Author Topic: "Russia in Space" - new book by Anatoly Zak  (Read 45867 times)

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
"Russia in Space" - new book by Anatoly Zak
« on: 05/22/2013 12:48 am »
Well done, Anatoly! Please keep doing the good things that you are doing now!  8)
« Last Edit: 08/06/2013 04:36 pm by Davinator »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: "Russia in Space" - new book by Anatoly Zak
« Reply #1 on: 05/22/2013 02:18 am »
If you know of any institution interested in organizing a book-singing event or obtaining multiple copies, please do not hesitate to contact me.

This looks like an awesome book. Many congratulations. What makes it even more awesome is that you're going to SING it! Far braver man than me.

40 is a nice discount.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline fregate

• Melbourne Australia
« Reply #2 on: 05/22/2013 04:07 am »
I 'd like to see how Anatoly could manage to SING it as well as to SIGN it! 
« Last Edit: 05/22/2013 04:07 am by fregate »
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #3 on: 05/22/2013 05:06 am »
Ordered my copy!
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline Hyperion5

• Liked: 1373
  • Likes Given: 302
« Reply #4 on: 05/22/2013 05:34 am »
Anatoly proves yet again that nobody finds better illustrations than he does.  The book is almost worth the purchase price from the pictures alone, from what I can see.  I'm glad to see he went with a narrative outline, which I thought was the right way to tell the story of the USSR & Russia's space program.  The N-1 looks rather ridiculous with that many different stages in it.  I'd love to see the simple internals of an Energia next to the N-1's. 

Fregate, by any chance, do you know if Anatoly is comparing those two LVs in a diagram in the book? 

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #5 on: 05/22/2013 06:22 am »
I'd prefer if this was in a digital format.   If not, I might have to buy this anyway.

Offline asmi

• Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 128
« Reply #6 on: 05/22/2013 01:28 pm »
I'd prefer if this was in a digital format.   If not, I might have to buy this anyway.
Second that - all books I've read in past two years were digital and I'm reading on my tablet. This is especially useful for reference materials as you can SEARCH :)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #7 on: 05/22/2013 01:49 pm »
Forward by "someone famous" !! LOL

Must be the cover artwork needed to be done but they didn't have that nailed down yet (or didn't want to reveal yet)...

Lots of great books coming out!
« Last Edit: 05/22/2013 01:49 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: 08/05/2013 04:41 pm »
A colleague just got this book and says it is outstanding. It is still available at the pre-order discount, but probably not for long:

http://www.apogeeprime.com/prime/bookpages/9781926837253.html

Russia In Space is a unique attempt to visualize space exploration¹s future through the eyes of Russian space engineers and to describe that nation¹s plans in space. Based on actual documents, rather than on guesswork, it is the first comprehensive illustrated book dedicated to the Russian vision for the future of manned spaceflight from the dawn of manned spaceflight until today. Lavishly illustrated with images of unparalleled artistic quality and technical accuracy, Russia In Space:

- puts the development of the Russian manned spacecraft into political and historical context;

- uniquely describes the future of space exploration through the eyes of Russian space engineers and planners;

- introduces hitherto unrevealed systems developed for the Russian space program;

- describes past events and future plans in the historical context of the fall and rise of the Russian space program.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #9 on: 08/05/2013 06:52 pm »
All his work is amazing. As soon as I can get a copy I will. Regrettably, the Customs in my country are being something that no filter would allow me to write down.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 08/06/2013 02:31 pm »
I now have my coworker's copy in my grubby little hands.

GO BUY THIS BOOK!

What I did not realize is that it is large format. For those of you interested in digital, I'd only say that this is a demonstration of the value of books. Large format, high quality illustrations in high resolution. Looks great.

I thought it seemed a little pricey at first, but it is good quality glossy stock and filled with pictures. I'm a little wary of the binding (I don't know if it will split) but it's a good, heavy book.

Go buy it!

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #11 on: 08/06/2013 09:23 pm »
Mr Zak - who is brilliant - either reads this site (hope so!) or was made aware of this thread, as he tweeted about it today! :)

Anatoly Zak ‏@RussianSpaceWeb
Multiple sightings of just delivered copies of Russia in Space are reported around North America: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31985.0
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: 08/06/2013 10:09 pm »
Mr Zak - who is brilliant - either reads this site (hope so!) or was made aware of this thread, as he tweeted about it today! :)

Multiple sightings of just delivered copies of Russia in Space are reported around North America: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31985.0

No, he was alerted on Facebook. Buncha people kept congratulating him for such a nice book, and he had to note that he had still not seen the final copy himself...
« Last Edit: 08/07/2013 02:26 am by Blackstar »

Offline fregate

• Melbourne Australia
« Reply #13 on: 08/07/2013 04:43 am »
Anatoly proves yet again that nobody finds better illustrations than he does.  The book is almost worth the purchase price from the pictures alone, from what I can see.  I'm glad to see he went with a narrative outline, which I thought was the right way to tell the story of the USSR & Russia's space program.  The N-1 looks rather ridiculous with that many different stages in it.  I'd love to see the simple internals of an Energia next to the N-1's. 

Fregate, by any chance, do you know if Anatoly is comparing those two LVs in a diagram in the book? 
I did not get a book yet - waiting for a signed copy with great anticipation...

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 581
« Reply #14 on: 08/07/2013 06:59 am »

How come Anatoly Zak is not on NSF already?  :(  Someone should ask him to join here too. Would be a valuable addition!

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #15 on: 08/08/2013 05:51 pm »
Been looking for this for a while, it disappeared off Amazon here a little while back & now I cannot locate it. Very puzzling.
« Last Edit: 08/08/2013 05:52 pm by Star One »

Offline fregate

• Melbourne Australia
« Reply #16 on: 08/10/2013 01:32 am »

How come Anatoly Zak is not on NSF already?  :(  Someone should ask him to join here too. Would be a valuable addition!
I believe that he is a registered member of this forum.
IMHO he would be even more informed if he would be a member of L2 section (To Chris Bergin - wink, wink).
Anatoly is off-line by some family reasons, but he asked me to say hello to all posters at NSF,  that he "really flattered and thankful for all the positive feedback".  BTW - he got his printed book from publisher too!

Offline fregate

• Melbourne Australia
« Reply #17 on: 08/10/2013 01:48 am »
Been looking for this for a while, it disappeared off Amazon here a little while back & now I cannot locate it. Very puzzling.
AFAIK A.Zak changed a publisher, Amazon original announcement was for a previous one (his book supposed to be published under Springer-Praxis Space Exploration program).   

Offline Hyperion5

• Liked: 1373
  • Likes Given: 302
« Reply #18 on: 08/10/2013 03:18 am »

I believe that he is a registered member of this forum.
IMHO he would be even more informed if he would be a member of L2 section (To Chris Bergin - wink, wink).
Anatoly is off-line by some family reasons, but he asked me to say hello to all posters at NSF,  that he "really flattered and thankful for all the positive feedback".  BTW - he got his printed book from publisher too!

He forgot to mention also singlehandedly making up for that awful architecture of the Newhouse School at Syracuse University. :)  I still haven't forgiven the architect, but at least Anatoly's work proves the school inside at least produces some quality writers!  Sadly he's been about the only Russian in the US I've ever talked to who's expressed an interest in Russia's space program.  Perhaps that will change when Russia's ambitions in space include manned moon missions. 

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #19 on: 08/13/2013 01:32 pm »
AFAIK A.Zak changed a publisher, Amazon original announcement was for a previous one (his book supposed to be published under Springer-Praxis Space Exploration program).   

Thanks for that.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography