Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - Build-up Thread  (Read 174088 times)

Offline Pheogh

• Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 39
Re: SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - June 24
« Reply #20 on: 05/21/2008 07:59 pm »
Sorry to be a realist but does anyone want to venture what effect a failure would have?

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #21 on: 05/21/2008 08:10 pm »
Crispy - 21/5/2008  8:28 PM

that'd be completely uncompressed

Windows Media Encoder, or Quicktime Pro on the mac will be able to squeeze things down to a sensible size

Xvid is free and easy to used could try that... http://www.xvid.org/

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #22 on: 05/21/2008 08:11 pm »
Pheogh - 21/5/2008  2:59 PM

Sorry to be a realist but does anyone want to venture what effect a failure would have?

IMO, the real test for SpaceX is happening right now in McGregor, Texas, where Merlin 1C engines are being progressively added to the first Falcon 9 booster.  If that development effort runs into big, money-sucking snags, SpaceX will have a problem on its hands that is more serious than another Falcon 1 failure.

On the other hand, 2008 could close with SpaceX having successfully flown Falcon 1 and having completed its initial Falcon 9 development/qualification efforts.  

- Ed Kyle

Offline aero313

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 05/21/2008 08:21 pm »
stockman - 21/5/2008  2:07 PM

jabe - 21/5/2008  2:04 PM

I wonder if Vegas has odds on it being "successful" or not :)

After the debate that raged after Falcon II, you better make sure you DEFINE the term "successful" prior to launch. :)

From Elon's own mouth:

"You have to get everything right," he said. "The passing grade is 100 percent."

Musk made clear that he will hold Falcon 1 to the unforgiving pass-or-fail grading criteria during its upcoming launch for the Pentagon's Operationally Responsive Space (ORS) program office, calling the planned late-June mission an "operational flight" as opposed to a test.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/080516-sn-falcon-3rdlaunch.html

Offline stockman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Southern Ontario - Canada
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #24 on: 05/21/2008 08:32 pm »
aero313 - 21/5/2008  4:21 PM

stockman - 21/5/2008  2:07 PM

jabe - 21/5/2008  2:04 PM

I wonder if Vegas has odds on it being "successful" or not :)

After the debate that raged after Falcon II, you better make sure you DEFINE the term "successful" prior to launch. :)

From Elon's own mouth:

"You have to get everything right," he said. "The passing grade is 100 percent."

Musk made clear that he will hold Falcon 1 to the unforgiving pass-or-fail grading criteria during its upcoming launch for the Pentagon's Operationally Responsive Space (ORS) program office, calling the planned late-June mission an "operational flight" as opposed to a test.

http://www.space.com/missionlaunches/080516-sn-falcon-3rdlaunch.html

That seems clear enough.
One Percent for Space!!!

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #25 on: 05/21/2008 10:20 pm »

GW_Simulations - 21/5/2008 11:30 AM JumpStart-1 is one of three missions for the USAF Office of Responsive Space, which will be decided around two weeks before launch. The candidates are; a Plug and Play sattelite bus developed by USAFRL, Trailblazer - a commercially developed MDA satellite bus, or NanoSat-4 and CUSat for STP and Cornell University.

My sources tell me that it will be the MDA Trailblazer satellite built by SpaceDev.  The AFRL PnPSat was the preferred ORS choice but it won't be ready in time.  If the launch slips, it may be chosen over Trailblazer.

ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline HIP2BSQRE

• Regular
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #26 on: 05/22/2008 01:51 am »
SpaceX promised 2nd quarter '08 for a launch attempt...I wish them well.

Offline Paul Howard

• Veteran
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 25
RE: SpaceX Falcon I Launch III - June 24
« Reply #27 on: 05/22/2008 04:49 am »
antonioe - 21/5/2008  11:20 AM

Chris Bergin - 21/5/2008 11:07 AM Nice scoop Antonio - and thus you get to head up what will be the launch thread for this flight (bound to be a six figure viewed monster if the other SpaceX events are to go by).

(*SIGH*) Yes... too bad nobody cares about Pegasus launches anymore... boooring... :(

We do, but needs webcasting. Even a powerful site like this can't generate the big interest numbers without the launch package that makes this place great. Background processing, preview, live event via webcast etc.

I know some payload customer won't allow for it, but rockets are rockets and we're interested. If it was the other way around, with next to no info from Space X, and a webcast and lots of info from Orbital, Elon would be on here again asking why no one cares about Falcon, on a Pegasus section :)

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #28 on: 05/22/2008 11:57 am »

eeergo - 21/5/2008 3:08 PM 64 GB??? Wow, that's some serious video...

Aw, c'mon!  Of course I meant "64MB"... wait until you're MY age, and see if YOU don't have a senior moment like that... :laugh:

By the way, the video is up and posted on the L2 "Ultimate Video Section" along with a "play-by-play" commentary by yours truly who was the LPO on that flight.  If you are not subscribed to L2, get your credit card out and subscribe - Chris needs our support to continue providing this very fine forum and right now he's depressed because Manchester United beat Chelsea at the European Champion's League final!

Offline Hotdog

• Cape Town, South Africa
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: 05/22/2008 12:25 pm »
In terms of the debate over the success criteria for the Falcon 1 (2) flight, Musk was quoted in the space.com article:

"Given that after our last launch we signed up several new customers, I think it's safe to say that we can count that last launch as a success in the eyes of our customers which is really where it counts," he said.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #30 on: 05/22/2008 01:00 pm »
antonioe - 22/5/2008  12:57 PM

Aw, c'mon!  Of course I meant "64MB"... wait until you're MY age, and see if YOU don't have a senior moment like that... :laugh:

By the way, the video is up and posted on the L2 "Ultimate Video Section" along with a "play-by-play" commentary by yours truly who was the LPO on that flight.  If you are not subscribed to L2, get your credit card out and subscribe - Chris needs our support to continue providing this very fine forum and right now he's depressed because Manchester United beat Chelsea at the European Champion's League final!

Awesome video, it has to be said. Appreciate the L2 plug :)

William B, check your PMs.

England and York City FC are the only teams I'll ever care about, so was not upset about Chelsea losing :) If anything Man U deserved it for historic reasons (50 year's since the team were killed in the Munich plane crash), and it's funny to see Chelsea - who've spent a billion on players - continue to mess it up. All English final though...where were the Spanish teams? ;) I digress!  :o
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #31 on: 05/22/2008 01:20 pm »
Chris Bergin - 22/5/2008  7:00 AM

antonioe - 22/5/2008  12:57 PM

Aw, c'mon!  Of course I meant "64MB"... wait until you're MY age, and see if YOU don't have a senior moment like that... :laugh:

By the way, the video is up and posted on the L2 "Ultimate Video Section" along with a "play-by-play" commentary by yours truly who was the LPO on that flight.  If you are not subscribed to L2, get your credit card out and subscribe - Chris needs our support to continue providing this very fine forum and right now he's depressed because Manchester United beat Chelsea at the European Champion's League final!

Awesome video, it has to be said.

Oh yeah - big time.

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #32 on: 05/23/2008 01:07 am »
antonioe - 21/5/2008  10:05 AM

Ahh... yes.. "Panem et circenses"...
You'll have to forgive us...most of us don't have anything professional invested in it, so space launch basically is a matter of entertainment, albeit our nerdy, technically-inclined entertainment.

I'm looking forward to Taurus II first flights.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #33 on: 05/29/2008 06:47 pm »
It's less than a month to June 24 - any news on preparations for the launch?

Offline tobi453

• Liked: 81
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #34 on: 05/29/2008 06:59 pm »
here are interesting notes on musk's speech at the ISDC:
http://www.hobbyspace.com/nucleus/index.php?itemid=6719

for example:
"- Scheduling problems? Statements in first 2 years of the company should be disregarded due to idiocy."

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #35 on: 05/30/2008 07:33 pm »
<p></p><p>My sources tell me that it will be the MDA Trailblazer satellite built by SpaceDev.  The AFRL PnPSat was the preferred ORS choice but it won't be ready in time.  If the launch slips, it may be chosen over Trailblazer.</p>

On the money ...

http://www.spacedev.com/press_more_info.php?id=242

Offline iamlucky13

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 93
« Reply #36 on: 05/31/2008 12:22 am »
On the money ...

http://www.spacedev.com/press_more_info.php?id=242

Isn't this not supposed to be known until one week before launch to prove the launch provider's ability to rapidly integrate and launch a pre-adapted payload? If we know it, then certainly the operations engineers at SpaceX who have to manage the work are going to pick up on it.

Or do I have the timeline wrong?

Offline Jirka Dlouhy

• Veteran
  • Kladno, Czech Republic
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #37 on: 05/31/2008 07:34 am »
Do You have any technical data for TrailBlazer (start mass etc.) ?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: 05/31/2008 07:34 am by Jirka Dlouhy »

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #38 on: 05/31/2008 08:47 am »
Isn't this not supposed to be known until one week before launch to prove the launch provider's ability to rapidly integrate and launch a pre-adapted payload? If we know it, then certainly the operations engineers at SpaceX who have to manage the work are going to pick up on it.

I think it was two weeks at the latest, but could be (and was) earlier.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #39 on: 05/31/2008 02:27 pm »

In modern LV operations (Ariane, Pegasus) the satellite paces the integration, not the LV, and I assume that is the case here.  When both the spacecraft and the LV allow streamlined operations, things can go really quick; we've done one of our 2-ton GeoCom satellites at Kourou in 17 days (the trick in Kourou is to find a two-week period with NO French holidays!!!)

Months-long integration campaigns are a legacy of past LV operational concepts and are the norm for, say, Delta II.  In these cases, the LV DOES pace launch site integration.
« Last Edit: 05/31/2008 02:28 pm by antonioe »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography