Author Topic: Bolden rumored to step down  (Read 20369 times)

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
Bolden rumored to step down
« on: 12/03/2012 09:41 pm »
If the rumors are true, let's launch a letter campaign to President Obama asking him to consider appointing Neil Degrasse Tyson to the position if NASA Administrator! Anyone familiar with Tyson should know he is the perfect candidate for the position. He's an astrophysicist and Director of the Hayden Planetarium. Anyone who's ever heard him speak can attest of his charismatic and inspiring persona. He definitely has the scientific background for the position. As Director if the Hayden Planetarium, he has also demonstrated experience in management of an organization. As NASA Administrator, he would understand the programs under NASA's supervision and I have no doubt he would also become personally involved with the details of those programs. His intelligent mind would seek the best use of NASA funds every budget cycle. His charismatic personality would help convince Congress, whenever he testifies before them, why they should approve NASA's requested budget on every cycle.

Any volunteers to help draft the petition?

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
Re: Bolden rumored to step down
« Reply #1 on: 12/03/2012 09:43 pm »
lol. Maybe see if he wants the job first?

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #2 on: 12/03/2012 09:43 pm »
If the rumors are true,

Any volunteers to help draft the petition?

Why?  The rumors aren't true. 
Also, managing a planetarium is not the same as an aerospace organization.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #3 on: 12/03/2012 09:46 pm »
1.   he would understand the programs under NASA's supervision and I have
 2.  no doubt he would also become personally involved with the details of those programs.

3.  His intelligent mind would seek the best use of NASA funds every budget cycle.

1.  You can't say that.  There are many.
2.  He can't.  There isn't enough time in the day, nor would he or others want him to.
3.  That isn't his call

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
« Reply #4 on: 12/04/2012 12:34 am »
What I mean is that he would get intimately involved. He would be "hands on" versus "hands off" and would actually understand much of the technicalities of NASA's programs. No one can deny his resourceful knowledge and education in space sciences and his inspiring charisma, which I think NASA needs in its leadership. Many NASA administrators were never aerospace executives or managers, so regardless of how small the Hayden Planetarium may be in comparison, that's more management experience than many former administrators had. Dick Truly was an astronaut prior. Sean O'Keefe worked in the OMB. Dan Golden was the only one in recent memory who did work as an aerospace companu executive prior. Bolden got management experience from running DoD programs.

What I meant by managing the budget for NASA funds was that he would play an important part in the budget process, not spend on a discrepancy basis. He would help formulate a plan that he would be part of the President's budget request process, making the case why they need more for that and less for that other thing. Later, he would be NASA's soldier in the hearing halls of Congress, making the case - in the compelling fashion he is known for - for why Congress should approve the President's requested budget. He would be out there in the front lines fighting for that budget year after year without tire.

That's just how I see it. It's okay to disagree.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #5 on: 12/04/2012 12:56 am »
What I mean is that he would get intimately involved. He would be "hands on" versus "hands off" and would actually understand much of the technicalities of NASA's programs. No one can deny his resourceful knowledge and education in space sciences and his inspiring charisma, which I think NASA needs in its leadership. Many NASA administrators were never aerospace executives or managers, so regardless of how small the Hayden Planetarium may be in comparison, that's more management experience than many former administrators had. Dick Truly was an astronaut prior. Sean O'Keefe worked in the OMB. Dan Golden was the only one in recent memory who did work as an aerospace companu executive prior. Bolden got management experience from running DoD programs.

What I meant by managing the budget for NASA funds was that he would play an important part in the budget process, not spend on a discrepancy basis. He would help formulate a plan that he would be part of the President's budget request process, making the case why they need more for that and less for that other thing. Later, he would be NASA's soldier in the hearing halls of Congress, making the case - in the compelling fashion he is known for - for why Congress should approve the President's requested budget. He would be out there in the front lines fighting for that budget year after year without tire.

That's just how I see it. It's okay to disagree.

It isn't disagreeing, it pointing out where you are wrong.  especially about prior Admintstrator experience.  Tyson has much less experience than any of them

Truly was in charge of the Navy Space Command. 
O'Keefe was the Secretary of the Navy.
Bolden commaned I Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD) And the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing.

Administrator's job is not to be hands on.  Griffin was and it was bad.

And you don't think Bolden was involved with budget formulation and fighting for it?   Tyson isn't going to do anything different.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 01:09 am by Jim »

Offline Sparky

• Connecticut
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 12/04/2012 01:26 am »
As much as I love Neil deGrasse Tyson, I don't know that he would be the best NASA Administrator. Spokesperson? Maybe. I'm sure that there ARE roles that he could serve inside NASA, but leave the bean counting to bean counters.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 12/04/2012 01:44 am »
He's amazing, no question - but isn't the Admin job far too "politically boring" for someone like him....and he'd have to follow orders, like Gen. Bolden had to with FY2011 etc?

He's probably more use doing what he's doing and fighting for NASA from outside of NASA?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline OpsAnalyst

« Reply #8 on: 12/04/2012 01:54 am »
He's amazing, no question - but isn't the Admin job far too "politically boring" for someone like him....and he'd have to follow orders, like Gen. Bolden had to with FY2011 etc?

He's probably more use doing what he's doing and fighting for NASA from outside of NASA?

Bingo.

There is great value in having people on the outside who both challenge and champion agency goals and leadership, with independent minds and voices.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 01:54 am by OpsAnalyst »

Offline nethegauner

• Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #9 on: 12/04/2012 01:28 pm »

I absolutely concur! Let him rekindle everyone's interest in spaceflight and science with his "Cosmos" sequel . . ! Let him continue with "StarTalk Radio" and to write those excellent books.

I cannot imagine him as administrator.

No offense intended, but when I read the first message in the thread, I honestly thought that was some kind of a joke. Sorry, PeterAlt: I am a fan of Tyson's, too, but I think the NASA boss thing would be a step in the wrong direction. If You lobbied for him as a "special advisor" to the next NASA leader, then I would sign Your petition . . !

But then, I am not an American, so that wouldn't be helpful, would it . . ?

;)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #10 on: 12/04/2012 01:37 pm »

;)

Just call yourself "Brek" and remember to say "soccer"....they'll never know ;D
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Bill White

• Chicago area
« Reply #11 on: 12/04/2012 01:48 pm »
+1

;)

Just call yourself "Brek" and remember to say "soccer"....they'll never know ;D
EML architectures should be seen as ratchet opportunities

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #12 on: 12/04/2012 01:51 pm »
Note that NASA's best administrator was not an aerospace professional or scientist.

Jim, Griffin did have management experience in managing the space department of Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab.

Tyson has replaced Carl Sagan as the USA's scientific voice. Let's not forget Paul Spudis and Bob Zubrin. Like Tyson, these people are best using their influence to shape NASA from the outside.

Offline SpacexULA

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 73
« Reply #13 on: 12/04/2012 01:56 pm »
Some of our most productive Adminstrators where people very comfortable walking the halls of Congress.  That does not seem to be Dr Tyson.

IF Bolden stepped down I think Olympia Snowe would be the best choice.  She stepped down partially because of partisanship, and she is a former member of the science comittee.  I know she is a Republican, but being a member of the Gang of 14 she proved she has a bipartisan bone or 2 in her.

No Bucks no Buck Rogers, but at least Flexible path gets you Twiki.

Offline Gene DiGennaro

• Armchair Astronaut
  • Baltimore, Md
    • Glenn L. Martin Maryland Aviation Museum
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #14 on: 12/04/2012 02:09 pm »
I'd nominate Alan Mullaly, CEO of Ford, but came from Boeing.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #15 on: 12/04/2012 02:15 pm »
Anybody but Garver.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #16 on: 12/04/2012 02:37 pm »
You want an administrator who can navigate the politics, not the technicals. Leave the engineering to the various department heads. Admin needs to get the funding and keep the hand that feeds happy. Somewhere along the way he or she should also implement national space policy.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 07:10 pm by wolfpack »

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
« Reply #17 on: 12/04/2012 02:47 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

This. And given the need for Senate confirmation, I doubt she'll get nominated. She's just too political for the top job.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #18 on: 12/04/2012 04:42 pm »
Here's a wild one, but can a former Senator apply?

Or is Sen Hutchison retiring from public service entirely?

I know, I know, but imagine how fast she'd get stuff through that big white building in DC!
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 04:43 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline aquanaut99

• Liked: 33
« Reply #19 on: 12/04/2012 04:48 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

Why is that? After all, the SLS-haters could be happy with her as admin, given her track-record of anti-govt, pro-private spaceflight?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #20 on: 12/04/2012 04:52 pm »

NASA Administrator would be a demotion for him.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Reply #21 on: 12/04/2012 05:21 pm »

I know, I know, but imagine how fast she'd get stuff through that big white building in DC!

She could but the chances of Obama choosing her are slim to none. She is unlikely to pursue the Administation's agenda for NASA (e.g., commercializing space and NASA becoming more of a research and development agency).
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 05:25 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #22 on: 12/04/2012 06:06 pm »

She could but the chances of Obama choosing her are slim to none. She is unlikely to pursue the Administation's agenda for NASA (e.g., commercializing space and NASA becoming more of a research and development agency).

Thanks! Especially for having the patience to answer one of my question on politics..... ;D

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #23 on: 12/04/2012 06:40 pm »
I really don’t like to bury the good General before his time; but if I had to select someone it would be in the mold of James Webb...

http://history.nasa.gov/Biographies/webb.html
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #24 on: 12/04/2012 08:25 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

Why is that? After all, the SLS-haters could be happy with her as admin, given her track-record of anti-govt, pro-private spaceflight?

Yes, exactly - if Garver had her way, NASA would become a small office in DC that did nothing but issue contracts to industry all day.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #25 on: 12/04/2012 08:32 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

Yes, exactly - if Garver had her way, NASA would become a small office in DC that did nothing but issue contracts to industry all day.
Too late; NASA's contractor workforce FAR exceeds its civil servant workforce and has for many years before Garver came into the picture.

But yeah, private industry is for communists.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #26 on: 12/04/2012 08:45 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

Heh! I've never known you to be so controversial! ;D

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #27 on: 12/04/2012 08:48 pm »
Before Bolden was nominated, the rumor was Charles Kennel was being considered for the position. I don't know whether he was rejected or simply not chosen.

In all likelihood, Bolden stays.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2012 08:48 pm by arachnitect »

Offline Delta7

• Liked: 22
« Reply #28 on: 12/04/2012 08:53 pm »
Newt Gingrich. He'd push for a lunar base, plus NASA would be in the news daily because of something he said.  ;)

But since we know that won't happen, I like Kevin Chilton IF Bolden leaves.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #29 on: 12/04/2012 09:00 pm »

Heh, maybe that's why I don't hang out in the policy section too much! :)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #30 on: 12/04/2012 09:19 pm »
Newt Gingrich. He'd push for a lunar base, plus NASA would be in the news daily because of something he said.  ;)

Nice!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #31 on: 12/04/2012 09:53 pm »

Heh, maybe that's why I don't hang out in the policy section too much! :)
You’re an anarchist Pete!  ;D

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
« Reply #32 on: 12/04/2012 10:17 pm »
This may be even further "out there" but if Sen. Bill Nelson retires from the Senate, he could be a good choice. Don't forget, he authored the 2010 NASA Authorization. If anyone, he has a good understanding of NASA's programs and policies. No other choice has a better understanding of Congressional politics.

Well, he was just re-elected for another term (thank God), so hopefully he still can do some good for NASA in the coming years through the halls of Congress!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #33 on: 12/04/2012 10:46 pm »
Oh we could throw a hail mary pass and get 51D in charge of the show! :)

None of my business as an Englishman, but that would be good!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #34 on: 12/05/2012 12:43 am »
If NASA Administrator were an elected position, and the voters were NSF members, I suspect that Wayne Hale might win.  :)

- Ed Kyle

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
« Reply #35 on: 12/05/2012 12:46 am »
If NASA Administrator were an elected position, and the voters were NSF members, I suspect that Wayne Hale might win.  :)

- Ed Kyle
He'd definitely get my vote.

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #36 on: 12/05/2012 02:04 am »
Oh we could throw a hail mary pass and get 51D in charge of the show! :)

None of my business as an Englishman, but that would be good!

That would be too sweet.

(or Wayne Hale), as neither would suit the position of 'deputy'.

Offline mgfitter

• Liked: 19
« Reply #37 on: 12/05/2012 03:12 am »
I'm certain that Garver's going to get it.

She always ran this show, right from Obama's transition team. WH loves her because she's perceived as all-commercial-all-the-time and not beholden to old.space special interests. They also really want more women in charge of fed. agencies.

The only reason she didn't get it in the last term was because she didn't quite have sufficient experience at this level of seniority. Four years as DA means that's no longer the case.

Like her or loathe her, she is a virtual lock-in if/when Bolden retires. Perhaps more importantly, as the existing DA she automatically takes over the reins, even if the Senate doesn't want to confirm her officially.

-MG

Offline Tea Party Space Czar

• President, Tea Party in Space
  • TEA Party in Space Czar
  • Washington DC
  • Liked: 294
  • Likes Given: 284
« Reply #38 on: 12/05/2012 03:17 am »
I'm certain that Garver's going to get it.

She always ran this show, right from Obama's transition team. WH loves her because she's perceived as all-commercial-all-the-time and not beholden to old.space special interests. They also really want more women in charge of fed. agencies.

The only reason she didn't get it in the last term was because she didn't quite have sufficient experience at this level of seniority. Four years as DA means that's no longer the case.

Like her or loathe her, she is a virtual lock-in if/when Bolden retires. Perhaps more importantly, as the existing DA she automatically takes over the reins, even if the Senate doesn't want to confirm her officially.

-MG

If General Bolden does step down, I also hope Lori Garver gets it.  Straight Shooter.  Balanced and knows what has to be done.

I can just imagine walking into to Senator Hatch's office now: 

Yes I would like to speak to XXXXXXXX about supporting Lori Garver for NASA Administrator. 

I think Senator Shelby would be spicy too ;)

Respectfully,
Andrew Gasser
TEA Party in Space

Offline joek

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1096
« Reply #39 on: 12/05/2012 03:22 am »
I see a lot of speculation on these threads (or maybe wishful thinking?), but is there really much substance to the rumors of Bolden stepping down?

Offline RigelFive

• I hope that you relish Tranya as much I
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #40 on: 12/05/2012 05:55 am »
If true, just want to say I think he was a great spokesperson and administrator for NASA.  I watched his testimonies to the committees in congress.  He did a tremendous job. 

Offline peter-b

• Dr. Peter Brett
  • Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #41 on: 12/05/2012 08:30 am »
I don't understand where people get the impression that Garver has an "all 'Newspace' all the time" attitude. That's not my perception of her from watching interviews, speeches, etc.; to me, it just seems like she's got bags of enthusiasm for everything  NASA's doing. I think she'd make a pretty decent Administrator.
Research Scientist (Sensors), Sharp Laboratories of Europe, UK

Offline yg1968

« Reply #42 on: 12/05/2012 02:44 pm »
I see a lot of speculation on these threads (or maybe wishful thinking?), but is there really much substance to the rumors of Bolden stepping down?

Jim says that the rumors aren't true. I can't say that I trust NW on some of these rumors.
« Last Edit: 12/06/2012 05:19 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Wayne Hale

• Liked: 402
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #43 on: 12/05/2012 06:31 pm »
It was very nice to see people nominate me as potential NASA administrator.  But frankly, I do not have the right still set.  To be a successful head of agency in the American federal system requires that one must be experienced and adept in the ways of getting things done in Washington.  James Webb was perfect for his place in history.  Technical people (where I would like to include myself) just don't do well.  Admiral Truly - a great man - was not successful as administrator because that was not his primary skill.  I could give other examples but you can guess. 

So, thoughtful as the nomination was, I think you should keep looking for a better successor to Charley.  Not that I believe he is leaving any time soon, by the way. 

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #44 on: 12/05/2012 10:55 pm »
Some of our most productive Adminstrators where people very comfortable walking the halls of Congress.  That does not seem to be Dr Tyson.

IF Bolden stepped down I think Olympia Snowe would be the best choice.  She stepped down partially because of partisanship, and she is a former member of the science comittee.  I know she is a Republican, but being a member of the Gang of 14 she proved she has a bipartisan bone or 2 in her.

My choice is still Former Sen. KBH.   A true fit for NASA.
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #45 on: 12/06/2012 12:45 pm »
Oh we could throw a hail mary pass and get 51D in charge of the show!

I suggested that two years ago.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Political Hack Wannabe

• Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #46 on: 12/07/2012 01:27 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

So, does that mean you don't want NASA being able to buy a ride to the moon from Golden Spike?
It's not democrats vs republicans, it's reality vs innumerate space cadet fantasy.

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #47 on: 12/07/2012 02:10 pm »

My choice is still Former Sen. KBH.   A true fit for NASA.

No.  No concept of how to manage an organization or balance a budget.  She keeps on trying to save SLS at the expense of any program besides EWST.

Ultimate nightmare scenario.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #48 on: 12/07/2012 02:15 pm »
Good work so far with this thread guys, really wanted to something "political" outside of the political section to allow everyone to post on something this important.

My question would be, if there is to be a change of leadership, when should we expect such a process to begin.

If there is no change of leadership, do they "announce" that too?

Offline RocketEconomist327

• Rocket Economist
  • Infecting the beltway with fiscal responsibility, limited government, and free markets.
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #49 on: 12/07/2012 02:27 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

This. And given the need for Senate confirmation, I doubt she'll get nominated. She's just too political for the top job.

Simply not true.  There more Democrats now in the senate than before because the Republicans cannot run a campaign.  She is qualified and people do like her, despite what some here would have you believe.

Anybody but Garver.

Pure hyperbole - you have no evidence to suggest this.  Moreover, I know this is not to be the case.  She brings something a lot of people do not want right now at NASA, accountability.

VR
RE327
You can talk about all the great things you can do, or want to do, in space; but unless the rocket scientists get a sound understanding of economics (and quickly), the US space program will never achieve the greatness it should.

Putting my money where my mouth is.

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #50 on: 12/07/2012 02:49 pm »
It was very nice to see people nominate me as potential NASA administrator.  But frankly, I do not have the right still set.  To be a successful head of agency in the American federal system requires that one must be experienced and adept in the ways of getting things done in Washington.  James Webb was perfect for his place in history.  Technical people (where I would like to include myself) just don't do well.  Admiral Truly - a great man - was not successful as administrator because that was not his primary skill.  I could give other examples but you can guess. 

So, thoughtful as the nomination was, I think you should keep looking for a better successor to Charley.  Not that I believe he is leaving any time soon, by the way. 

Wayne-  I absolutely agree.  A person who is able to navigate the power structure and get things done is what is needed, and James Webb was the penultimate model.  Just as he was charting a new direction for NASA during his tenure, a new incumbent is faced with the similar challenges.  IMO, it requires a politically savvy individual who is also a visionary and leader.

Offline Jason Davies

• Regular
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #51 on: 12/07/2012 02:59 pm »

Pure hyperbole - you have no evidence to suggest this.  Moreover, I know this is not to be the case.  She brings something a lot of people do not want right now at NASA, accountability.

VR
RE327

I think it's unfortunate such a post follows one from Chris praising the thread. Your opinion is not backed up by the evidence of what is clearly an Agency without direction and far weaker before the current leaders were in charge.

Please see the numerous reports and commentary to show you opinion is not backed by people more knowledgeable in the subject than you or I.

Yes, Pete's comment was a bit dramatic, but your shouting of it down is not helping your opinion

Offline notsorandom

• Ohio
  • Liked: 438
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #52 on: 12/07/2012 03:11 pm »
Anybody but Garver.

Simply not true.  There more Democrats now in the senate than before because the Republicans cannot run a campaign.  She is qualified and people do like her, despite what some here would have you believe.

Anybody but Garver.

VR
RE327
The Senate has likely not forgotten that it had to issue a subpoena to NASA last year. The subpoena was issued by a Senate and committee controlled by the Democratic party. The majority of that committee remains intact after the last election. Any hypothetical vote to confirm Lori Garver can not simply be understood by looking at it as a partisan vote.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2012 03:12 pm by notsorandom »

Offline yg1968

« Reply #53 on: 12/07/2012 03:13 pm »
Good work so far with this thread guys, really wanted to something "political" outside of the political section to allow everyone to post on something this important.

My question would be, if there is to be a change of leadership, when should we expect such a process to begin.

I don't think that there is a specific timeline given that there is no change in Presidents. But Obama's second term officially starts on January 20th 2013. So changes are more likely to be announced before January 20th 2013.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2012 03:15 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #54 on: 12/07/2012 04:35 pm »
So, does that mean you don't want NASA being able to buy a ride to the moon from Golden Spike?

No, not at all - I'm a full supporter of the commercial crew program, and I think that NASA should work hand-in-hand with industry, with both government and non-government complimenting each other. But I don't think that NASA should just contract *everything* out to industry - NASA is more than that (well, to me, anyway).

Fair enough, I'll admit that having someone who knows how to navigate the political scene is vital for the job of NASA Admin, and Garver certainly does bring things to the table in that regard, but - to build on my comments above - I think she's too much in the commercial "camp" to represent ALL of what NASA is/should be.

It's documented elsewhere that Garver wanted Shuttle dead and buried, and tried her upmost best to stall SLS and Orion, while all the time advocating for massive funding increases for commercial crew. Now, as I've said, I fully support commercial crew (I was against cutting its budget), but as for canceling everything else NASA does in HSF and just farming all the money out to commercial companies - no, I just can't support that, for a variety of reasons (which I won't go into in detail, but they include skepticism as to the true viability of non-government HSF business, lack of sound business rationale for commercial exploration of space, and just not wanting space to become about watching celebrities walk on the moon).
« Last Edit: 12/07/2012 04:36 pm by Space Pete »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #55 on: 12/07/2012 04:59 pm »

No, not at all - I'm a full supporter of the commercial crew program, and I think that NASA should work hand-in-hand with industry, with both government and non-government complimenting each other. But I don't think that NASA should just contract *everything* out to industry - NASA is more than that (well, to me, anyway).

There is no need for NASA as much inhouse work anymore, when the expertise is now in industry. 

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #56 on: 12/07/2012 05:48 pm »

There is no need for NASA as much inhouse work anymore, when the expertise is now in industry. 

remember you said that when the next round of pink slips gets sent out.

Next budget will soon be announced I expect major cuts in aerospace to "save funds".

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #57 on: 12/07/2012 05:55 pm »

Next budget will soon be announced I expect major cuts in aerospace to "save funds".

If there are major cuts in aerospace, it doesn't matter if it is inhouse or contracted.  Cuts don't affect NASA civil servants, unless there is a RIF, which is not going happen.  Same goes for your major cuts.
« Last Edit: 12/07/2012 05:56 pm by Jim »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #58 on: 12/07/2012 06:03 pm »

If there are major cuts in aerospace, it doesn't matter if it is inhouse or contracted.  Cuts don't affect NASA civil servants, unless there is a RIF, which is not going happen.  Same goes for your major cuts.

I sure hope your right, just don't see the signs of any progress.   In the back of my mind I keep remembering that the WH wants to use the NASA funds in the educational dept.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #59 on: 12/07/2012 06:32 pm »

Here is some info Chris...

http://www.opm.gov/transition/trans20r-ch1.htm

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is an important metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 1257
  • Likes Given: 724
« Reply #60 on: 12/07/2012 06:55 pm »
The Senate has likely not forgotten that it had to issue a subpoena to NASA last year. The subpoena was issued by a Senate and committee controlled by the Democratic party. The majority of that committee remains intact after the last election. Any hypothetical vote to confirm Lori Garver can not simply be understood by looking at it as a partisan vote.

Just adding that the Democratic committee issued a subpoena to a Democratic Administrator.  Other political games besides partisanship were at play.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #61 on: 12/07/2012 11:24 pm »
It's documented elsewhere that Garver ... tried her upmost best to stall SLS and Orion.

Where is the documentation, please?

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #62 on: 12/07/2012 11:41 pm »
This thread is ridiculous Charlie is not stepping down anytime soon.

And Tyson would never accept.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline Todd Martin

• Stacy, MN
  • Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 113
« Reply #63 on: 12/08/2012 12:09 am »
I would be thrilled with Lori Garver as NASA Administrator.  From President's Obama's point of view, her selection as successor to Bolden is a safe choice and has a few advantages:

1) She is a qualified; serving successfully as the Deputy Administrator.
2) She brings diversity, would be 1st female Administrator.
3) Senate confirmation can be trumped.  If Bolden resigns, she is acting Administrator without confirmation.  Obama can simply keep that the status quo for 4 years if the Senate won't play ball.
4) She is very good at public speaking and media appearances.  Gaffe free.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography