Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424375 times)

Online CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Whoever it was that was guessing toward the $50k end of the spectrum that money looks to have been spent.  I'm not going back to Elon to ask for the rest of the money we need to get this hole filled. You go ask him.

Well.. there are certainly cheaper ways to do a repair like this.  I know a dockyard in Malaysia...  ;D

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
The bow bubble is gone. I'm lost.

It's the "original" hole in the stern, port side. They cut away all around it to make a big rectangular hole so the edges are straight.

Hahaha, I know I've been on the confused side lately, but not that confused. I meant it like "who moved my cheese?" Could be a problem for me if they don't put it back though, when the deck isn't visible, or worse, if someone gets tricky and moves it to the stern.

Sorry. I expect the cheese will return, maybe on anti-vibration mounts. (I assume the bubble you mean is that VSAT antenna dome that gets vibrated by the exhaust noise during landing attempts and loses satellite lock, disrupting the live feed. Now would be a good time to do some acoustic tests on it in an acoustic chamber and dial in some anti-vibe mounts...)

https://www.vibrationmounts.com/uses/aerospace.htm
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 08:20 am by Kabloona »

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
New images and drone video from EverydayAstronauts images

http://i.imgur.com/E8T9pEj.jpg (same as attachment)

posted on reddit.

Looks like the hull was breached after all, just below the wing. Makes sense to keep that side of the OCISLY out of the water in that case. Any speculation if the engine section went right through or if it got stuck inside? I cant see it.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 11:07 am by Semmel »

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
Here's an overhead shot provided by Reddit user Termderd. You can see how they had to remove decking to get back to the main stringers to be able to tie in the cross trusses. I see eleven generators (welders) and one massive beam over towards the bow.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
New images and drone video from EverydayAstronauts images

http://i.imgur.com/E8T9pEj.jpg (same as attachment)

posted on reddit.

Looks like the hull was breached after all, just below the wing. Makes sense to keep that side of the OCISLY out of the water in that case. Any speculation if the engine section went right through or if it got stuck inside? I cant see it.
I watched the vid a couple times and I'm not quite clear how you drew that conclusion... there is never an overhead view that lets us see into the hole, plus there is blue(teal??) material covering a lot of it.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
I watched the vid a couple times and I'm not quite clear how you drew that conclusion... there is never an overhead view that lets us see into the hole, plus there is blue(teal??) material covering a lot of it.

look at the picture.. its not visible in the video I beleave.

edit: Part of the yellow/orange background is missing where the wing attaches to the body of the barge. It looks like a section is cut out.
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 11:13 am by Semmel »

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
That's a really interesting view into the inside of the machine.  I don't think I've ever seen the inside of an ASDS before.

Has there always been the blue tarping on the fence around the SpaceX area?  I see more portable fencing with blue tarp near the plastic outhouses, and interestingly, a section of it blocking the view that someone might have under the wing area.

Cindy's antenna bubble is immediately on shore next to the bow.  Its strapped to a pallet for shipment, either coming or going or maybe just that way to lift it off the ASDS.

Interesting singe marks on the white container behind the blast wall but I think we knew this had taken some damage.  Curious that they're not painting it.

edit: Part of the yellow/orange background is missing where the wing attaches to the body of the barge. It looks like a section is cut out.

When you said the hull breached I think a few folks might have taken you to be saying the bottom was holed but you are pointing to the side of the hull being apparently blown out or at least cut out.  Good observation but there may be fruit for additional observation here.

Can we get the drone down inside the hole?
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
Added a picture to to show what Semmel is referring to.

There must have been some serious structural damage from the impact. Buckling of stringers and load bearing beams. Definitely passing the 50 k $ mark. But I still think far from the 250 k mark.  :P

Maybe getting close with Inspections, Marine architects/engineers and their associated costs, etc...

I think that if anything below the waterline had been damage, it would have been away to the boatyard for the ASDS.  8)

Enlarge to see the encircled area more clearly:
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 12:59 pm by symbios »
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 121
  • Likes Given: 153
......  I see more portable fencing with blue tarp near the plastic outhouses, and interestingly, a section of it blocking the view that someone might have under the wing area.

My guess is the blue tarp at the plastic outhouses (which blocks the view of the repair area) is there to protect the eyes of people approaching the outhouses, from direct exposure to the arc welding.

« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 01:06 pm by Retired Downrange »

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
Part of the yellow/orange background is missing where the wing attaches to the body of the barge. It looks like a section is cut out.

Looking at that blown up enlarged, I believe what you're seeing is an inset "bollard box" (to use the convenient, if not exactly canonical, term).

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
CyndyC, there's your (new?) white bubble (VSAT antenna dome) dockside on a pallet, by the bow.

The photographer (Tim Dodd according to the photo watermark, who is presumably the reddit user termderd) commented over there that he was stopped by a policeman and told that drone flying was illegal around the port. So the days of us getting new drone footage of OCISLY may be numbered...
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 01:23 pm by Kabloona »

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10
Still not seeing a hull breach. Still surprised how much damage was allegedly done (difficult to tell from these pictures anyway), would not have expected that at all, 1/2" steel plate reinforced by some pretty big stringers is a very strong surface, even for something travelling at 200mph. I doubt that once past the deck and the stringers there was enough energy left in the octoweb/engines to puncture the hull as well.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943

Still not seeing a hull breach. Still surprised how much damage was allegedly done (difficult to tell from these pictures anyway), would not have expected that at all, 1/2" steel plate reinforced by some pretty big stringers is a very strong surface, even for something travelling at 200mph. I doubt that once past the deck and the stringers there was enough energy left in the octoweb/engines to puncture the hull as well.
The hull side is being repaired (post breach)

Keep in mind the the wings extend past hull sides. Therefore if you look into the hole you can see the actual hull side that's under repair.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
I must agree with ClayJar after he pointed this out.  If you look at Semmels original large image you can see where the wings are attach and the "cut-in" sections evenly spaced along the line/seam of the wing for the "bollard-boxes". The "hole" in the side of the hull visible at the damaged area could mach a "bollard-box".

Part of the yellow/orange background is missing where the wing attaches to the body of the barge. It looks like a section is cut out.

Looking at that blown up enlarged, I believe what you're seeing is an inset "bollard box" (to use the convenient, if not exactly canonical, term).
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
There's sidewall damage above the waterline, since the deck extends over the sidewall, but it's limited to the part right near the deck - essentially a beam at that point.

Because it is limited, I don't think it extended much lower towards the waterline - unless the sidewall itself transmitted impact further below.

Might have been cleaner if it hit more towards center deck.

I agree with other posters - that's quite an impact...
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Indeed. Someone do the math - what's the kinetic energy of a returning, nearly empty S1 at 90 mph? ;)

Now, snark aside, people routinely misunderstand impact forces and the amount of damage done by even relatively low speed impacts between massive objects. And frankly, 90 mph isn't slow, and the octoweb and engine powerbeads are both strong and relatively dense.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
Couple of spots seem to have been marked with spray paint for repair?

Matthew

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
I tend not to believe the "bollard cutout" explanation for the gap in the right side of the ribbed yellow sidewall. The bollard cutouts are vertical, but that missing area we see meets the yellow sidewall at an angle, as if torched out.

Also, if that sidewall were not damaged, why would they extend the deck plate cutout beyond that area into the wing?
« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 02:14 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821

Indeed. Someone do the math - what's the kinetic energy of a returning, nearly empty S1 at 90 mph? ;)

Now, snark aside, people routinely misunderstand impact forces and the amount of damage done by even relatively low speed impacts between massive objects. And frankly, 90 mph isn't slow, and the octoweb and engine powerbeads are both strong and relatively dense.

High School physics tells me about 40MJ- assuming the oft quoted stage mass of 20t.

A friend of mine taught me to remember the formula by saying "eek, half my Volkswagen has vanished"...
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline CyndyC

Cyndy's antenna bubble is immediately on shore next to the bow.  Its strapped to a pallet for shipment, either coming or going or maybe just that way to lift it off the ASDS.
CyndyC, there's your (new?) white bubble (VSAT antenna dome) dockside on a pallet, by the bow.

Yay! Thanks for that. Can't believe the both of you were able to spot it, and I didn't know what it was before this. Bow ID aside, it might help the situation if SpaceX uses more than one, and adds some of Kabloona's shock & vibration components.

Any speculation if the engine section went right through or if it got stuck inside? I cant see it.
Can we get the drone inside the hull?
So the days of us getting new drone footage of OCISLY may be numbered...

That's disappointing, but people here don't seem to have a problem using their imaginations. Sorry to those who don't care about seeing the image below again, but it might provide some help with Semmel's & OxCartMark's questions, and help illustrate some of the comments from others, and took enough work worth a repeat from my perspective:

« Last Edit: 03/22/2016 03:32 pm by CyndyC »
"Either lead, follow, or get out of the way." -- quote of debatable origin tweeted by Ted Turner and previously seen on his desk

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography