Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS-7 FCC Landing Application List  (Read 10660 times)

Online Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
Didn't see a CRS 7 thread so I thought id make one.

Here is the FCC app for CRS 7:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/els/reports/STA_Print.cfm?mode=current&application_seq=65384

Looks like the barge is going to be in the same place as last time
« Last Edit: 04/29/2015 03:31 pm by Carl G »

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Re: SpaceX CRS 7 FCC app
« Reply #1 on: 04/29/2015 12:02 am »
Nice find! :)

Interesting that even SpaceX call the ASDS a "Barge" in official applications... and even more interesting to read of a 2090Mhz telemetry link between the ASDS, the "Boat" (presumably Go Quest) and Cape Canaveral AFS.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #2 on: 04/29/2015 12:34 am »
Cape Canaveral AFS is over the horizon.  So the link is between the rocket and the ground stations, not ship-to-shore.

Offline TOG

• Near Chicago, Illinois
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #3 on: 04/29/2015 01:14 am »
Question:
Could SpaceX use a stationary blimp to relay the signal? it does not have to be in direct line with the flight path, but needs to be high enough to have a direct line of sight to the receiving station.  They could even use a series of them to make the link.
((( Mods - if there is a better place for this question, please move it and accept my apologies for the derailment )))
« Last Edit: 04/29/2015 01:14 am by TOG »
M's Laws of Aerodynamics:                                    On Physics Exam:
1) if you push anything hard enough it will fly          Q)The allegory of Schrödinger's cat shows what?
2) if you stop pushing it stops flying                        A)That Shrödinger was a sadistic cat hater

Online Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #4 on: 04/29/2015 01:59 am »
Question:
Could SpaceX use a stationary blimp to relay the signal? it does not have to be in direct line with the flight path, but needs to be high enough to have a direct line of sight to the receiving station.  They could even use a series of them to make the link.
((( Mods - if there is a better place for this question, please move it and accept my apologies for the derailment )))

Personally I think that eventually the SpaceX satellite network will do this.

(Grammar edit)
« Last Edit: 04/29/2015 06:55 am by Eagandale4114 »

Offline cscott

« Reply #5 on: 04/29/2015 02:24 am »
There are already satellites in orbit to do this.  You can even buy bandwidth on them from commercial companies.  You don't need to fly your own blimps.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #6 on: 04/29/2015 02:47 am »
Cape Canaveral AFS is over the horizon.  So the link is between the rocket and the ground stations, not ship-to-shore.

Makes sense.. except that the rocket (1st and 2nd stages listed) isn't indicated to be carrying a transmitter on that frequency.

Interestingly, transmit power for the Barge and CCAFS are both listed as 1W whilst the Boat is 61W - so it could be just a short-range uplink on launch and landing and for a flight-profile uplink from the support vessel.  If I didn't know better I'd have thought it might be flight termination.. but we know the stage is safed long before landing.  Whatever it is really for it this application certainly confirms the existence of a short-range uplink to the rocket from the ASDS - unless it's via satellite and not to the rocket at all.  ???

EDIT:  It seems 2090MHz is a common NASA uplink frequency typically ground-to-rocket (not the other way around):
The 64 m subnet is committed to support the International Sun Earth Explorer (ISEE-3) spacecraft. The uplink and one of the downlink frequencies will be respectively, 2090 and 2217 MHz.
It also seems a few here have discussed all this a year or so ago: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=35244.420

..and for some other light reading on this frequency band:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/files/ntia/publications/compendium/2025.00-2110.00_01MAR14.pdf

« Last Edit: 04/29/2015 03:10 am by CameronD »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #7 on: 04/29/2015 03:39 am »

Interestingly, transmit power for the Barge and CCAFS are both listed as 1W whilst the Boat is 61W - so it could be just a short-range uplink on launch and landing and for a flight-profile uplink from the support vessel.  If I didn't know better I'd have thought it might be flight termination.. but we know the stage is safed long before landing.  Whatever it is really for it this application certainly confirms the existence of a short-range uplink to the rocket from the ASDS - unless it's via satellite and not to the rocket at all.  ???

Huh?  How about for the boat to control the barge and nothing to do with the rocket.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #8 on: 04/29/2015 04:24 am »
Huh?  How about for the boat to control the barge and nothing to do with the rocket.

Oh.. right.  I was only looking upwards and didn't think of that!  :-[

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #9 on: 04/29/2015 03:27 pm »
Wouldn't they be safer on a submarine ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
« Reply #10 on: 04/30/2015 07:02 am »

Oh.. right.  I was only looking upwards and didn't think of that!  :-[

Actually, in hindsight, although Jim is probably correct in his statement, that wasn't what I was specifically talking about:  The 1W transmitter on the barge is possibly for their low-data-rate video stream to the boat - not for 'control' as such, at all.
« Last Edit: 04/30/2015 07:03 am by CameronD »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: SpaceX Falcon 9 CRS-7 FCC Landing Application List
« Reply #11 on: 04/30/2015 01:47 pm »

Actually, in hindsight, although Jim is probably correct in his statement, that wasn't what I was specifically talking about:  The 1W transmitter on the barge is possibly for their low-data-rate video stream to the boat - not for 'control' as such, at all.

Why would the boat need video?  How about something simpler like just information on the status of barge systems?

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #12 on: 04/30/2015 05:20 pm »

Why would the boat need video?  How about something simpler like just information on the status of barge systems?
Well we know the barge does have live video (low frame rate).
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline cscott

« Reply #13 on: 04/30/2015 11:20 pm »

Well we know the barge does have live video (low frame rate).
Yes, but we also know that neither the ship nor the barge can transmit directly to shore, because they are over the horizon.  So low bandwidth video is via satellite, and completely unrelated to this FCC application.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography