Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Vandenberg - Launch Viewing  (Read 72175 times)

Offline Joffan

Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 - Vandenberg - Launch Viewing
« Reply #20 on: 10/16/2017 04:15 pm »
My first night launch. :)
Trying to work out what we are looking at there - modern cameras have amazing dynamic range...
« Last Edit: 10/16/2017 04:16 pm by Joffan »
Getting through max-Q for humanity becoming fully spacefaring

Offline SeriousCallersOnly

• San Diego
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: 10/16/2017 04:43 pm »
I took that long exposure shot while I was waiting around for the launch.   It's just to show the location.  Sorry for any confusion.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8572
  • Likes Given: 7672
« Reply #22 on: 12/21/2017 07:10 pm »
            LAUNCH ALERT

Brian Webb
                  [email protected]
                        www.spacearchive.info

2017 December 21 (Thursday) 09:58 PST

FRIDAY LAUNCH VISIBILITY

Friday evening's launch of a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg AFB
appears to be on schedule. The vehicle is slated to lift off from
south base at 17:27:23 PST and carry several Iridium NEXT commercial
communications satellites into orbit.

Following liftoff, the vehicle will climb vertically for several
before it begins a gradual turn and heads south.

The rocket's bright flame should be visible over a wide area. However,
since this launch occurs 30 minutes after Vandenberg AFB sunset, it
could be impressive beginning at T+ 2 minutes 12 seconds when
simulations show the exhaust plume will be illuminated at high
altitude by the sun.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline david1971

• Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 16536
« Reply #23 on: 02/12/2018 08:03 pm »
If the Paz launches on time, it will go up at 6:14AM local.  What is the weather/visibility situation typically like at Vandeberg in the mornings?  Is it likely I'll get a good view, or is it more likely that I'll hear it more than I see it?

I flew on SOFIA four times.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
« Reply #24 on: 02/12/2018 08:52 pm »
If the Paz launches on time, it will go up at 6:14AM local.  What is the weather/visibility situation typically like at Vandeberg in the mornings?  Is it likely I'll get a good view, or is it more likely that I'll hear it more than I see it?
During the summer, morning launches are usually a hear not see. This time of year you might be ok.

Offline Jdeshetler

• Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 3661
  • Likes Given: 3546
« Reply #25 on: 02/12/2018 10:54 pm »
Looks like like the PAZ launch time is at the edge of first ray of light, the dawn.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
« Reply #26 on: 02/17/2018 12:21 am »
During the summer, morning launches are usually a hear not see. This time of year you might be ok.
Fog is in the forecast. Ignore what I said.

Offline ajsherm

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: 03/25/2018 04:23 pm »
Newbie here! Want to drive up from LA to watch the 5 May 2018 launch. Fingers crossed its not scrubbed! At that time of morning, 04:05, Im sure the coastal fog will be heavy. From what Ive found, it seems the most recommended viewing site for SLC-3E would then be Harris Road. Is that accurate? Or do any of the seasoned vets here have any other recommendations? Thanks guys!

Offline Don S

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #28 on: 03/28/2018 02:37 am »
I thought it would be fun to go Fishing in the Chanel Islands to watch downrange from there for Thursday (3/29/18) Morning.  But now it has been postponed to Friday.   

Are there any thoughts if that would be a good viewing area?

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
« Reply #29 on: 03/28/2018 03:08 am »
Newbie here! Want to drive up from LA to watch the 5 May 2018 launch. Fingers crossed its not scrubbed! At that time of morning, 04:05, Im sure the coastal fog will be heavy. From what Ive found, it seems the most recommended viewing site for SLC-3E would then be Harris Road. Is that accurate? Or do any of the seasoned vets here have any other recommendations? Thanks guys!
I've never watched from Harris Road myself. It might have a partial view of the pad, but I am not entirely sure.

The easiest and closest view location is Ocean Avenue. However, a hill will obstruct the view of the launch site so you will miss the first few seconds of flight. After that, the view is excellent assuming there is no fog. Morning launches are always risky so check the weather ahead of time.

I thought it would be fun to go Fishing in the Chanel Islands to watch downrange from there for Thursday (3/29/18) Morning.  But now it has been postponed to Friday.   

Are there any thoughts if that would be a good viewing area?

It could be very interesting. Especially if they execute the reentry and landing burns. It would be a risk, but bring a camera in case it pays off so we can see what it's like.  ;D
« Last Edit: 03/28/2018 03:08 am by Michael Baylor »

Offline Roy_H

• Political Solutions
  • Liked: 450
  • Likes Given: 3163
« Reply #30 on: 05/19/2018 04:04 pm »
I've decided to view the Grace/Iridium launch from 699 Mercury, Vandenberg Village on Tuesday. This is the local community center Park and Pool. Hope to see some of you there.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk
Spacestation proposal: https://politicalsolutions.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Online AstroBrewer

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #31 on: 09/29/2018 02:41 am »
I'll be in LA next weekend and I'm going to head up to Lompoc for the SAOCOM 1a launch on Saturday 10/6.  Anyone else going up for that?  Reading this launch viewing thread I was thinking about maybe trying to get to Renwick Ave if possible.  Any advice on where to watch from is appreciated. 

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
« Reply #32 on: 09/29/2018 03:23 am »
I'll be in LA next weekend and I'm going to head up to Lompoc for the SAOCOM 1a launch on Saturday 10/6.  Anyone else going up for that?  Reading this launch viewing thread I was thinking about maybe trying to get to Renwick Ave if possible.  Any advice on where to watch from is appreciated.
Ocean Ave is your best bet which is connected to Renwick. Get there an hour or two early as there will be big crowds.

Online AstroBrewer

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #33 on: 09/29/2018 07:22 pm »
Ocean Ave is your best bet which is connected to Renwick. Get there an hour or two early as there will be big crowds.
Thanks.  I'll shoot for two hours early. 

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #34 on: 10/07/2018 10:13 pm »
Do we know that Ocean Ave will be open as usual up to the south gate?

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
« Reply #35 on: 10/08/2018 12:45 am »
I am here and they closed Ocean at Union Sugar avenue.
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
« Reply #36 on: 10/10/2018 10:19 pm »
I watched the launch from the Union Sugar roadblock on Ocean Avenue.  This is 4.5 miles from the Falcon 9 pad.  In the past, I've watched from the South Base Gate which is a bit further down Ocean Avenue, about 3.88 miles from the pad.

I guess they were taking extra precaution due to the booster landing.  I hope they don't do that indefinitely for all future launch/RTLS landings.

The crowds were huge, it took about an hour until the line of cars even started moving.  And even then it was pretty slow going, as I headed back to Highway 1.

The Ocean Avenue locations are by far the closest locations the public can get to the pads.  However, since it is essentially at sea level, low-level fog can completely wipe out your visibility.  For this launch, however, the weather cooperated and it was crystal clear.  The only thing we couldn't see were the first seconds of launch and last seconds of landing, as the hills do block a direct view of the pads.

From this distance, the sonic boom was surprisingly loud, at least compared to what I remember of the shuttle's sonic booms.

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #37 on: 10/10/2018 11:18 pm »
I was there! Just down the road from Union Sugar, near the intersection of Artesia and Ocean.

It. Was. AMAZING.

And there was a ton of people there. Thousands of people. Lots of little kids, too, which is very good. Way, Way more people I thought would be there. Cars packed on both sides of the roads for miles around. It was nuts. I was closer to the exit and it still took us half an hour to get out :D
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
« Reply #38 on: 06/12/2019 04:42 pm »
Did anyone go to see RADARSAT launch in person?  Looks like it was totally fogged in.

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #39 on: 06/13/2020 10:20 am »
I did, but I moved some 15 miles inland to avoid the advancing marine layer. Shot a daytime streak of launch and return.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography