Author Topic: HELP! History of Science Exploration..  (Read 1298 times)

Offline MeetYouAtThehBar

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
HELP! History of Science Exploration..
« on: 05/11/2010 01:19 pm »
HELLO!

Im new here, so please be gentle!
I'm an astrophysicist and work in Research. I have been set the challenge to find interesting things about the history of space exploration (Nasa, Esa or the Russians..it doesnt matter)
- like odd astronaut training programs from the sixties or sending up strange animals on rockets in the 50's..

Trying to track all the information down on the Nasa websites or other 'history of...' type websites can take forever! So i thought i'd ask the experts!

If you guys have any interesting stories or facts about the last 7decades (since they started sending chimps etc. up to the stars), then please share and post and tell me all your stories!

Things im mostly interested in are:
-experiments involving animals (and interesting animal anecdotes too!)
-past training regimes for astro-/cosmo-nauts (did they have to do some really bonkers things??)
-did the first batchs of astronauts have any side-effects from being in space?

THANK YOU! I'm looking forward to hearing all your odd facts and stories,
and, of course, i'll meet you at the h bar (sorry, terrible physics joke!)

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: HELP! History of Science Exploration..
« Reply #1 on: 05/11/2010 01:34 pm »
So, this is a school project and you're looking for help, huh?

If you work in a research field (note: "Research" is not capitalized since it is a general noun), then you probably enjoy doing research.  So here's some things to research.

Get a copy of "Animals in Space: From Research Rockets to the Space Shuttle," by Colin Burgess and Chris Dubbs.  You can either purchase it directly, or obtain it through Inter-Library Loan.

Some other relevant articles:

Dwayne A. Day, "From Cameras to Monkeys to Men: The Samos E-5 Recoverable Satellite, Part Three," Spaceflight, September 2003.

Dwayne A. Day and Colin Burgess, "Monkey in a Blue Suit: The USAF’s Secret Space Monkey Program," Spaceflight, July 2006.

There are also a lot of books and articles about space medicine.  I suggest a visit to your local library where a friendly librarian will help you look them up.

(I'm always ready to help somebody with their homework, but never willing to _do_ their homework for them.)

Offline MeetYouAtThehBar

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 05/11/2010 01:43 pm »
Thank you for your help, I've already ordered 'Animals in Space' by Burgess & Dubbs actually.. but i didnt know the others so I'll look into those too.

I think perhaps I didnt quite make my post clear enough - I'm not in school doing homework!

I'm actually a 24 year old with a Masters in Astrophysics working in Research (thats the name of my dept - hence the capital 'R') for a production company looking to make a documentary series about the history of space exploration..

I'm not asking anyone to do the work for me! I just thought that of all the sources of information on the internet, that the Nasa Spaceflight Forum would have the most interesting and beneficial input. - So far, it has proved very helpful, as I didnt know about the Dwayne A. Day books, so I'll check those out.
Thank you.

Offline gwiz

• Cornwall
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #3 on: 05/12/2010 09:24 am »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography