Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2  (Read 643498 times)

Offline Garrett

• France
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 113
Re: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #740 on: 12/22/2014 09:12 am »
The 1+6 seating in that photo looks like 6 are passengers and only one gets to work the knobs.
That's the "commercial" concept for seven passengers. The version for NASA will likely carry only four crew members and the seating layout will look more like what's shown in the attached photo
(i.e. two crew members at the controls)
- "Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." - Indiana Jones

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #741 on: 12/22/2014 05:19 pm »
The 1+6 seating in that photo looks like 6 are passengers and only one gets to work the knobs.
That's the "commercial" concept for seven passengers. The version for NASA will likely carry only four crew members and the seating layout will look more like what's shown in the attached photo

IIRC commercial crew vehicles is suppose to be lifeboat for 7 personnel. So seating will be needed for 7.

It puzzle me why you need 2 pilots to monitor an autonomous automatic docking, unless you are proposing manual docking to the ISS.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #742 on: 12/22/2014 05:23 pm »

IIRC commercial crew vehicles is suppose to be lifeboat for 7 personnel. So seating will be needed for 7.

It puzzle me why you need 2 pilots to monitor an autonomous automatic docking, unless you are proposing manual docking to the ISS.

CST-100 ISS version has 5 seats.

Offline TrevorMonty

Here is presentation on CST100 (6 Feb 13)

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/archivelist.htm

They deliberately took a low cost (internal cost), low technology risk approach. Using as much existing in in-house technology they had ie  what can we use from our extensive parts bin.
CST-100 is only designed for LEO there is no BLEO capabilities built into it.

NASA were not after new technology just reliable transport to ISS that will be built on schedule and to a fix cost.
NASA definitely didn't want another Spaceship Two where it is always 2yrs away from flying.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #744 on: 12/24/2014 12:43 am »

The commercial companies may design a vehicle that can carry whatever they want - seems both are targeting about 7.  However, NASA requires to be able to send 1, 2, 3 or 4.    There are no requirements or official plans to have it as a lifeboat for 7. 

Manual docking is also a requirement for the CCP.  The big debate is that means different things to different people - for example, does it mean fully taking the stick and piloting under 6 degrees of freedom?  On top of the fault tolerance of an autonomous vehicle that is a pretty hefty addition (cost, complexity).  But even then, NASA will train a backup person for piloting the vehicle.  If for no other contigency, deconditioned crews may need the help on returning.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #745 on: 12/24/2014 01:21 am »

They're not. They're only required to serve as a lifeboat for a crew of four.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline fast

• Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #746 on: 12/25/2014 09:49 am »
What are the engines Boeing is planning to use for CST abort system?
I mean those 4 big nozzles at the bottom of SM, I suppose those are abort motors?

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #747 on: 12/25/2014 01:47 pm »
 It seems like capability to evacuate 7 would be a good thing to have. If something major requiring evacuation caused Soyuz to be unavailable it would be kind of rude to just leave three people behind.
 Two qualified pilots would be because they want piloted mode to be redundant in itself and not just a redundancy for automatic operation.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #748 on: 12/25/2014 03:08 pm »
It seems like capability to evacuate 7 would be a good thing to have. If something major requiring evacuation caused Soyuz to be unavailable it would be kind of rude to just leave three people behind.
Seats and carrying capacity in an emergency are two different things. Apollo was determined to be able to carry 6 people back from Skylab in an emergency, despite only having 3 seats. A couple people may not have a comfortable ride back, but they'll have a ride back.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #749 on: 12/25/2014 03:15 pm »
One issue I've just now realized, is that a catastrophic failure that required the crew to leave in a matter of minutes, might prevent to ago across the station. Thus, having your crewed crafts on each side might be an important security consideration. From that point of view, current Commercial Crew seems like a good solution. Regrettably, the RS won't have enough Soyuzes once the Americans start using their own vehicles. Of course that current situation is worse with all escape vehicles on one side.

Offline brihath

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #750 on: 12/25/2014 03:19 pm »
The plan with Apollo was to add 2 couches and launch with a crew of 2 to rescue the 3 crew onboard Skylab.  This option was considered in 1974 during the third Skylab mission due to a failed thruster quad.  Vance Brand and Don Lind were selected as the rescue crew, but further analysis of the failure determined that a rescue was not necessary.

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #751 on: 12/25/2014 04:39 pm »
 Two qualified pilots would be because they want piloted mode to be redundant in itself and not just a redundancy for automatic operation.

Yes, that would be nice, but it is not required.  The cost of keeping a spare spacecraft for an extremely unlikely event is not practical.   Equipment and procedures are designed to not be rude to anyone.  There is always some risk in space so unless you have a spare 7 seater on both ends there is still a chance you could cut someone off.  Most likely such a catastrophic event (e.g., MMOD hit) will kill the crew but we hope to give every advantage possible.    Even the idea of being able to launch a spare empty spacecraft to rescue the crew is not required - it would be a nice capabilitya nd hopefully with two companies, one is always ready for that sort of case but no one is planning that hard for that contingency (bigger fish to worry about frying).

Two pilots help for redudnancy and to assist each other.  If you are having a bad day where you are manually flying the vehicle, having two sets of eyes to check each other and offload each other is very useful, especially when you are coming home after 6 months.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #752 on: 12/25/2014 08:46 pm »
I mean those 4 big nozzles at the bottom of SM, I suppose those are abort motors?
RS-88 by Aerojet-Rocketdyne.  N2O4/MMH so that propellant can be used during mission (retro burn primarily) if not for abort.

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 12/25/2014 08:49 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion THREAD 2
« Reply #753 on: 12/26/2014 04:55 am »
RS-88 by Aerojet-Rocketdyne.  N2O4/MMH so that propellant can be used during mission (retro burn primarily) if not for abort.

- Ed Kyle

I thought it was a modified RS-88 that uses KeroLox? Or I could be mistaken.
« Last Edit: 12/26/2014 04:56 am by Lars-J »

Offline USFdon

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #754 on: 12/26/2014 06:13 am »
The original RS-88 Bantam ran on Ethanol/LOX. This variant runs on hypergolics with an ablative nozzle if I'm not mistaken.

Offline tesla

• Researcher
  • State College, PA, USA
  • Liked: 51
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #755 on: 01/23/2015 09:03 am »
Does anyone have a link to a data sheet of general CST 100 properties? Like how is it powered? How long can it stay under its own LSS. How does the integrated LAS work? Propellants used? etc. And maybe some launch vehilce data would be nice too.

THANK YOU!!!!  :D
Go SLS and Orion! God bless America.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #756 on: 01/23/2015 04:49 pm »
Does anyone have a link to a data sheet of general CST 100 properties? Like how is it powered? How long can it stay under its own LSS. How does the integrated LAS work? Propellants used? etc. And maybe some launch vehilce data would be nice too.

Old, but probably most comprehensive: http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Reiley_2-6-13/

Power: Batteries with solar panel "mission kit" to help maintain charge

Nominal Endurance: 48 hours.

LAS is a pusher setup using 4 modified RS-88 motors mounted in the Service module along with attitude control thrusters mounted in "doghouse" pods around the SM. Propellants are NTO/MMH.

Launch Vehicle is Atlas V 422. Usually lots of information about Atlas available, but this will be a new variant so not as much data out there.

Offline tesla

• Researcher
  • State College, PA, USA
« Reply #757 on: 01/24/2015 10:38 am »

Old, but probably most comprehensive: http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Reiley_2-6-13/

Power: Batteries with solar panel "mission kit" to help maintain charge

Nominal Endurance: 48 hours.

LAS is a pusher setup using 4 modified RS-88 motors mounted in the Service module along with attitude control thrusters mounted in "doghouse" pods around the SM. Propellants are NTO/MMH.

Launch Vehicle is Atlas V 422. Usually lots of information about Atlas available, but this will be a new variant so not as much data out there.

Thanks! And so it is solar powered? But where are the solar panels in all the CST 100 pictures? Or is it only battery powered in the initial config?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #758 on: 01/24/2015 02:14 pm »
The arrays are a mission kit applied on the underside of the service module, between the abort thrusters.  Bottom right on the attached image,

« Last Edit: 01/24/2015 02:19 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Offline tesla

• Researcher
  • State College, PA, USA
« Reply #759 on: 01/24/2015 05:59 pm »
The arrays are a mission kit applied on the underside of the service module, between the abort thrusters.  Bottom right on the attached image,

Thank you so much!  :D And sorry for this stupid question, but what does the name "mission kit" mean? Does it mean that it will be added only if a mission requires the 'kit'?

Btw. what a beautiful spacecraft. Just incredible. Maybe ESA astronauts will get a ride on this one to orbit one day. :)
« Last Edit: 01/24/2015 06:01 pm by tesla »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography