Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1423953 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Isn't that Elsbeth III moored outboard of the GO twins in Jim's post #751?

Yup, that's her.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Public reports elsewhere that launch has slipped until the 5th, which makes OCISLY departure probable early Sunday morning.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
Just wanted to say thanks to CameronD for having the patience to inject some realism into this discussion. As someone who works at sea I find some of the more outlandish questions and suggestions hilarious and/or exasperating.

SpaceX have got this right- off the shelf dynamic positioning system, barge, tug. Repeat as necessary for multiple recoveries.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Dumb question ya'll

Can someone say just how far the tugs are stationed away from the drone ship during a landing attempt?

Many thanks in advance.

- Jeff

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18196
  • Likes Given: 12153
Dumb question ya'll

Can someone say just how far the tugs are stationed away from the drone ship during a landing attempt?

Many thanks in advance.

- Jeff
Not a dumb question at all. The answer is: a few miles. Someone here is bound to have an exact number of miles for you.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2016 03:24 pm by woods170 »

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
Dumb question ya'll
Are the Go * ships which I know have bow thrusters able to self park or do they need tugs?
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline majormajor42

• Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 230
From the CRS-8 update thread;
Wow - SpaceX just tweeted a 360 degree video of the stage landing on OCISLY. You have to view it on YouTube, but if viewed with smartphone you can move your phone around to adjust viewing angle...

wasn't there water being sprayed on deck during the landing on previous attempts? I don't see them doing this in the newest video.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2016 07:04 pm by majormajor42 »
...water is life and it is out there, where we intend to go. I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man or machine on a body such as the Moon and harvest a cup of water for a human to drink or process into fuel for their craft.

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
Thanks for the explanation of how the 3D view works.  I watched the video from a desktop yesterday and was puzzled by the 3D description.

As for the water spray, yes, that's been known from the previous overhead video.  One take on it is that they only used the water on the first few times because they were reacting to the deck doom scenarios posted on NSF and the proposed solutions.  Now that they see they don't need it they know not to take advice from NSF postings.  They'll probably go with engineering analysis from now on.   ;D
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 155
Thanks for the explanation of how the 3D view works.  I watched the video from a desktop yesterday and was puzzled by the 3D description.

FYI you can click and drag on the video when using a desktop to look around...

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943

Dumb question ya'll

Many thanks in advance.

- Jeff
Not a dumb question at all. The answer is: a few miles. Someone here is bound to have an exact number of miles for you.
IIRC, when examining the FCC permits for transmission, the support ships are positioned roughly 10 (statute?) miles from the ASDS.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline Hankelow8

• UK
  • Liked: 166
  • Likes Given: 68

Dumb question ya'll

Many thanks in advance.

- Jeff

IIRC, when examining the FCC permits for transmission, the support ships are positioned roughly 10 (statute?) miles from the ASDS.

Now that Space X have proven their accuracy for landing  on ASDs, I wonder if they will be allowed to stand off at a much closer distance. 10 miles distance now seems way over the top for safety constraints.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2016 08:57 pm by Hankelow8 »

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381

Dumb question ya'll

Many thanks in advance.

- Jeff
Now that Space X have proven their accuracy for landing  on ASDs, I wonder if they will be allowed to stand off at a much closer distance. 10 miles distance now seems way over the top for safety constants.
I don't know for a fact but I think the safety concern is the IIP of debris and/or the rocket if something goes horribly wrong.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline IntoTheVoid

• USA
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 134
OCISLY leaving the dock. Still in frame at http://www.portcanaveralwebcam.com/

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
Camera operator is on point with Ocisily views.

Matthew

Offline matthewkantar

Tug called Stephanie S pushing.

Offline acsawdey

What is the yellow apparatus at the starboard rear of OCISLY? Seems like it has two vertical bars in back, a cylinder inside, and perhaps a ladder on the deck side? It seems to be overhanging the stern slightly.

Offline matthewkantar

I noticed that thing too, I think it may be new. Got good screen shots of it, but don't think I can post them for IP reasons. On the other hand, it is not an angle we usually see Ocisly from.

Matthew

Offline Jeff Lerner

• Toronto, Canada
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 240
Kind of like watching paint dry...slow transit of Ocisly and tug...

......Aaannnnd we are done...web cam now showing another ship...hopefully the next time we see Ocisly there is another Falcon 9 standing tall on her deck....
« Last Edit: 05/01/2016 12:04 am by Jeff Lerner »

Offline MarekCyzio

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
I saw nothing on Marinetraffic for EIII today or yesterday when the three ships were splashing around the harbor.  Kinda odd considering Marinetraffic has a receiver bolted to Fishlips.  I only see one current hit and no path / track from EIII on Vesselfinder.  Is anyone seeing better with the other services?
Actulus Ferociter!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography