Author Topic: Cygnus OA-9 VIEWING  (Read 3186 times)

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Cygnus OA-9 VIEWING
« on: 05/10/2018 03:04 pm »
Starting a thread for the launch scheduled for a week from Sunday (May 20).  Pre-dawn (just barely pre-twilight) launch at 5:04 am (5-minute window) should make for amazing visual conditions.  (Maybe an ISS sighting too??) Here's the sun position chart from Chincoteague. 

I'll be attending the NASA Social for the event.  Very excited.   ;D

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: Cygnus OA-9 VIEWING
« Reply #1 on: 05/10/2018 04:00 pm »
Boom!

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81677
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #2 on: 05/13/2018 01:08 pm »
Heads up East Coast! We are scheduled to launch our #OA9 #Cygnus aboard #Antares from @NASA_Wallops a week from today. Take a look to find out when you'll be able to see the launch from your town. The five-minute window opens at 5:04 am EDT

https://twitter.com/orbitalatk/status/995650855020965888

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #3 on: 05/13/2018 11:58 pm »
Congratulations for making the cut! Looking forward to the seeing the pictures and hearing the report!
I will be stationed at the old ferry dock but I will have to leave if the postponed. So here is hoping.

Starting a thread for the launch scheduled for a week from Sunday (May 20).  Pre-dawn (just barely pre-twilight) launch at 5:04 am (5-minute window) should make for amazing visual conditions.  (Maybe an ISS sighting too??) Here's the sun position chart from Chincoteague. 

I'll be attending the NASA Social for the event.  Very excited.   ;D

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #4 on: 05/20/2018 10:50 pm »
With (hopefully) clear skies, I plan on getting a nice view of the launch from Long Island, NY. At 4:11 a.m. the ISS will pass almost directly (84 degrees) over head.

« Last Edit: 05/20/2018 11:14 pm by TJL »

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #5 on: 05/21/2018 08:55 am »
Very nice view...especially with binoculars...from my deck in Kill Devil Hills, NC.

Picked it up about 85 sec after liftoff, saw staging and coast, then 2nd stage for a few minutes in and out of clouds before losing in a solid cloud bank.
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #6 on: 05/21/2018 09:32 am »
Got a nice view of launch from Long Island this morning!

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #7 on: 05/25/2018 02:19 am »
Heard on the radio that a last minute storm was moving off the coast, luckily the lightning was 12 miles offshore and moving away so I was able to grab this shot. This was from the NASA old ferry dock.

« Last Edit: 05/25/2018 02:22 am by FXM »

Offline dwein

• New York
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: 05/25/2018 05:15 pm »
Wanted to share my experience from this weeks launch with the group.
I started out at Arbuckle Neck Rd at about 7pm the night before the launch. There were a few people there (some press, some NASA) taking pics of the launchpad.
I had called up the Sheriff's office the night before and they had no idea if that road would be closed for the launch, so I set up the camp out there for the night. Sure enough, at about 12:45am, I got a knock on my window by a cop. Not sure if it was Sheriff's or NASA police, but he explained that they didn't allow anyone to view from there after Orb-3. So I packed up and drove over to the old NASA ferry dock, which was the next closest viewpoint. There were about 10-15 other people there at that point, so I set up my gear on the jetty and waited there until the launch.
All in all, it was a really great experience and I got some pretty good pics for 2+ miles away. I really wish NASA or local gov would improve the Arbuckle Neck Rd point and make it a proper viewing area. The view from there is really the best around.

Until next time!
David

(more pics and vids on Instagram-
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjFFWDGHHT6)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography