ::)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline DARPA-86

• Pig farmer from Ryan, Iowa
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: 09/01/2011 12:36 am »
My best guess is that he is doing exactly what he should be doing - working the problem quietly and calling in whatever chits he has gained by working with the Soviets/Russians for nearly 25 years.

I personally am no fan of either this administration or their implementation of a national space policy - or I should say more accurately - their lack of one.

But I won't pick on Mr. Bolden when I know full well, as could anyone who does a little research, that he trained for months with Sergei Krikalev, so they could be crewmates on STS-60 - a mission on which (then) Col. Bolden was the Commander.

BTW, Col. Kirkalev is probably one of their most respected individuals and was their senior Cosmonaut until he moved off flight status and into his new job; Vice President of RSC Energia and Administrator of the Yuri Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Center.

Since it will be Mr. Kirkalev's and Mr. Boldens duty to make the decision on who flys when on the next rocket uphill to the ISS, and that they will probably personally know both the individuals and the families of those Cosmonauts & Astronaut.  I am glad that those two individuals have known each other and worked with each other under pressure situations going back a quarter of a century.  And they can be honest with each other in their disucssions and decision making process.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7688
« Reply #25 on: 09/01/2011 12:41 am »
No offense meant, however I think many are missing the point. Situations like this are exactly the time for the Administartor to be out there pushing for his agency and its' efforts with SLS and COTS. It doesn't matter if it was a gas generator, etc...the fact is, these incidents should be used by the administrator to push for an even greater sence of urgency with regards to domestic govt / private capabilities.

But it would seem they are too busy studying the plan for the planed study of the plan..

good post.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #26 on: 09/01/2011 12:49 am »
In Russia, because of the failures, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin  fired Federal Space Agency chief Anatoly Perminov. He is then replaced with First Deputy Defense Minister Vladimir Popovkin.

And that isn't clicking for you? The problem is a RUSSIAN problem. There will be no impact to US space operations. Makes no sense to have Bolden pile on - let them take care of it on their own.

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #27 on: 09/01/2011 01:08 am »
In America we get a program manager to speak to it on behalf of the agency… good enough I guess… ::)

not good enought.   

As an example those workers who were recently put out of a job.  Did our administrator have the guts to shake their hands and thank the people for their years of service?  I would think not.

maybe Congress will call him up when they get back in town.

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #28 on: 09/01/2011 01:21 am »

not good enought.   

As an example those workers who were recently put out of a job.  Did our administrator have the guts to shake their hands and thank the people for their years of service?  I would think not.

He already told them that “he has better things to do like spending time with his grandkids on his boat”….
« Last Edit: 09/01/2011 01:22 am by Rocket Science »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #29 on: 09/01/2011 02:21 am »

1.  The equivalent is not possible in the US.  Bolden is not responsible for the failings of commercial contractors on commercial missions.

2. It is exactly the right protocol for the ISS program manager to talk about ISS issues.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #30 on: 09/01/2011 02:22 am »

not good enought.   

That is ridiculous

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #31 on: 09/01/2011 02:29 am »
Two points:  (1) Bolden isn't required to do anything regarding this that would be visible in public; (2) Bolden might be able to use this as an opportunity to do good for NASA.

My personal conclusion is that he's still not being tasked with taking advantage of public relations opportunities.  Certainly he wouldn't be expected to come up with the clever kinds of "spin" this situation might require.
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #32 on: 09/01/2011 02:40 am »
I heard he was spotted in Bengazi.

Whoops.  Gotta go.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #33 on: 09/01/2011 11:32 am »
Both Bolden and his second Garver don’t want to get in front of cameras right now with no answers to a lot of questions from the Hill and the press. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid…

"One who deceives will always find those who allow themselves to be deceived".
Niccolo Machiavelli
« Last Edit: 09/01/2011 11:34 am by Rocket Science »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #34 on: 09/01/2011 12:51 pm »
Both Bolden and his second Garver don’t want to get in front of cameras right now with no answers to a lot of questions from the Hill and the press. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid…

You have no basis to make such comments.  Are you a DC insider?  Do you have NASA Hq contacts?

You making conclusions based on no information and your skewed view of the events.

It is not an issue needing the NASA Admin's attention.  Just like cracks in the ET didn't

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #35 on: 09/01/2011 12:52 pm »
This thread seems to contain a lot of silly people who seem absolutely determined to find the worst possible misinterpretation of everything Bolden does (or doesn't do).

Has it occurred to you that it's really annoying (and usually counter-productive) when less-informed top brass parachute into your crisis and take ham-fisted control away from the actual experts?
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #36 on: 09/01/2011 01:08 pm »
Interesting. For such a "silly thread" people keep posting on it. Three pages now.

Not one report to moderator, by the way. And fair play to RS for not being shouted down too.

Those who are trying to shout him down are in the wrong here, as a lot of people are wondering about this very question on many sites. Best one I've read so far was:

"Maybe they are waiting for another scripted "increasing the awesome" video from Hank?"

Sorry folks, but that has more truth in it about how this current "leadership" works than some of you shouting the question down with "What a silly thread! I'm going to post on it and bump it up to the top of the section, that's bound to kill it".

Wakey, wakey! "No likely, no posty".
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #37 on: 09/01/2011 01:45 pm »
Those who are trying to shout him down are in the wrong here, as a lot of people are wondering about this very question on many sites. Best one I've read so far was:

"Maybe they are waiting for another scripted "increasing the awesome" video from Hank?"

Sorry folks, but that has more truth in it about how this current "leadership" works than some of you shouting the question down with "What a silly thread! I'm going to post on it and bump it up to the top of the section, that's bound to kill it".

With all due respect, Chris, I resent the implication that I'm shouting the question down -- I'm attempting to answer it. I'm still firmly of the opinion that Mr. Bolden is entirely in the right to be letting the experts on the ISS and on Russian launch systems (i.e. ISS management and Roscosmos) handle the situation. Since they're doing a good job of it, I see no need for Bolden to jump in, and can't see any meaningful benefit to NASA or the ISS by him doing so. Indeed, if he had, I have no doubt this thread would have been replaced by one in which the same anti-Bolden choir would complain about him butting in, making political capital out of the disaster, using it to distract from SLS issues, etc.

Also, sarcastic comments about Hank Green's well-meaning collaborations with NASA PAO being at all relevant to how NASA leadership works? ::) If you're going to jump on the Bolden-bashing bandwagon, I know you can do better than that.
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #38 on: 09/01/2011 01:53 pm »
Well, the thread is silly to some extent.  But consider that the recent Russian launch failure is, as ordained by Murphy, right on cue to demonstrate the poor US policy of premature shuttle retirement and grand program failure in Constellation.  To those who have been paying attention since at least VSE of 2004, the poor direction given by policy makers, the poor management by NASA, and the dysfuntionality of corporate insider meddling are also at play here.

In a way, there's a sort of a parallel between Bush's slow uptake on Katrina, and what could be described as Bolden's slow uptake on the obvious ramifications of the current lack of any crew launch ability for either country as of the other day, and for several months to come, in the rosiest of investigation scenarios.

I don't know what to say, except that I'm off to the south of France for the weekend.  I heard that Mr. Bolden has been spotted at a wine festival there.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #39 on: 09/01/2011 02:03 pm »
Firstly, don't take it so personally. I was responding to the thread, I didn't quote your post, nor was I aiming it at any one person.

I'm neither "anti-Bolden" or "jumping on the bashing the General bandwagon". I've already made it clear I respect him for his service. But I do think anyone who believes the current NASA leadership has been anything other than poor needs to stand back and check out the mess the Agency is current in.

As far the "well meaning videos". Sorry, but the one mentioned is fluffy and embarrassing, and not the only example and at a simplistic level is pure miscommunication.

Remember, it's not always the content or presentation, but the way things are communicated and not least the timing. Maybe you need to know a good amount of people who've lost their careers as a direct result of poor leadership (not the expected losses, but the extra losses from politically motivated delays and games), and then watch some grinning "Win the Future" video and try not to feel just a little bit miffed about the situation.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography