Author Topic: SpaceX CCSFS/KSC (Florida Space Coast) - Launch Viewing  (Read 92340 times)

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
Re: SpaceX CCSFS/KSC (Florida Space Coast) - Launch Viewing
« Reply #20 on: 03/04/2018 08:15 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Ill be able to mill over them while I wait for my travel form to go through the bureaucratic grinder.

Offline daveglo

• "a big enough engine, even a water tower can fly"
  • St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 621
« Reply #21 on: 03/06/2018 05:33 am »
So, I just watched Hispasat launch.  We parked along the north side of the 401, across the road from the parking garage.  The roadside is just wide enough to pull off straight, and it's elevated with no trees obstructing vision.  Highly recommended.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2343
  • Likes Given: 2057
« Reply #22 on: 03/06/2018 06:16 pm »
Hispasat 30W-6 launch montage partially filmed from a parking lot located near the Aviation Maintenance Science building at Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach.

What's neat was that I was able to see the first stage reentry burn from my vantage point about 6 and a half minutes into the flight. The bad news was I didn't get any video or photos of it because I was not expecting to see that reentry burn.

« Last Edit: 03/06/2018 06:19 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8575
  • Likes Given: 7674
« Reply #23 on: 03/07/2018 04:38 am »
Hispasat 30W-6 launch montage partially filmed from a parking lot located near the Aviation Maintenance Science building at Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach.

What's neat was that I was able to see the first stage reentry burn from my vantage point about 6 and a half minutes into the flight. The bad news was I didn't get any video or photos of it because I was not expecting to see that reentry burn.

Good work.  I subscribed to your channel.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #24 on: 04/04/2018 10:06 pm »
I went to KSCVC on Monday for the launch.  Traffic was the worst I have ever seen, Easter Break up north, so a lot of tourist.  The last 1.7 miles to park took two hours.  And then I got sick and left for my brothers house 15 miles away.  But it got cloudy there so we watched it on TV.

I am glad I left early.  Traffic leaving was worse, with accidents.  And 4 visitors to the launch were killed in an accident. Very sad to learn of that news.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2018 10:07 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline jamesl

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #25 on: 11/22/2018 02:34 am »
Noob question, is it possible to watch a launch outside the gate near the Sands Space History Center?

Offline daveglo

• "a big enough engine, even a water tower can fly"
  • St. Louis, MO, USA
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 621
« Reply #26 on: 11/22/2018 03:14 am »
Noob question, is it possible to watch a launch outside the gate near the Sands Space History Center?

Always a good question, answered many times farther down in the thread.  But from personal experience, pretty much anywhere along the north side of 401 is dandy.  You might be able to drive all the way into the area you mention, but the trees are gonna block the early phase of the launch.

I found an area down by the cruise terminal that you could see all the way to LC40.  401 is a little elevated down there, which helps a bunch.  Folks parked perpendicular to the road on the shoulder, ignoring the "No Parking" signage. See my post on the Hispasat launch downthread.  Roughly 8 miles to the pad.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8555
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #27 on: 02/15/2019 07:31 pm »
Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Offers
Special Viewing Opportunities for the
Commercial Crew SpaceX Demonstration Mission 1 (Demo-1) Launch

Packages include launch parties, commemorative gifts, live commentary and more.

CAPE CANAVERAL (February 15, 2019) – KENNEDY SPACE CENTER – Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is kicking off a new era of space exploration, offering exclusive viewing packages for the upcoming Commercial Crew SpaceX Demonstration Mission 1 (Demo-1) launch. This mission is significant as it will be the first, uncrewed test flight of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, which will carry men and women into space from American soil for the first time since 2011. At Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, guests will have the opportunity to experience the awe and excitement of these historic launches just a few miles from the launch pad – the closest public viewing.

“This is the first of many enhanced viewing opportunities to come,” said Therrin Protze, chief operating officer, Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. “With crewed launches on the horizon, the interest in space continues to grow and we are poised to offer many more bucket-list experiences to our guests.”

The Demo-1 launch is the first uncrewed test flight of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, which is set to lift off from Kennedy Space Center’s famed launchpad 39A, the same launchpad from which Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong set course for the moon on Apollo 11 in 1969 nearly 50 years ago. The packages are designed to enhance the overall launch viewing experience.

The SpaceX Demo-1 launch experience packages are:

Package: “Feel the Heat”

Cost:  $195 per person

Package includes*:

Two-day admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, plus transportation to Apollo/Saturn V Center viewing location – the closest launch viewing location available to the public. Second day admission must be used within a 90-day period post-launch.Up-close encounters with the Mars Rover Vehicle Navigator®, a futuristic concept vehicle, and a lunar rover just like the ones used by Apollo astronautsPremium catered meal(2) Drink ticketsLanyard and commemorative Demo-1 badgeCommemorative Demo-1 lithographSpaceX luggage tagReusable water bottleDigital photo on the day of the launch with special backgroundJumbotron access and live, expert commentary of launchFull access to the shows and exhibits at the Apollo/Saturn V Center

Package: “Feel the Fun”

Cost:  $115 per person

Package includes*:

Two-day admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex. Second day admission must be used within a 90-day period post-launch.Launch viewing from the Space Shuttle Atlantis North Lawn viewing locationCatered mealSpaceX luggage tagCommemorative Demo-1 lithographJumbotron access and live, expert commentary of launchDigital photo on the day of the launch with special backgroundLaunch party featuring a live DJJunior astronaut activity

Ticket packages are sold for the specific mission (SpaceX Demo-1) and not for a specific date. Packages can be booked via the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex website here. The limited-availability packages will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis.

This is the first of many launches to come. Packages for future launches will be customized to enhance the unique components of each mission.

* Guests are encouraged to check the website for updates as packages may be expanded.

Jacques :-)

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282
« Reply #28 on: 02/21/2019 04:07 pm »
Tonight's launch should be great, with liftoff happening simultaneous with a 95% full moonrise at Cape Canaveral.  I've not seen a night landing from the coast, is any part of the ASDS landing burn visible above the horizon?
« Last Edit: 02/21/2019 04:08 pm by leetdan »

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #29 on: 02/21/2019 06:29 pm »
Entry burn is visible with clear skies, landing no.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
« Reply #30 on: 02/22/2019 04:40 am »
My Nusantara Satu launch montage, comprised of video taken from Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach, audio from various SpaceX webcasts, and Orbiter 2016 simulations of the Stage 1 landing and Stage 2's second burn before payload deployment.

Got my notification email yesterday for my DM-1 launch tickets. Headed to Apollo/ Saturn V center to watch.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
« Reply #32 on: 03/02/2019 05:15 pm »
My SpaceX DM-1 launch montage, comprised of video taken from Embry-Riddle University in Daytona Beach, audio from various SpaceX webcasts, and Orbiter 2016 simulations of the Stage 1 landing and Stage 2 deploying the Crew Dragon spacecraft.

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #33 on: 03/22/2019 06:06 pm »
Any input on whether Playalinda will be open for the Falcon Heavy? I assume it will since it was the last time. Any tips on how early to be there with the limited parking?

Offline c

• There is a place.
  • One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.
  • Florida
  • Liked: 46
  • Likes Given: 86
« Reply #34 on: 03/23/2019 04:58 pm »
Any input on whether Playalinda will be open for the Falcon Heavy? I assume it will since it was the last time. Any tips on how early to be there with the limited parking?

RE: SpaceX Falcon Heavy : Arabsat 6A : LC-39A : NET April 7, 2019 --- Launch Viewing

CANA (Cape Canaveral Nat'l Seashore) info is HERE. Currently they are only showing their generic launch warning.

Last year's FH launch was confusing. The rangers told us Playalinda was open, then closed, then finally open. The car line into the park (Playalinda entrance) started before 5:00 am EST last year, but we did have an earlier launch then.

As of 2019-03-23, this year's launch is 2019-04-07 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm EST (local). Park closes at 8:00 pm and they generally don't let you in after 7pm. So... could be a problem.

« Last Edit: 03/26/2019 03:00 pm by c »

This will be my second launch viewing attempt.  First one, CRS-16, was delayed due to moldy mouse food.  >:(

In my search for the cheapest flight options and airline policy for changing the flight, this is what I have found for the 3 airlines that had flights from CVG to MCO which fit my schedule.  Higher price tickets and awards tickets likely have different policies.

Delta charges $200/ticket + difference to change flights. (for Main, Comfort or 1st class. No changes on Basic).  This could cost more than just booking new flights.

Frontier will allow changes if you purchase the Works for $80/person/flight.  This could cost more than just booking new flights.

Allegiant offers Trip Flex.  For $50, you can change your entire reservation ONCE up to 1 hour prior to flight.

Hoping this is helpful to some.

Offline mdeep

• NSF Photographer
  • Tampa Bay
  • Liked: 1138
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #36 on: 03/24/2019 03:27 pm »
Southwest into MCO...

Offline Wolfram66

you can also fly into Melbourne FL MLB which is just south of Cocoa Beach

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
« Reply #38 on: 03/25/2019 11:00 pm »
This will be my second launch viewing attempt.  First one, CRS-16, was delayed due to moldy mouse food.  >:(

In my search for the cheapest flight options and airline policy for changing the flight, this is what I have found for the 3 airlines that had flights from CVG to MCO which fit my schedule.  Higher price tickets and awards tickets likely have different policies.

Delta charges $200/ticket + difference to change flights. (for Main, Comfort or 1st class. No changes on Basic).  This could cost more than just booking new flights.

Frontier will allow changes if you purchase the Works for $80/person/flight.  This could cost more than just booking new flights.

Allegiant offers Trip Flex.  For $50, you can change your entire reservation ONCE up to 1 hour prior to flight.

Hoping this is helpful to some.

Southwest will let you change any time with very few limitations. They have become my go to for finicky business trips because of it.
« Last Edit: 03/26/2019 12:22 pm by Lar »

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #39 on: 04/07/2019 01:48 pm »
I won't be at the Fishlips meetup, but I will be watching the launch from Playalinda Beach the next day (assuming no schedule slips).

If any NSF members are headed there, you'll find me in my NSF baseball jersey. Come say hi!!

Keep in mind, Playalinda Beach is as close as the public can get without special tickets, but it is extremely remote. Just a few porta potties, and no cell phone signal!!!

Playalinda is spectacular and one of the prettiest places in Florida. Plus you feel like you are standing next to the rockets.

If you go there. It is worth it, but do give yourself hours to get there for a big launch like this. I plan on arriving there around 2:00pm.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2019 11:21 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography