Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Iridium NEXT 6 with GRACE-FO : NET May 22, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 109529 times)

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32358
  • Likes Given: 8025
Re: SpaceX F9 : Iridium NEXT 6 with GRACE-FO : Mar 21/22, 2018
« Reply #40 on: 12/14/2017 02:02 am »
News | December 13, 2017
Next-Generation GRACE Satellites Arrive at Launch Site

A pair of advanced U.S./German Earth research satellites with some very big shoes to fill is now at California's Vandenberg Air Force Base to begin final preparations for launch next spring.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7025
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13845
  • Likes Given: 5915
Re: SpaceX F9 : Iridium NEXT 6 with GRACE-FO : Mar 21/22, 2018
« Reply #41 on: 01/22/2018 03:17 pm »
Iridium Announces Date for Fifth Iridium® NEXT Launch

First Iridium launch of 2018 set to begin rapid launch cadence targeting completion by mid-year

MCLEAN, Va., Jan. 22, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Iridium Communications Inc. (NASDAQ:IRDM) announced today that the fifth Iridium NEXT launch has been targeted by SpaceX for March 18, 2018 at 8:19 am PDT (15:19 UTC) from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. The first of four launches planned for 2018, Iridium-5 will deliver 10 more Iridium NEXT satellites to orbit, bringing the total number of new satellites deployed to 50. This launch will use the same Falcon 9 first stage as the Iridium-3 launch that took place in October 2017 and begin a rapid-cadence launch schedule targeting completion of the Iridium manifest by mid-2018.

“We are entering the home stretch,” said Matt Desch, chief executive officer, at Iridium. “This is going to be a monumental year for us as we complete our constellation refresh. In addition to four launches, we will continue the testing and validation processes for our new specialty broadband service, Iridium CertusSM, and look forward to its commercial launch later this year. We consider 2017 to be a great success and anticipate this year to be even better.”

The Iridium network is comprised of six polar orbiting planes, each containing 11 operational crosslinked satellites, for a total of 66 satellites in the active constellation. The Iridium-5 launch will deliver the new satellites to orbital plane 1, where all 10 will go directly into service after testing and validation.  Following Iridium-5, the Iridium-6 Rideshare mission is targeted for mid-to-late April.  The Rideshare will carry five Iridium NEXT satellites and the twin satellites for the NASA/German Research Center for Geosciences (GFZ) Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment Follow-On mission. The final four launches will bring a total of 35 new satellites to space, completing the constellation of 66 operational satellites and 9 in-orbit spares.

Iridium NEXT is the company's $3 billion, next-generation, mobile, global satellite network scheduled for completion in 2018. The constellation features 66 active satellites, plus nine on-orbit spares. In total, 81 new satellites are being built, with the six remaining satellites serving as ground spares. Iridium NEXT will replace the company's existing global constellation in one of the largest technology upgrades ever completed in space.  It represents the evolution of critical communications infrastructure that governments and organizations worldwide rely on to drive business, enable connectivity, empower disaster relief efforts and more.

For more information about Iridium NEXT, please visit www.IridiumNEXT.com

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 6
Given that the upcoming PAZ launch and Iridium 5 launches will expend their first stages, it looks like Iridium 6 will likely be the first Vandenberg RTLS mission.  That is unless, of course, the secondary payloads make the rocket too heavy for RTLS.  However, the current manifest chart says that the Iridium 6 payload is "~6k" kg, lighter than the usual 9600 kg Iridium missions.

Add to this the fact that the first stage is brand-new, unlike the block 3 first stages they have been throwing away in expendable missions.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 01:05 am by DaveJes1979 »

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1684
  • Likes Given: 1589
Given that the upcoming PAZ launch and Iridium 5 launches will expend their first stages, it looks like Iridium 6 will likely be the first Vandenberg RTLS mission.  That is unless, of course, the secondary payloads make the rocket too heavy for RTLS.  However, the current manifest chart says "~6k", lighter than the usual 9600 lbs. Iridium missions.
What about the harbor seals? Isn't SpaceX prevented from making RTLS attempts between March and June (pupping season)?

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
I've never heard of that limitation, Sc00chy.  Do you have a source for that?

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1597
  • Likes Given: 50
I've never heard of that limitation, Sc00chy.  Do you have a source for that?

NOAA Incidental Harassment Authorization - November 30, 2017
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/permits/incidental/research/spacex_2017iha_issued.pdf

4. Mitigation Requirements

The holder of this Authorization must implement the following mitigation measures:
(a) Unless constrained by other factors including human safety or national security concerns, launches must be scheduled to avoid boost-backs and landings during the harbor seal pupping season of March through June when practicable.

OCR copy attached

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
Hmm, so no Vandenberg RTLS until July, I guess.

Offline vaporcobra

I wouldn't be so certain, although it seems probable. The "when practicable" language essentially gives SpaceX some level of wiggle room.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Re: SpaceX F9 : Iridium NEXT 6 with GRACE-FO : late April, 2018
« Reply #48 on: 02/22/2018 07:40 pm »
Tweet from Peter B. de Selding:
For @IridiumComm, if @SpaceX launches today OK as planned, the 5th IRDM 10-sat Falcon 9 launch should occur on March 29. Then 6th F9 launch end-April.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #49 on: 02/23/2018 02:29 am »
GRACE-FO on the top dispenser, Iridium on the bottom dispenser.

"Following next month’s launch, our cadence with SpaceX should move more rapidly as launch frequency is planned to increase to approximately one launch every five to six weeks or so. In fact, our sixth launch is currently scheduled for a quick turnaround at the end of April, that will be a rideshare with the JPL German Grace satellites in which we’ll utilize half of the payload to launch five Iridium NEXT satellites alongside the two Grace satellites which will be mounted on the dispenser above ours."

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1537
  • Likes Given: 1741
« Reply #50 on: 02/23/2018 01:37 pm »
Note: above quote is from Iridium's 4th Quarter conference call.
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #51 on: 02/23/2018 01:53 pm »
Some relevant Tweets:
Tagnan:
What about iridium 6? At the very least do you know if it will be reused or not?

Matt Desch:
Considering, but its a ride share so a little more complicated and hasn't been totally finalized...

Tagnan:
How much do ride shares get to decide in terms of vehicle used and other options?

Matt Desch:
It's a cooperative effort, and mostly decided up front in a contract, or in ongoing discussions as you jointly prepare and project manage towards the launch.  In this case, we're the lead with SpaceX, but we work to make sure decisions are right for our rideshare partner too.

Offline DaveJes1979

• Toontown, CA
« Reply #52 on: 03/13/2018 01:44 am »
Less than 2 months out. Still no info on 1st stage recovery?

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #53 on: 03/13/2018 08:32 am »
I expect/predict that core 1043 is being refurbed for this launch...
If it does require a new core it must be 1047. In that case 1043 would most likely be used for IridiumNext-7...

Offline vaporcobra

If it does require a new core it must be 1047. In that case 1043 would most likely be used for IridiumNext-7...

Interesting, even in spite of the NASA science payload? I've assumed that GRACE-FO are somewhat more valuable/irreplaceable than a Cargo Dragon, the only mission type we've yet to see NASA accept flight-proven boosters for. With TESS, LSP didn't even want it to fly on the first new Block 5 core, let alone a flight-proven booster.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 939
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #55 on: 03/13/2018 10:57 pm »

Interesting, even in spite of the NASA science payload? I've assumed that GRACE-FO are somewhat more valuable/irreplaceable than a Cargo Dragon, the only mission type we've yet to see NASA accept flight-proven boosters for. With TESS, LSP didn't even want it to fly on the first new Block 5 core, let alone a flight-proven booster.

Concerning the launch, GRACE-FO is not a NASA payload, but a DLR payload. The German partners of the project are responsible for launch (which allowed the earlier launch manifesting on a Dnepr rocket).

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637
« Reply #56 on: 03/13/2018 10:58 pm »

My prediction is purely based on availability. And a little bit of wishful thinking.
1046 is still @McGregor....
We will see, soon enough if the mission starts moving right.
At this point a flight-proven booster that has done just a LEO mission and proven to refly 10(11?) times, or a brand new Block-5 of which the first still has not had a full duration burn...?!?

Something with a paradigm-shift maybe..

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #57 on: 03/13/2018 10:59 pm »

The GRACE-FO mission was contracted by Germany's DLR and not NASA's Launch Services Program, so maybe that could be a potential factor.  But, I doubt it really changes anything and believe this will launch on a new, non-Block 5 F9.  According to Matt Desch [see tweets quoted by gongora a few posts up], Iridium is the lead on contract with SpaceX and they have discretion to do what they want but it would be pretty amazing if they made a choice that their partners weren't fully on board with.  I believe that comment was in response to fairing reuse, not booster reuse but I'm not fully sure.

edit: ninja'd by Gunter re:DLR involvement/direction.

edit2:  For clarity, my belief is that SpaceX built them a legacy core (not Block 5) even if they had planned to be switched to full Block 5 production.  I won't be too surprised if the same is in progress for the Air Force's GPS-3 launch.  Though, they may have enough flight data by then to make that a non-issue.
« Last Edit: 03/13/2018 11:03 pm by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #58 on: 03/13/2018 11:01 pm »

LSP is only a consultant on this flight, they're not procuring it.

Offline Lewis007

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 549
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #59 on: 03/14/2018 06:26 am »
Some pics of the GRACE-FO sats processed for launch in a VAFB clean room

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island