Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Nusantara Satu (PSN VI)/GTO-1/SpaceIL : Feb. 21/22, 2019: Discussion  (Read 135181 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Discussion Thread for PSN VI (more recently known as Nusantara Satu, which translates as "One
Archipelago") mission.  The main payload is the PSN VI communications satellite.  The secondary payloads as part of a rideshare arranged by Spaceflight Industries include the SpaceIL Beresheet lunar lander, which will separate in a supersync GTO (around 60k km apogee).  The S5 smallsat from the Air Force Research Laboratory will stay attached to PSN VI until it reaches GEO and then separate.  Total mass of the three payloads including the dispensers for the two smaller passengers is 4850kg.  Nusantara Satu is 4100kg, Beresheet is 585kg, S5 is 60kg.

NSF Threads for PSN VI : Discussion / Updates
NSF Articles for PSN VI :
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/news/spacex/
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018/10/israels-first-moon-launch-falcon-delayed-weeks/

Successful launch Feb. 21 at 20:45 EST (01:45 UTC on the 22nd) on Falcon 9 booster 1048.3 (previously used for Iridium 7 and SAOCOM 1A) from SLC-40 to supersync GTO.  ASDS landing was successful.  No attempt was made to recover the fairings, possibly because of the weather.

PSN VI is a communications satellite being built for the Indonesian operator PT Pasifik Satelit Nusantara.

SSL Press Release
PALO ALTO, Calif. – November 19, 2014 — Space Systems/Loral (SSL), a leading provider of commercial satellites, today announced that the contract award previously reported on October 29, 2014, was for the Indonesian satellite operator, PT Pasifik Satelit Nusantara (PSN). The commercial communications satellite, named PSN VI, will provide service throughout South East Asia and includes a High Throughput Satellite (HTS) payload for service in Indonesia.

With both C-band and Ku-band transponders, PSN VI will be used for voice and data communications, broadband Internet, and video distribution throughout the Indonesian archipelago. PSN is the first private satellite telecommunications company in Indonesia and a leading Asian provider of a full range of satellite-based telecommunication services.

“PSN has a charter to use satellites to provide innovative communications solutions that help improve lives and support economic growth in remote regions,” said John Celli, president of SSL. “We are very glad to have the opportunity to help PSN further this endeavor by providing, not just a satellite, but a package of services to support its business goals, including launch.”

When launched in early 2017, PSN VI will be located at 146 degrees East longitude. Based on SSL’s proven 1300 satellite platform, which provides the flexibility for a broad range of applications and technology advances, the satellite is designed to deliver service for 15 years or longer.

PSN VI was originally going to be a Boeing 702SP satellite that could be dual launched like the Eutelsat/ABS launches, but they could not find another company to share the launch and switched the order to SSL.
SpaceNews: Indonesia’s PSN Switches to SSL after Boeing Unable To Pair Up All-electric Satellite

The more interesting part of this mission is what's riding along with PSN VI:
SpaceNews: Falcon 9 Co-passenger Found for SS/L-built PSN-6 Satellite
One official said the payload in question was a U.S. government satellite that would be carried into space attached to the PSN-6 before being released just above the geostationary arc 36,000 kilometers over the equator.

Palto Alto, California-based SSL won the PSN-6 contract in November 2014 in part by making a long-standing Falcon 9 launch option part of its bid. The cost of the launch to SSL was apparently low enough that it could integrate it into its offer and win the PSN business with or without a co-passenger.
This article also said PSN VI will mass around 5000kg and use a mix of chemical and electric propulsion.

[Dec. 5, 2017] PSN Launches a USD 230 Million Satellite 2018
Pasifik Satelit Nusantara (PSN) will launch a new satellite named PSN VI. The satellite with a cost of USD 230 million will be flown in the fourth quarter of 2018.

To launch this satellite, PSN gets funding from Canada's export credit agency, namely Export Development Canada (EDC).

"We can finance USD 230 million in total project costs, of which 70% are loans and 30% are capital," PSN CEO Adi Rahman Adiwoso said at the financing signing ceremony at The Residence OnFive Grand Hyatt, Jakarta, Tuesday (05/12/2017) .

[Sep. 11, 2018] Spaceflight Offers Rideshare Launches to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit
The first mission will launch from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 which was procured by SSL, a Maxar Technologies company. It will represent the two companies’ first combined launch and Spaceflight’s first mission beyond Lower Earth Orbit (LEO).
The manifest for this Falcon 9 GTO rideshare mission is completely full. It features several undisclosed payloads along with an unmanned lunar spacecraft from SpaceIL, an Israeli nonprofit organization that was competing in the Google Lunar XPrize to land a spacecraft on the Moon. The first rideshare satellites will separate in GTO and then the SSL host spacecraft will continue on to Geostationary Orbit (GEO) where the remaining rideshare satellites will be separated.

PSN VI on Gunter's Space Page

Other SpaceX resources on NASASpaceflight:
   SpaceX News Articles (Recent)
   SpaceX News Articles from 2006 (Including numerous exclusive Elon interviews)
   SpaceX Dragon Articles
   SpaceX Missions Section (with Launch Manifest and info on past and future missions)

L2 SpaceX Section
« Last Edit: 02/22/2019 01:47 am by gongora »

Offline yokem55

• Oregon (Ore-uh-gun dammit)
  • Liked: 468
  • Likes Given: 13
Could the co passenger be the recently announced NROL mission? The timeframe is right...

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
If I'm not mistaken that's the second Indonesian organization to get a lift uphill on a Falcon???
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
If I'm not mistaken that's the second Indonesian organization to get a lift uphill on a Falcon???
First one was Malaysian (RazakSAT, last Falcon 1 flight, and the only actual payload--not demo mass--successfully launched on Falcon 1). They're neighboring countries with a very similar language but definitely not the same one.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
Could the co passenger be the recently announced NROL mission? The timeframe is right...

Any updates on whether PSN might be flying with NRO launch in April?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Any updates on whether PSN might be flying with NRO launch in April?

No mention of PSN 6 lately, and there is an FCC application for a RTLS flight that could be for the NROL payload (since it wouldn't make sense for anything else on the manifest.)

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
http://spacenews.com/china-great-wall-industry-corp-lands-indonesian-commercial-satellite-order/

The funded satellites are PSN-6, a C- and Ku-band satellite ordered from Space Systems Loral in 2014 that is scheduled to launch next year on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, the Palapa-N1 joint venture satellite, and the ageing Palapa-D. Adiwoso said PSN will seek to prolong the life of Palapa-D by moving it from 113 degrees east into a different orbit at 144 degrees east. Adiwoso said 70 percent of the capacity on PSN-6 is already sold.

Article suggests it will launch in 2018.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
First one was Malaysian (RazakSAT, last Falcon 1 flight, and the only actual payload--not demo mass--successfully launched on Falcon 1). They're neighboring countries with a very similar language but definitely not the same one.

I wasn't talking about RazakSat. (although I can't recall what I had in mind at the time) And I'm fairly aware of the difference between Malaysia and Indonesia, since my wife is Indonesian...

http://spacenews.com/china-great-wall-industry-corp-lands-indonesian-commercial-satellite-order/

The funded satellites are PSN-6, a C- and Ku-band satellite ordered from Space Systems Loral in 2014 that is scheduled to launch next year on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket, the Palapa-N1 joint venture satellite, and the ageing Palapa-D. Adiwoso said PSN will seek to prolong the life of Palapa-D by moving it from 113 degrees east into a different orbit at 144 degrees east. Adiwoso said 70 percent of the capacity on PSN-6 is already sold.

Article suggests it will launch in 2018.

Not sure I see how moving it prolongs the life.. doesn't it use at least some fuel otherwise used for stationkeeping to move 30 degrees. Even if one drifts it slowly... Does it have to do with improving the angle/distance of the antennae or something? I don't see that either.
« Last Edit: 05/18/2017 03:56 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Not sure I see how moving it prolongs the life.. doesn't it use at least some fuel otherwise used for stationkeeping to move 30 degrees. Even if one drifts it slowly... Does it have to do with improving the angle/distance of the antennae or something? I don't see that either.

Probably let it go into an inclined orbit at the new location?

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[detik inet] PSN Launches $ 230 Million Satellite End 2018
Jakarta - Pacific Satelit Nusantara (PSN) will launch its new satellite named PSN VI. The $ 230 million satellite will be flown in the fourth quarter of 2018.

To launch the satellite, PSN is financed by Canadian export credit agency, Export Development Canada (EDC).

"We can finance USD 230 million of total project cost, of which 70% is loan and 30% is capital," said PSN CEO Adi Rahman Adiwoso at the signing ceremony of the financing at The Residence OnFive Grand Hyatt, Jakarta, Tuesday (05/12/2017)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[Jakarta Globe] PSN Teams Up With Indosat, Buys Satellite From CGWIC
The company also plans to launch PSN VI satellite in 2019

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweet from Peter B. de Selding:
ndonesia's @PSNengage operator selects @HughesNet Jupiter broadband ground network for PSN-6 HTS satellite. Contract includes gateways, remote terminals, network management system. Internet penetration in Indonesia just 40% in 2017. PSN-6 to launch late this yr w/ @SpaceX.

Offline vaporcobra

Tweet from Peter B. de Selding:
ndonesia's @PSNengage operator selects @HughesNet Jupiter broadband ground network for PSN-6 HTS satellite. Contract includes gateways, remote terminals, network management system. Internet penetration in Indonesia just 40% in 2017. PSN-6 to launch late this yr w/ @SpaceX.

Damn, SSL has really been hammering satellites out 24/7. Will be surprised if this launches in 2018, though.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1304

Because if they didn't move it would be retired so a more capable, higher revenue sat could take it's place. 144E is not as good a slot.
« Last Edit: 06/27/2018 04:35 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
Thanks Nomadd ... I hadn't thought of the reuse elsewhere vs retire aspect.  (Also, nice necromancy of that old post!)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
[edit/gongora: originally posted in the SpaceIL temporary thread before we knew what launch it was on]

Just wanted to create a place for news/discussion about the SpaceIL lander that is apparently still launching with SpaceX.  When we figure out which flight it is actually going on I will merge this into the appropriate mission thread.

The discussion started in the manifest thread here:
https://twitter.com/TeamSpaceIL/status/1016633238008270850
We have a launch and landing dates! December 2018- Launch, February 13 2019- First Israeli spacecraft lands on the moon! SpaceIL's moon mission is officially underway
https://twitter.com/Cakeofdestiny/status/1016656640244936704
It will launch on a SpaceX rocket. SpaceX doesn't usually have exact times this far in advance. We'll know when it's much closer.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 12:40 pm by gongora »

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
[edit/gongora: originally posted in the SpaceIL temporary thread before we knew what launch it was on]

This is odd.  If it is launching from the Cape then it's either the GTO rideshare that Spaceflight has been extremely quiet about (I've been assuming they would start talking about it after the endlessly slipping SSO-A finally launches) or some other GTO mission like PSN VI (which was rumored to have a US government rideshare companion).

On the XPrize link they say:
Launch Contract for a 2017 Mission, Using a SpaceX Falcon 9 Launcher via Spaceflight Industries

I wouldn't count on that still being accurate.  It might be, but rideshare payloads move around all the time.

A 2015 blog post from Spacefilght: To the Moon!

The blog post contradicts the news statement, that the primary payload is a big communication satellite.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768

Just wanted to create a place for news/discussion about the SpaceIL lander that is apparently still launching with SpaceX.  When we figure out which flight it is actually going on I will merge this into the appropriate mission thread.

The discussion started in the manifest thread here:
https://twitter.com/TeamSpaceIL/status/1016633238008270850
We have a launch and landing dates! December 2018- Launch, February 13 2019- First Israeli spacecraft lands on the moon! SpaceIL's moon mission is officially underway
https://twitter.com/Cakeofdestiny/status/1016656640244936704
It will launch on a SpaceX rocket. SpaceX doesn't usually have exact times this far in advance. We'll know when it's much closer.
Secondary payload on the following is the only current listed flight actually flying in December per NSF schedule and there are 2 unfilled launch slots at SLC-40:

2018:
NET December - Arabsat 6A - Falcon Heavy - Kennedy LC-39A (or January 2019)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

A 2015 blog post from Spacefilght: To the Moon!

The blog post contradicts the news statement, that the primary payload is a big communication satellite.

That's 3 years old, and they didn't even specify which Spaceflight rideshare they were on (our discussion at the time was in the SSO-A thread).  The Spaceflight FCC filing for SSO-A didn't mention it (not sure it would need to if it stayed attached to the upper stage of Falcon until deployment), and unless Spaceflight is currently integrating two big rideshare missions I'm extremely skeptical of a Spaceflight GTO rideshare anywhere near December 2018.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Secondary payload on the following is the only current listed flight actually flying in December per NSF schedule and there are 2 unfilled launch slots at SLC-40:

2018:
NET December - Arabsat 6A - Falcon Heavy - Kennedy LC-39A (or January 2019)

This was the other flight that caught my eye when I looked at the manifest.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography