Author Topic: 3D Printer uses Space Related  (Read 320727 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Re: 3D Printer uses Space Related
« Reply #680 on: 11/08/2016 06:46 pm »
TU Wien: Researchers 3D Print Gold Using Basic Compounds & Electron Beams
https://3dprint.com/154744/tu-wien-researchers-3d-print-gold/

article linkage: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep34003

2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #681 on: 11/08/2016 06:53 pm »
XJet Introduces New 3D Printing Breakthrough: Ceramic NanoParticle Jetting Technology
https://3dprint.com/154789/xjet-ceramic-nanoparticle-jetting/

"NanoParticle Jetting Technology prints ceramic materials in the same way as metals. A liquid dispersion containing ceramic nanoparticles, contained in sealed cartridges, is loaded into the printer, where it is then jetted onto the build platform, just like any inkjet printer. The high temperatures inside the build envelope cause the liquid to evaporate, leaving layers of ceramic behind to form parts with the same mechanical properties as traditionally manufactured ceramics"

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #682 on: 11/10/2016 01:49 pm »

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #683 on: 11/10/2016 10:22 pm »
Winner of space 3D printing competition selected
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/winner-space-3d-printing-competition-selected-98236/

Those space tongs look good. Is the STL file for it publicly available?

Offline Rei

• Iceland
  • Liked: 332
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #684 on: 11/13/2016 12:22 pm »
That gold one really got me thinking... what if you weren't printing using particle beams to evaporate / modify compounds, but literally doing (n, X), (p, X) or other nuclear reactions with particle beams?  I mean, that's grossly impractical for large scales, but since they're making things on the order of nanometers there...  It'd mean the ability - if you had an abundant particle source - to do nanoengineering without having to have all of the compounds needed available locally, just a single block of a single substance which is then altered by reactions with the beam.  You could control what reactions occur by controlling what particles and energies you use (simple neutron capture, multiple capture, neutron multiplication, spallation, etc), and thus produce a range of compounds with different properties in a target - conductors, insulators, gases, liquids, etc.  You'd also have (some) control over depth of where the beam modifies.  You'd also have the ability to create a variety of radioactive isotopes in the structure, and thus nanoscale RTGs, self-ionization for nanoscale structures that can be moved around by electric or magnetic fields, etc.

The printing would be messy (you never have complete control over what reactions will occur or very narrowly constrained depths), but I see no reason why it couldn't be done (on very small scales).  Probably not reasonable for most applications, but the concept occurred to me when I read that.
« Last Edit: 11/13/2016 12:25 pm by Rei »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #685 on: 11/13/2016 11:28 pm »
Winner of space 3D printing competition selected
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/winner-space-3d-printing-competition-selected-98236/

Those space tongs look good. Is the STL file for it publicly available?

Looked it up, not yet but you might track down the winner.

http://www.mouser.com/contests/iss-project-contest?entry_id=129720410

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #686 on: 11/15/2016 05:24 pm »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #687 on: 11/28/2016 12:15 am »
Russian Engineers to Develop Solar 3D Printer for Construction Activity on the Moon

very small article
https://3dprint.com/156606/swm-november-26-2016/

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #688 on: 11/29/2016 12:53 pm »
A-hands on approach to chemistry in 3d printed molecules (open source)
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/a-hands-on-approach-to-chemistry-in-3d-printed-molecules-99687/

"Dr. Anthony Williams of the National Center of Computational Toxicology and the Environmental Protection Agency in the US, has developed a JMol searchable database of over 30,000 3D printable crystal models for use in education."

Interactive Dimonad Gif
www.gifs.com/gif/0gEVVy

Edit: Cleanup

For more information about the production process and the models the article [/font][/size]is now available online. Downloadable link  http://jcheminf.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s13321-016-0181-z

or Download PDF below
« Last Edit: 12/02/2016 04:44 pm by Prober »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #689 on: 12/02/2016 04:45 pm »
NASA gear up on the manufacturing of advanced materials for Jupiter mission
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/nasa-gear-manufacturing-advanced-materials-jupiter-mission-99996/

« Last Edit: 12/02/2016 04:48 pm by Prober »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #690 on: 12/02/2016 04:55 pm »

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #691 on: 12/06/2016 07:58 pm »
US Government Authorizes Moon Express to Send Robotic Spacecraft with 3D Printed Components to the Moon in 2017

https://3dprint.com/157846/3d-printed-spacecraft-to-the-moon/

SpaceX & Rocket labs linkage

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #692 on: 12/08/2016 11:57 am »
“Super Inkjet Technology” enables desktop 3D printing for electronics
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/super-inkjet-technology-enables-desktop-3d-printing-electronics-100442/

"Japanese company Super Inkjet Technology (SIJT) Inc. have created a desktop printer that can print metal in sub-micro sized particles. Established in 2005 following work from a research institution, this “super fine inkjet” technology "

"According to the company, their method is unlike any of the current drop-on-demand (DOD) inkjet printing processes of Thermal DOD or Piezoelectric DOD. SIJ prints with much smaller droplet sizes using metals and conductive inks yet operates under normal temperatures and atmospheric conditions, rather than requiring a vacuum or high temperature build chamber."

"One advantage of SIJ Technology is that the high temperatures that are often associated with metal printing are not required since the melting point of metal particles smaller in diameter than 20 nanometres dramatically decreases. For example, a micron sized silver particle has a melting point of 961°C while a nano sized particle may be as low as room temperature. This has obvious advantages for the technology as it allows the printing of these substances in room temperature conditions without having to factor in heat management"

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #693 on: 12/09/2016 06:21 pm »
How a NASA Supplier & Thermoplastic Firm’s Material Allow 3D Printing in Space
https://3dprint.com/158277/green-pe-3d-printing-in-space/

"In an interview with Tech Insider, space station engineer Ravi Margasahayam recently confirmed that it costs around $500 million to $1.5 billion to launch a space shuttle to the ISS. He further noted that the multi-billion dollar deal NASA has with SpaceX and Orbital Sciences means that it costs at least $43,180 per pound for Orbital Science’s Cygnus to send cargo into the ISS and around $27,000 per pound of cargo for SpaceX rockets. To put that into perspective, a bottle of water could cost anywhere from $9,1000 to $43,180 and an espresso machine could at least $1.9 million to deliver to the ISS. Astronauts need their espresso, too.

Considering the costs of NASA, SpaceX and Orbital Sciences to send cargo to the ISS, the reason behind the demand for per-request manufacturing is fairly apparent. While it is difficult to calculate the precise amount of money Braskem’s technology could save, if a material like I’m Green plastic that is lightweight can be carried into space to create more dense and robust aircraft parts, construction materials and spare components, it could potentially save billions of dollars. 3D printing of spare parts has helped astronauts out since the first 3D printer was installed on the ISS, allowing for creative options from raw materials."

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #694 on: 12/10/2016 12:40 pm »
Micron3DP & MIT 3D printing in molten glass
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/micron3dp-mit-3d-printing-molten-glass-100702/

"An ability to manipulate glass in such a way is bursting with potential. Making something so finely controlled means that the process could be used to make equipment used in laboratories for example. It could also bring that production in-house, so that technicians can get a more proximate finish.

The team at Micron 3DP are also currently targeting security, architecture and aerospace industries for possible use cases, encouraging engineers and artists to come forward with their ideas."

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #695 on: 12/10/2016 12:46 pm »
3D printing at London Science Museum experiments with emerging technology
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/londons-science-museum-experiments-with-emerging-tech-100692/

"At the show there are seven areas including a chemistry bar where guests can order chemical potions, travel through space or experience lightning. The space features were created in partnership with the European Space Agency. All the scientific fields are covered, including physics for those who prefer explosive demonstrations."

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #696 on: 12/14/2016 01:33 pm »
NASA gives $500,000 to Pittsburgh’s superalloy research
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/nasa-gives-500000-pittsburghs-superalloy-research-100908/

"The overall goal is to ‘[create a] robust simulation toolkit capable of predicting microstructure in an as-fabricated AM part given the process parameters.’ Put simply, this tool will evaluate the strength of 3D printed metal for use in aerospace engineering, focusing on Inconel 718, a Nickel-Chromium ‘superalloy’ resistant to high temperatures and tensile pressure."

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #697 on: 12/14/2016 01:43 pm »
Arconic and Airbus  (mini articles)
https://3dprintingindustry.com/news/sliced-3d-printing-digest-featuring-octobot-airbus-adidas-100931/

"Arconic (NYSE:ARNC) are furthering their collaboration with Airbus with new agreements to 3D print nickel and titanium parts for Airbus planes. North American Arconic are a global engineering and 3D printing company and will supply components for the A320 planes starting in 2017."

Offline Prober

• Nevada
« Reply #698 on: 12/16/2016 08:01 pm »
Harvard Researchers Develop First-Ever Fully Autonomous Soft-Bodied Robot: Meet the 3D Printed Octobot
https://3dprint.com/147094/harvard-octobot-soft-robot/

"The octobot is powered not by batteries or electronics, but by simple hydrogen peroxide that, when it decomposes to gas, flows into the octobot’s limbs and inflates them, causing them to lift and flex. The chemical reaction is controlled by a microfluidic logic circuit developed by chemist George M. Whitesides, a co-author on the study. The logic circuit, which involves a series of valves, channels and fuel reservoirs, is a soft analog of an electronic oscillator, and it dictates when the hydrogen peroxide decomposes to gas – meaning that the octobot requires no external cues from humans or computers."

Offline Katana

• Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #699 on: 12/22/2016 10:00 am »
That gold one really got me thinking... what if you weren't printing using particle beams to evaporate / modify compounds, but literally doing (n, X), (p, X) or other nuclear reactions with particle beams?  I mean, that's grossly impractical for large scales, but since they're making things on the order of nanometers there...  It'd mean the ability - if you had an abundant particle source - to do nanoengineering without having to have all of the compounds needed available locally, just a single block of a single substance which is then altered by reactions with the beam.  You could control what reactions occur by controlling what particles and energies you use (simple neutron capture, multiple capture, neutron multiplication, spallation, etc), and thus produce a range of compounds with different properties in a target - conductors, insulators, gases, liquids, etc.  You'd also have (some) control over depth of where the beam modifies.  You'd also have the ability to create a variety of radioactive isotopes in the structure, and thus nanoscale RTGs, self-ionization for nanoscale structures that can be moved around by electric or magnetic fields, etc.

The printing would be messy (you never have complete control over what reactions will occur or very narrowly constrained depths), but I see no reason why it couldn't be done (on very small scales).  Probably not reasonable for most applications, but the concept occurred to me when I read that.

Ion injection for IC chips , though not yet nuclear.

Nuclear reaction have radioactive byproducts.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography