Author Topic: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)  (Read 531504 times)

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
Re: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)
« Reply #40 on: 02/01/2016 03:45 am »
if they put the cross feed on the back burner, is there any reason to do a fullon falcon heavy test on a non cross fed version?

from the design of the test stand i understand it would be compatible with heavy but i dont see any signs of hold downs for heavy.

Yes they need to find out if there are any odd interactions between the 3 stacks.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #41 on: 02/01/2016 03:46 am »
Perhaps the test mount is replaceable with an F9 and FH version. F9 version only has a single width port with 4 hold downs, the FH version a triple wide with more 8 hold down clamps.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 03:48 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #42 on: 02/01/2016 03:58 am »
Perhaps the test mount is replaceable with an F9 and FH version. F9 version only has a single width port with 4 hold downs, the FH version a triple wide with more 8 hold down clamps.

It is possible, I suppose, but it doesn't look very modular:

Offline Joey S-IVB

• Arrowhead, the Avro kind
  • Space Cadet
  • Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 1000
« Reply #43 on: 02/01/2016 06:13 am »
As the Facebook co-admin, it is still rumour, not fact. Someone posted a Reddit photo and claimed it was a Raptor test facility. Nothing substantiated. I didn't yank it because it is a current photo, but the analysis is less than professional and verifiable.

Offline LastStarFighter

• Europa
  • Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #44 on: 02/01/2016 06:54 am »
As the Facebook co-admin, it is still rumour, not fact. Someone posted a Reddit photo and claimed it was a Raptor test facility. Nothing substantiated. I didn't yank it because it is a current photo, but the analysis is less than professional and verifiable.

Yes I am curious where this confirmation can that the triple stand is a Raptor test stand. Perhaps the are Moving the single Merlin test stand to this triple test stand. So the dragon super Draco pod tests can take over the old Merlin test stand. Just a thought. Or maybe the triple stand is for the sure Dracos? I seem to remember the raptor being tested at Stennis....

Looks like they are also building another subterranean test stand roughly 1km east of the F9 booster stand.
Thoughts on what that is? Test stand for single sticks or returned stages?

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #45 on: 02/01/2016 07:28 am »
The new test stand is for cryogenic propellant as can be seen by the feed line, so not for SuperDraco. I doubt that the existing Merlin test stands would be converted for SuperDraco, they are too different. They would build new ones if needed.

So while not conclusive proof it is at least very plausible that the new test stand is for Raptor. The Stennis test stand is ideal for component tests. I don't see it likely they would test full engines there unless for political motivations.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 617
  • Likes Given: 211
« Reply #46 on: 02/01/2016 08:16 am »
Is it possible that the three cell Test stand is going to be used for Raptor component testing, and methane altitude control truster system testing. (The methane version of Draco and Super Draco).
I think the trenched stand on the left of capture (Google maps) is a second stage test stand, that can be used for single Raptor testing. I also think that the trenched first stage test stand is only goeing to be used with one stage or booster at a time. What I don't get is why SpaceX opted for installing the first stages with a crane instead of a small transporter/erector derived form a dumptruck?

And isn't the superdraco stand the stand at the west side above the grass hopper pad. See capture 2

I think the development tests for Raptor will take place at Stannis, once the raptor is qualified, the second stages will be tested at the smaller trenched test stand. but I could be wrong. 

Also a new border attempt.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 08:25 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #47 on: 02/01/2016 11:09 am »
I read through those comments on FB. Usual blend of interesting and fluff you get anywhere. However one user, who's profile says he works for SpaceX (and who's profile includes pic of him standing inside what is pretty obviously the base of S1 flame trench at McGregor), has stated flat out its a raptor test stand, and that he's worked on it.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 01:56 pm by Chris Bergin »
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #48 on: 02/01/2016 12:25 pm »
If this is a three-bay Raptor test stand, it puts to rest those suggestions that Raptor has been on the back burner for five years and that SpaceX was waiting for USAF funding to move on this engine.

The second in-ground stand/flame trench could be for a large variant of the engine...

My prediction:
There are three sizes of the "highly-scaleable" engine:
1) 550klbf as optimum T/W for MCT
2) F-1 class
3) Merlin class for F9/FH
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #49 on: 02/01/2016 01:20 pm »
If this is a three-bay Raptor test stand, it puts to rest those suggestions that Raptor has been on the back burner for five years and that SpaceX was waiting for USAF funding to move on this engine.

Given the massive test campaign in Stennis this was never plausible. I never believed they are way behind Blue Origin. Mostly a year if at all.

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
« Reply #50 on: 02/01/2016 01:55 pm »

Given the massive test campaign in Stennis this was never plausible. I never believed they are way behind Blue Origin. Mostly a year if at all.

There is the distinct possibility that they are a year or two ahead IMO.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #51 on: 02/01/2016 02:30 pm »
I don't know what the blue structures are, but to me they look more like the stage-separation test fixtures than propellant storage tanks.  If I were to guess, I'd say they were test fixtures for the tank portion of the stage which Raptor will be attached to.  Don't know why they need two, except maybe for testing throughput.

My guess is those are in fact propellant run tanks in the blue vertical frames. They're right next to the concrete test cell walls, with the engine test stands presumably on the other side. So you have two test cells, each with its own run tank(s).

My other guess is the tanks are suspended at a single point at the top from the pyramid trusses, possibly with a load cell so that the amount of propellant burned in each run can be precisely weighed for accurate Isp measurement.
Nice...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline JamesH

• United Kingdom
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #52 on: 02/01/2016 03:41 pm »

The second in-ground stand/flame trench could be for a large variant of the engine...

My prediction:
There are three sizes of the "highly-scaleable" engine:
1) 550klbf as optimum T/W for MCT
2) F-1 class
3) Merlin class for F9/FH

A backburner is still a burner, just cooks bit slower....SpaceX have enough people to work on Rapter as well as all the other stuff.  I presume they also have a skunk works department, which would be an interesting place!

Offline chapi

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #53 on: 02/03/2016 08:18 pm »
This one works: <snip>

Enjoy, Matthew

Awesome, thanks. This time I have it downloaded in case it get's removed again.

Edit: Reddit seems to removing this when it gets posted there. So it's likely this whole section of this post will be quelled in short order here as well.
Damned. Looks like the backup link got also killed.

Any clue where this "cool stuff video" (probably too cool for non SpaceX employees) can be seen now?

Thx

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #54 on: 02/04/2016 01:58 pm »
Video of what appears to be a second stage test posted by FB user Mike Wallace from last night. Duration at least 1'30".

Question - just was thinking - How can they test the vacuum version of the 1D? Doesn't the large nozzle create instabilities in atmosphere?
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Online MechE31

• MELBOURNE, FL
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #55 on: 02/04/2016 02:00 pm »
Video of what appears to be a second stage test posted by FB user Mike Wallace from last night. Duration at least 1'30".

Question - just was thinking - How can they test the vacuum version of the 1D? Doesn't the large nozzle create instabilities in atmosphere?

Test it with a different nozzle?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #56 on: 02/04/2016 02:09 pm »
They just don't attach the nozzle extension.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #57 on: 02/04/2016 02:20 pm »

You can see the relatively short nozzle configuration for test in this video if you pause it at the green ignition flash just before the video saturates.

Edit: eriblo has pointed out downthread that the lack of an extension is clearly visible at shutdown.

« Last Edit: 02/04/2016 10:18 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #58 on: 02/04/2016 02:30 pm »
This one works: <snip>

Enjoy, Matthew

Awesome, thanks. This time I have it downloaded in case it get's removed again.

Edit: Reddit seems to removing this when it gets posted there. So it's likely this whole section of this post will be quelled in short order here as well.
Damned. Looks like the backup link got also killed.

Any clue where this "cool stuff video" (probably too cool for non SpaceX employees) can be seen now?

Thx

If it's SpaceX intellectual property that was inadvertantly leaked, then we really really ought not to be asking where we can find other copies...  That's a general rule here, we're not leak central.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #59 on: 02/04/2016 07:02 pm »

They test without the nozzle extension:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography