Author Topic: NSF Master Plan for 2017 onwards (Help create it)  (Read 99698 times)

Offline fthomassy

• Austin, Texas, Earth, Sol, Orion, Milky-Way, Virgo, Bang 42
  • Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 2952
Re: NSF Master Plan for 2017 onwards (Help create it)
« Reply #120 on: 02/13/2017 02:08 pm »
Hope this is the right place for "suggestion box" items.

I like to browse by unread threads.  However, if I check back after the weekend (like just now) there are just too many so I browse unread threads section by section.  Once I've opened the threads of interest to other tabs I then select the "MARK READ" button.  This puts my browser back to the top of the  Forums page.  I then need to page down to get back to where I left off.  I would rather be directed to the Forums page at the section I just finished browsing. So if I just finished browsing the SpaceX section I'd like the MARK READ button to put me here.  This facilitates moving down the forum section by section.  ... Thanks!
gyatm . . . Fern

Online saliva_sweet

• Liked: 476
  • Likes Given: 1826
« Reply #121 on: 09/05/2017 06:28 pm »
I'd like the option to get email notifications of posts with x number of likes in any thread.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #122 on: 11/06/2017 10:34 pm »
When the forum gets revamped it might be nice to add a little vertical spacing between attachments at the end of the post (or have some way to group document attachments separately from image attachments).  If a document and an image are both attached the link for the document is right up against the image.
« Last Edit: 11/06/2017 10:35 pm by gongora »

Offline tyrred

• Seattle
  • Liked: 750
  • Likes Given: 20640
« Reply #123 on: 11/07/2017 03:55 pm »
I had a dream last night that the site went holographic. Ah, dreams...

In reality, it would be interesting to have an optional "node-based" mode for threads and comments, that can link to other threads and comments similar to the visuwords thesaurus:

https://visuwords.com/rocket

Offline JohnR

• Florida
  • Liked: 44
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #124 on: 11/18/2017 02:43 pm »
I find that I am browsing the web more and more on my iPad. One issue that I am running into is that there are quite a few videos on the site (especially the historical ones) that are not in a playable format (WMV usually). I would be willing to pay a extra to have the website transcode or stream those videos when I am browsing on my iPad. If not possible, I would also be willing to help transcode them to a different format.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #125 on: 11/18/2017 11:31 pm »
JohnR,

Welcome to the site.  I post most of the Historic videos on this site (as well as others), and I usually point them to YouTube.  I usually provide two links (for those with TapTalk).  I tried the following thread (http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44262.0 ) on my IPad and had no issues viewing the video directly in the thread or using the link to bring up and view the YouTube app.  Perhaps there is some setting that is causing this to happen to you (which I'm not aware of to assist you).  By the way, most if not all of these videos are on mp4 on YouTube.

Hope you the best.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #126 on: 11/18/2017 11:38 pm »
I post most of the Historic videos on this site (as well as others), and I usually point them to YouTube.

There are quite a few older videos in L2 that were not posted by you and are in .wmv format.

edit:  A lot of stuff in the public side NSF Video Collection thread are also in .wmv
« Last Edit: 11/18/2017 11:40 pm by gongora »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8802
  • Likes Given: 7821
« Reply #127 on: 11/18/2017 11:43 pm »
I post most of the Historic videos on this site (as well as others), and I usually point them to YouTube.

There are quite a few older videos in L2 that were not posted by you and are in .wmv format.

edit:  A lot of stuff in the public side NSF Video Collection thread are also in .wmv

I See, it's the direct uploads of members videos to NSF that are of issue.  I got it now.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline JohnR

• Florida
« Reply #128 on: 11/20/2017 03:51 pm »
catdir,

Thank you for welcome. I didn't meant to insult the fine work that other members have done on the site. I like a lot of the historical stuff and some of those videos were uploaded to the site several years ago. I made the change from MS to Apple and it takes some work to make WMV videos play. I certainly would be willing to pitch in help to transcode them.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #129 on: 11/20/2017 05:39 pm »
catdir,

Thank you for welcome. I didn't meant to insult the fine work that other members have done on the site. I like a lot of the historical stuff and some of those videos were uploaded to the site several years ago. I made the change from MS to Apple and it takes some work to make WMV videos play. I certainly would be willing to pitch in help to transcode them.

Would VLC for iOS be of any help to you (it will play several versions of .wmv files)?

Link: https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-ios.html

Offline JohnR

• Florida
« Reply #130 on: 11/20/2017 07:22 pm »
AnalogMan,

Yes, VLC is helpful.

Offline Fly_or_Boom

« Reply #131 on: 05/09/2018 05:55 am »
Updated the logo on NSF's Wikipedia page!  :)

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #132 on: 05/09/2018 10:54 am »
Updated the logo on NSF's Wikipedia page!  :)

Thanks! We probably could do with updating the text too! ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #133 on: 08/17/2018 09:11 am »
Question for the forum software geeks:

When watching peoples posts containing lots of useful information (especially in L2), I tend to 'like' them. Especially series of images as for example from launch- or media events. I noticed that the forum always reloads the entire page whenever I hit the 'like' button. Now that seems a bit unnecessary. Is there a way to prevent the site from reloading when I use the 'like' button? In this context, thank you for removing the 2 minutes waiting time between likes. That made the above process much more comfortable already!

Also, I would love to 'like' on the mobile version of NFS forum as well ;)

Online DanseMacabre

« Reply #134 on: 01/04/2019 03:06 pm »
A plugin providing a "Quote in Discussion Thread" button for posts in an update thread that automagically starts a new post in the discussion thread with the quote prefilled.

Offline Tomness

• Into the abyss will I run
  • Liked: 289
  • Likes Given: 737
« Reply #135 on: 01/04/2019 06:00 pm »
Is there enough L2 membership to go to month by month bases instead of every 2?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #136 on: 01/04/2019 06:06 pm »
Is there enough L2 membership to go to month by month bases instead of every 2?

Bottom line is it's still less than 99.9 percent of the people who will use this site today being L2 members, but that's natural as most people think sites like this are free and cost nothing to run "I'll never pay for using the internet, it's free" types - running around with their paid-for ad blocker. ;)

Per the other part, I always get worried about changing the L2 sub format, as I don't want to let anyone down who's already subscribed. It's why we don't do "Black Friday" and such, because if someone signed up and then a week later it was cheaper, that's a kick in the teeth for someone who's supporting the site.

Now one month at 9.99 wouldn't impact that, but I don't want to annoy the members who signed up at the lowest sub, two months.

If there was a large demand for it, I'd consider it, but that's the first time anyone's asked me in years, so I'm not so sure.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #137 on: 01/04/2019 06:09 pm »
A plugin providing a "Quote in Discussion Thread" button for posts in an update thread that automagically starts a new post in the discussion thread with the quote prefilled.
I 100% echo this sentiment. It was something I proposed a while back. I think if the naming convention was consistent - such as "[Subject X] Discussion" and "[Subject X] Updates and Photos" then finding the corresponding discussion thread to put the quote into programatically would be quite doable. Putting proper metadata tags into threads could also serve the same purpose without having to put constraints on thread names.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #138 on: 01/08/2019 02:49 pm »
I 100% echo this sentiment. It was something I proposed a while back. I think if the naming convention was consistent - such as "[Subject X] Discussion" and "[Subject X] Updates and Photos" then finding the corresponding discussion thread to put the quote into programatically would be quite doable. Putting proper metadata tags into threads could also serve the same purpose without having to put constraints on thread names.
I would love this but I think it would be fairly hard to do reliably.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #139 on: 01/08/2019 02:53 pm »
Yeah, I literally can't think how it could be done unless someone manually enters the code into the script each time for the discussion thread on each update thread and even then such a thread may not exist, only for the usual amount of people to ignore that option as much as they do with the update only threads at present.

The sort of people who'd use it are more than capable of getting their head around "Quote" "Copy" "post with rely in the discussion thread". Those who aren't sure as heck won't use the script tab to copy their post - as listed, while some poor soul has to script each update thread to allow it.

Non-starter. Just need to drum it into people's heads that "Quote" "Copy" "Post" in the discussion thread isn't hard.
« Last Edit: 01/08/2019 02:54 pm by Chris Bergin »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography