Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Iridium NEXT Flight 5 : March 30, 2018 @ Vandenberg : Discussion  (Read 89625 times)

Offline posigrade

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 387
Any word on time of day for this launch? Trying to figure out if this would be a morning launch, like Paz, so I can tie it into a business trip to SFO.  ;)

Past Schedules:

Flight 1 9:54am
Flight 2 1:25pm
Flight 3 5:37am
Flight 4 5:27pm

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2343
  • Likes Given: 2057
Iridium-NEXT F5 will lift off at 15:19 UTC (8:19 AM Pacific Time).

At that time, it'll be an hour and nine minutes after sunrise.
« Last Edit: 02/13/2018 01:49 pm by ZachS09 »
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
Iridium 4th Quarter Conference Call confirmed March 29 is the date they're looking at, still needs to be finalized.  Also had comments on rest of deployments:
"Following next month’s launch, our cadence with SpaceX should move more rapidly as launch frequency is planned to increase to approximately one launch every five to six weeks or so. In fact, our sixth launch is currently scheduled for a quick turnaround at the end of April, that will be a rideshare with the JPL German Grace satellites in which we’ll utilize half of the payload to launch five Iridium NEXT satellites alongside the two Grace satellites which will be mounted on the dispenser above ours."

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweets:
Tagnan:
@IridiumBoss approximately what time will Iridium 5 launch at? Close to sunset/sunrise or no?

Matt Desch:
7:20am pst.  That’s about 25 minutes after sunrise.  Hard to terrorize Southern California that way, but we’ll do our best...

Dark Energy:
It is PST or PDT? I think you change the clocks on the 11th there in America, right?

Matt Desch:
How ‘bout we do it this way?:  14:19:49 UTC

That is 7:20am PDT

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
More Tweets:
Gunter Krebs:
@IridiumBoss Can you tell me already the satellite numbers of the upcoming fifth mission?

Matt Desch:
Sure.  Planned at this time: SV140, SV142, SV143, SV144, SV145, SV146, SV148, SV149, SV150, SV157.

---

Alessandro Lovesio:
Is Plane 4 basically done or some work/swaps/deorbits is still needed there?

Matt Desch:
10 of 11 slots are filled with NEXT satellites so almost complete.  SV128 is drifting to plane 4 from plane 3 to replace the remaining Block 1 sat (SV35).

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
In the recent Iridium 4th Quarter Earnings Teleconference Transcript Matt Desch said the launch vehicle was already at Vandenberg (it may have just arrived at the time based on other reports):
" Right now, it looks like our NEXT launch will be the morning of Thursday, March 29, essentially 5 weeks from now, though we're still confirming that date. The 10 satellites for that launch are shipping to Vandenberg now and the first and second Falcon 9 stages are already onsite and being processed at the base. This launch again will use a flight-proven first stage.  It will be the 10th flight of a refurbished rocked by SpaceX. We have history with this particular first stage. It successfully launched our third batch of satellites in October.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Tenth reused booster is pretty amazing if you think about it.  This flight will mark exactly one year of using flight-proven boosters (first flight was 3/30/2017) -- they will have launched 21 times, using 23 boosters... and almost half of them were reused

The economic viability argument... dead and buried.
« Last Edit: 02/26/2018 03:08 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561

Not really, so far they proved "only" that it is not more costly than using new boosters. :P
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline toruonu

Not really, so far they proved "only" that it is not more costly than using new boosters. :P

Well I've understood there have been reuse discounts which would point to being cheaper, but I guess as long as we don't have hard numbers it's hard to say ;)

Offline Historic Rad 39A

I'll likely be in Arizona when this launches, what are the chances I'll be able to see the launch from there or not? If not how close should I be in able to see it launch? Thanks in advance!

Offline Bubbinski

As it’s after sunrise I doubt you’d see it, at least from a place like Phoenix or Tucson. If it were a night launch maybe but you’d have to know precisely where to look and it would be nothing like what the people saw in LA recently.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25222
  • Likes Given: 12114

Never underestimate the ability of naysayers to move goalposts.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
I suspect we all have our own internal lists of who are the naysayers, who are the concern trolls, who are the cheerleaders for various factions, and who are the balanced analysts, etc... Please keep those lists internal, though, thanks.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweet from Matt Desch:
Iridium network update: our first 2 drifters from Launch 1 (105 & 108) were activated today, bringing the total to 34 Iridium NEXT sats now in operation (over 50% of 66 in constellation!). 3 more drifters also planned to be in service before next launch on March 29. Onward!

Offline Mader Levap

• Liked: 447
  • Likes Given: 561

Few years ago I heard so much about how much prices will drop once SpaceX starts regularly recover and reuse stages. Are you denying that they so far didn't dropped prices significantly (or in fact at all at moment of typing these words - still 62 mln $)?

Nowadays SpaceX fans explain that they don't have to do it right now since they are already cheapest, they have to recoup investment, finance BFR/BFS and similar excuses. Textbook goalpost moving.
Be successful.  Then tell the haters to (BLEEP) off. - deruch
...and if you have failure, tell it anyway.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963

Few years ago I heard so much about how much prices will drop once SpaceX starts regularly recover and reuse stages. Are you denying that they so far didn't dropped prices significantly (or in fact at all at moment of typing these words - still 62 mln $)?

Nowadays SpaceX fans explain that they don't have to do it right now since they are already cheapest, they have to recoup investment, finance BFR/BFS and similar excuses. Textbook goalpost moving.

There's probably a better thread for you to conflate price and cost.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
There's probably a better thread for you to conflate price and cost.
I can think of several. Use them. Further posts will be deleted.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Retweeted by Iridium:

Les dix satellites de la cinquième grappe d’#IridiumNEXT sont arrivés à Vandenberg. Lancement prévu à la fin du mois sur un #Falcon9 de @SpaceX. @IridiumComm @Thales_Alenia_S

https://twitter.com/StefanBarensky/status/973177015791706113

Microsoft Translation:

The ten satellites of the fifth cluster @IridiumNEXT have arrived at Vandenberg. Scheduled launch at the end of the month on a @Falcon9 de #SpaceX. #IridiumComm @Thales_Alenia_S

that's not an Iridium NEXT satellite
« Last Edit: 03/12/2018 01:22 pm by gongora »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6799
  • Likes Given: 2963

The black cylinder looks like an Iridium dispenser though...

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

The black cylinder looks like an Iridium dispenser though...

It's a set of Iridium satellites already on the dispenser, and a very terrible picture.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography