Author Topic: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion Thread 1  (Read 790105 times)

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
Re: SpaceX FH : Falcon Heavy Demo : early 2018 : Discussion
« Reply #800 on: 01/04/2018 06:10 pm »
Someone mentioned here that under a certain scenario, the S2 might need to fire for a Mars course correction quite a while after launch.
Too early for a significant course correction.

Where it is heading isn't Mars but Mars-like in distance/reach, so you don't need a course correction at all to get there.

What you could do is at furthest range do a burn to insure that the payload+F9US wasn't captured by the earth-moon system, but that would be chancy because it isn't the right geometry at the moment for various reasons.

Seems to me this would be an excellent opportunity to gather some more data points for the performance of the S2 engine under unique conditions.
The F9US would have to be outfitted for long duration. No signs of that at the moment.

And they'd have to have tracking assets to allow such, and that does not yet appear to be arranged for.

Offline Brian45

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #801 on: 01/04/2018 06:24 pm »
Well, it was just a thought. Eventually SpaceX will need to develop and/or ensure the capability of firing the engine after extended periods (days, weeks, months?) in space, so maybe someone at SpaceX said - what the heck, what do we have to lose?

Have they ever done this, firing the engine after a long period?

Again, just a thought. Maybe a little off-topic though.

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #802 on: 01/04/2018 06:34 pm »
Batteries won't last that long and there's no other way to generate power.

Well, it was just a thought. Eventually SpaceX will need to develop and/or ensure the capability of firing the engine after extended periods (days, weeks, months?) in space, so maybe someone at SpaceX said - what the heck, what do we have to lose?

Have they ever done this, firing the engine after a long period?

Again, just a thought. Maybe a little off-topic though.

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #803 on: 01/04/2018 06:35 pm »
FYI, someone who monitors the Facebook SpaceX group tells me they are saying that Playalinda Beach will be closed for the FH launch.  So, that's third hand information, but I thought it worth mentioning here because I have seen no such report here, just that we don't know yet either way.
« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 06:37 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #804 on: 01/04/2018 07:15 pm »
1 - Do we know if this is going to a direct TMI (or Mars-distance orbital injection) or whether they'll coast in earth orbit for a bit?
2 - I would assume for publicity purposes that Elon will have arranged an epic live video shot of the Tesla payload separating from the upper stage. Or do we think that they'll just have it remain attached to stage 2 for total simplicity?
1. They won't coast because they need to stay in range as long as possible to get tracking from Florida assets nothing elsewhere.
2. Very likely it'll remain with F9US because it's easier to track, has active control/telemetry for the life of the stage, and deals with disposal of stage.

Consensus seems to be direct injection and no separation, but there's no a lot of evidence either way. Only: longest S2 coast was for DSCOVR (30 min) & it would require S2 modifications for significantly longer; and no obvious hardware on the roadster (solar panels, comm antennas) to support a mission apart from the S2. Of course there could be surprises.
Attitude controls for a Tesla?  :o

If they inject directly into heliocentric orbit the apoapsis will be significantly out of the ecliptic and very far away from Mars. This might not be a bad thing, but it's not really a Mars-like orbit.

All GTO launches coast for about 1/4 orbit and relight over the equator. SpaceX obviously has the necessary tracking assets to do this, and even streams live video from the S2 over Africa, well out of range of the Florida stations. I see no reason why the TMI burn wouldn't also occur over Africa.

Offline 1

• El Segundo, CA
  • Liked: 749
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #805 on: 01/04/2018 08:45 pm »
If they inject directly into heliocentric orbit the apoapsis will be significantly out of the ecliptic and very far away from Mars. This might not be a bad thing, but it's not really a Mars-like orbit.

All GTO launches coast for about 1/4 orbit and relight over the equator. SpaceX obviously has the necessary tracking assets to do this, and even streams live video from the S2 over Africa, well out of range of the Florida stations. I see no reason why the TMI burn wouldn't also occur over Africa.

I imagine the equator is of little use for this launch, because the Earth is tilted a good 23ish degrees from the plane of the ecliptic.

As such, I assume SpaceX won't do much more than wait until the Earth rotates the rocket near the plane of the ecliptic and then just go for direct injection. Could probably zero out that 4 degree difference pretty easily if they really wanted to; but I too think that they'll deliberately send the stage slightly off-plane so they can guarantee that it will never hit Mars.

If they do need to go to an intermediate parking orbit, I think 23.5 degree is what they'd need to aim for.

Offline Heinrich

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #806 on: 01/04/2018 08:55 pm »
In case the above post (by 1) is right, what will the approximate launch time?
(Would be nice to know whether it will be within or outside of office hours)
« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 08:56 pm by Heinrich »

Offline atsf90east

• Olathe, KS USA, Earth
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #807 on: 01/04/2018 09:05 pm »
If Zuma is delayed until Sunday will the FH static fire at LC39A still happen on Saturday, or will it be pushed back until Zuma launches from LC40 so that manpower is not stretched too thin?
Attended Launches: Space Shuttle: STS-85, STS-95, STS-96, STS-103. Falcon 9: Thaicom-8

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #808 on: 01/04/2018 09:13 pm »
If Zuma is delayed until Sunday will the FH static fire at LC39A still happen on Saturday, or will it be pushed back until Zuma launches from LC40 so that manpower is not stretched too thin?
They could do it as currently scheduled but there a risk factor with ZUMA soon rolling to SLC-40 for PI. Will know sooner rather than later if they officially bump ZUMA to Sunday.

Offline Celestar

• Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #809 on: 01/04/2018 09:22 pm »

There's something else on board that has some relatively huge batteries ...

Celestar

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
« Reply #810 on: 01/04/2018 09:28 pm »
Yes expect direct injection - am very interested in how much C3 a kerolox cluster vehicle can impart.

If they launch in the late evening during December, they can direct inject close to optimal with Earth's orbital velocity in a "Mars-like" transfer orbit, a little above the plane. If they launch during the day, it'll be closer to the ecliptic but more out of plane with Mars, and likely an launch azimuth above 90.

Yes closer to the equator obviously will be better, but I wonder if only Florida tracking will be used for this launch.

In that case if they coast then they'll be over the horizon and have to use those other assets.

There are some advantages to keeping it all in the range. Especially for a new vehicle.

We don't know the issues that remain with the vehicle. Could be they need more time anyways. Which could also stretch static fire, as well as after static fire. Frankly I'm already amazed its assembled and having been erected at the pad so quickly. This isn't something that goes fast. Ever.

They could do it as currently scheduled but there a risk factor with ZUMA soon rolling to SLC-40 for PI. Will know sooner rather than later if they officially bump ZUMA to Sunday.
Speaking of the slowest of slow boats ... will this thing ever go? A real "high touch" mission ... <groan>.

Offline 1

• El Segundo, CA
  • Liked: 749
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #811 on: 01/04/2018 09:34 pm »

My WAG is that a direct injection launch in late January (approximately one month later) would happen somewhere around 22:00 Florida time. This is nothing more than running with the approximation that the "tipping over" of the northern hemisphere during southern solstice is centered at local midnight. After a month, that point should be about two hours earlier going with the normal 4 minute/day differential between sidereal time and civil time. Complete guess on my part; so don't plan your schedule around that.
« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 09:36 pm by 1 »

Offline kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #812 on: 01/04/2018 09:39 pm »
I doubt there are any batteries in the car and anyway they would need to be heated someway to get them to work good (I should know!). You would also need to connect it to the S2 which is not something they would do for a one shot deal.

There's something else on board that has some relatively huge batteries ...

Celestar

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 836
« Reply #813 on: 01/04/2018 11:08 pm »

My WAG is that a direct injection launch in late January (approximately one month later) would happen somewhere around 22:00 Florida time. This is nothing more than running with the approximation that the "tipping over" of the northern hemisphere during southern solstice is centered at local midnight. After a month, that point should be about two hours earlier going with the normal 4 minute/day differential between sidereal time and civil time. Complete guess on my part; so don't plan your schedule around that.

My guess would be about 6:00 PM (18:00) local time.  My reasoning is this:  injection is most efficient when exactly the opposite of the intended target.  To get maximum throw, they need the target to be tangent to the Earth's orbit.   This puts the opposite point at about 18:00 local time.   This is only true for direct injection - with a parking orbit, the earth departure burn needs to happen about 18:00 local time (in the probe's time zone) but the launch can be anytime.

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #814 on: 01/04/2018 11:15 pm »
A tweet showing the positions and workings of the holddown clamps. This seemed like the best place for it.

https://twitter.com/joebarnard/status/949059630352642048

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #815 on: 01/04/2018 11:27 pm »
That's just ... wildly inaccurate.  :P (Sure, there are 3 cores and 8 hold-downs, but everything else is way off)

EDIT: Looks like it is a closeup of a design for a FH model and its 3d printed pad hold downs. Here is a video clip a launch of a single core model: https://twitter.com/joebarnard/status/924506150254665729
« Last Edit: 01/04/2018 11:31 pm by Lars-J »

Offline envy887

« Reply #816 on: 01/05/2018 02:41 am »

I imagine the equator is of little use for this launch, because the Earth is tilted a good 23ish degrees from the plane of the ecliptic.

As such, I assume SpaceX won't do much more than wait until the Earth rotates the rocket near the plane of the ecliptic and then just go for direct injection. Could probably zero out that 4 degree difference pretty easily if they really wanted to; but I too think that they'll deliberately send the stage slightly off-plane so they can guarantee that it will never hit Mars.

If they do need to go to an intermediate parking orbit, I think 23.5 degree is what they'd need to aim for.

Good point. They would still need a second burn to reduce inclination to 23.5 degrees, but it would happen over the Atlantic somewhere, before reaching Africa. Or just inject directly and stay 4+ degrees out of plane.

Offline envy887

« Reply #817 on: 01/05/2018 02:44 am »

My guess would be about 6:00 PM (18:00) local time.  My reasoning is this:  injection is most efficient when exactly the opposite of the intended target.  To get maximum throw, they need the target to be tangent to the Earth's orbit.   This puts the opposite point at about 18:00 local time.   This is only true for direct injection - with a parking orbit, the earth departure burn needs to happen about 18:00 local time (in the probe's time zone) but the launch can be anytime.

Shouldn't that be midnight local time? For a Hohmann transfer, apoapsis and periapsis are on opposite sides of the sun, and the tangent to Earth is on the far side from the Sun.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #818 on: 01/05/2018 02:58 am »
Okay, so... and it ain’t going to be me due to the 12 SpaceX limit poll thread - but maybe it’s time for an unofficial poll - will the Tesla payload separate from the Falcon Heavy second stage?

I say yes - here’s my logic...

- Payload adapter. If you examine the photos, there seems to me to be separation mechanisms. Why add if not separating?

- Fairing. Even though not fully installed in the photos, why go through the expense to put in a fairing separation system if the payload will stay attached to the second stage?

(Okay, fine, that second point is easily arguable. Proof of concept, weight, photo op - there, I did it for you)

Regardless - my vote is separation. I simply don’t see it any other way. I can only see Elon wanting the Tesla in a slow tumble away from camera. Sorry - it’s just the only way I see it...

Edit/Lar: no such poll limit... this doesn't seem a good topic for a poll though.
« Last Edit: 01/05/2018 04:28 pm by Lar »
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 6109
  • Likes Given: 836
« Reply #819 on: 01/05/2018 03:10 am »

Shouldn't that be midnight local time? For a Hohmann transfer, apoapsis and periapsis are on opposite sides of the sun, and the tangent to Earth is on the far side from the Sun.

You want to leave Earth at midnight local time, but the way to do that is to burn at 18:00 local time, then the Earth bends the trajectory around 1/4 turn.   To see this, imagine a super long and skinny orbit around the Earth with a 40,000,000 km apogee.  If the long axis of this orbit is tangent to the Earth's orbit, then the perigee is at the trailing edge of Earth, or about 18:00 local time.  Since firing at perigee is the most efficient time, that's where the injection should be.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography