Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : X-37B OTV-5 : September 7, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 246201 times)

Offline vaporcobra

It's Boeing, so free to use.

MM is Boeing-related? I mainly just want to make sure I'm crediting and linking to the primary source.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 : X-37B OTV-5 : September 2017 : DISCUSSION
« Reply #241 on: 09/05/2017 09:51 pm »

MM is Boeing-related? I mainly just want to make sure I'm crediting and linking to the primary source.
AFAIK, No. MM is reposting photo and video from Boeing Media Room site.

Offline vaporcobra

Gotcha. Anyone have a direct link to the source?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #243 on: 09/05/2017 10:25 pm »

Gotcha. Anyone have a direct link to the source?
Most photo and video in Boeing MediaRoom requires login credentials (http://boeing.mediaroom.com/)

Chris might know where the originals are as I have no clue.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #244 on: 09/06/2017 05:33 am »
Please forgive my lack of imagination but why is there a need to keep the launch time secret for so long? We will be able to see the launch so it doesn't stay a secret. X-37B is large enough to be easily tracked even without knowing the exact launch time. What is the reason to drag this out?

Offline raketa

• Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #245 on: 09/06/2017 05:52 am »
Please forgive my lack of imagination but why is there a need to keep the launch time secret for so long? We will be able to see the launch so it doesn't stay a secret. X-37B is large enough to be easily tracked even without knowing the exact launch time. What is the reason to drag this out?
That NK is not sure to the last moment that is going to fly over their territory. :)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #246 on: 09/06/2017 09:56 am »

I imagine it's to do with other countries on orbit reconnaissance assets.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #247 on: 09/06/2017 10:31 am »
Do we think any implications for the webcast? Eg only short notice just prior to the webcast of when it will be, or even no live webcast, just a recording later? (although I imagine there'll still be people posting on twitter when any venting is observed)

Offline Chris Bergin

Yeah, Boeing's always had a login for media (found mine again) and that's all it is. Fine to reproduce on a news media site (which we, you and MM belong to). Just credit Boeing, job done.

The login is just a throwback to years ago.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #249 on: 09/06/2017 01:07 pm »
Prevents other nations from pre-positioning assets which may move slowly.  An orbit takes ~90 minutes, so obscuring the exact time may cause an unfriendly nation to have a particular asset on the exact wrong side of the planet (180° out of phase).  In fact, they may be delaying the choice of the exact time in order to ensure that this happens.  Some cat and mouse.

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #250 on: 09/06/2017 03:17 pm »
Prevents other nations from pre-positioning assets which may move slowly.  An orbit takes ~90 minutes, so obscuring the exact time may cause an unfriendly nation to have a particular asset on the exact wrong side of the planet (180° out of phase).  In fact, they may be delaying the choice of the exact time in order to ensure that this happens.  Some cat and mouse.

That makes sense. Thank you!

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
« Reply #251 on: 09/06/2017 03:28 pm »
Space weather question re: sunspot active region 2673

Has there been any mention of whether solar activity will threaten tomorrow's scheduled launch?  AR2673 is facing Earth ("geoeffective").

AR2673 produced several M class solar flares on September 4 UTC, with the associated coronal mass ejection (CME) striking Earth today and tomorrow.

Earlier today, the same AR produced a X2 class solar flare, followed by a X9 class solar flare at 1202 UTC.  It's unknown as of my post whether or not this flare produced a CME.

http://spaceweather.com/

EDIT to add mention of today's X2 class flare, kevin-rf's post, and the gif attached to his post.

I think SpaceX just lost control of the X making machine, The sun just beltched out a long duration X2 and X9 flare...
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 03:52 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #252 on: 09/06/2017 04:08 pm »
Space weather question re: sunspot active region 2673

Has there been any mention of whether solar activity will threaten tomorrow's scheduled launch?  AR2673 is facing Earth ("geoeffective").

AR2673 produced several M class solar flares on September 4 UTC, with the associated coronal mass ejection (CME) striking Earth today and tomorrow.

Earlier today, the same AR produced a X2 class solar flare, followed by a X9 class solar flare at 1202 UTC.  It's unknown as of my post whether or not this flare produced a CME.

http://spaceweather.com/

EDIT to add mention of today's X2 class flare, kevin-rf's post, and the gif attached to his post.

I think SpaceX just lost control of the X making machine, The sun just beltched out a long duration X2 and X9 flare...

As always, this is a weather factor that is monitored each launch.  There are limits for solar weather, and if those are breached, Falcon 9 won't launch.  Exactly what those limits are, I'm not 100% sure.  I know that's not a terrifically detailed answer, but that all I have.  Hopefully someone else can expand on this.

So the bottom line answer to your question is: Yes, this will be a factor for tomorrow's "go/go no" conditions.  But it's important to remember that it's always part of the "go/no go" factors.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 04:10 pm by ChrisGebhardt »

Offline Treasurer

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #253 on: 09/06/2017 04:16 pm »
You're in the army now!
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 04:16 pm by Treasurer »

Offline titusou

• Tokyo
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #254 on: 09/06/2017 04:21 pm »
The video probable sourced from here:
https://www.dvidshub.net/unit/AFCM

Titus

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #255 on: 09/06/2017 04:27 pm »
You're in the army now!

What's up with the grid lines in the logo - or is it simply gaps between stickers? And if they are gaps, why did they do it that way? (the gaps are too consistent to be just random poor alignment)

Offline vaporcobra

Yeah, Boeing's always had a login for media (found mine again) and that's all it is. Fine to reproduce on a news media site (which we, you and MM belong to). Just credit Boeing, job done.

The login is just a throwback to years ago.

Thanks for the confirmation! For posterity, a Reddit user helped me find what is likely the original source on DVIDS, a distribution branch of Defense Media Activity. Includes a nice little bonus timelapse at the start :)
https://www.dvidshub.net/video/548184/otv-5-transport-b-roll

Edit: looks like titusou beat me to it  ;) Also a photo of the rollout.
« Last Edit: 09/06/2017 04:33 pm by vaporcobra »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #257 on: 09/06/2017 04:33 pm »
You're in the army now!

Air Force actually; members of the armed services are notoriously prickly about being misidentified as being from one of the other services! ;)
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #258 on: 09/06/2017 04:52 pm »

So the bottom line answer to your question is: Yes, this will be a factor for tomorrow's "go/go no" conditions.  But it's important to remember that it's always part of the "go/no go" factors.

The only difference is we currently have a sunspot group churning out some quite strong flares. This is not commonly the case. That said, if another strong flare occurs during the count down I would head over to the Party thread to see what the betting odds are on a scrub. I strongly doubt they launch during a large M or X class flare.

But that is a decision for SpaceX to make.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #259 on: 09/06/2017 04:56 pm »
Some info on today's large solar flare. I'm afraid it doesn't mean much to me ...

We are in an X9.3-flare folks! Largest of this #solar cycle! Massive #hamradio blackout. #GPS issues too on dayside of Earth (colors in map)

https://twitter.com/tamithaskov/status/905439724021485568

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography