Author Topic: Dream Chaser ALT-2 Party thread  (Read 52397 times)

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
Dream Chaser ALT-2 Party thread
« on: 10/09/2017 04:31 am »
We've gained NASA confirmation that the SNC Dream Chaser ETA vehicle recently completed a *second* Captive Carry test and is now preparing for the big milestone of the free flight Approach and Landing #2 (ALT-2) test in the second half of October!

With the Mod's permission, I think it's time we got this party started while there's still time to order your party clothes   https://spaceshirts.com/snclogoshop/T-Shirts-Products/1000003

Anyone with video skiils able to redo the 6 Million Dollar Man intro to suit rebuilding Dream Chaser?

« Last Edit: 10/09/2017 05:24 am by JAFO »
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: Dream Chaser ALT-2 Party thread
« Reply #1 on: 10/11/2017 01:57 pm »
« Last Edit: 10/11/2017 02:03 pm by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #2 on: 10/13/2017 12:04 am »
Hopefully, it will be webcasted.

Offline JazzFan

• Florida
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #3 on: 10/15/2017 01:57 am »
Any bird can have a bad day.

« Last Edit: 10/15/2017 01:28 pm by JazzFan »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #4 on: 10/16/2017 09:28 pm »
Any bird can have a bad day.

At least he found a kindred spirit...

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
« Reply #5 on: 10/16/2017 09:34 pm »
Those birds should know that the black side should be on the bottom, no wonder they crashed.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
« Reply #6 on: 10/18/2017 08:03 pm »
Ready in case they need a pilot.
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #7 on: 10/19/2017 02:47 pm »
Is he inflatable??

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #8 on: 10/19/2017 05:34 pm »
Is he inflatable??

The preferred aerospace term is expandable, not inflatable (ask Bigelow).  Just like barges with thrusters are ships (ask Musk).
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
« Reply #9 on: 10/19/2017 08:24 pm »
Is he inflatable??

Before and after pics from 12 years of long haul flying have proven it to be the case. (We serve excellent brownies in upper class, and sometimes the FAs make me eat the leftovers.)
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #10 on: 10/20/2017 03:24 pm »
Is he inflatable??

Before and after pics from 12 years of long haul flying have proven it to be the case. (We serve excellent brownies in upper class, and sometimes the FAs make me eat the leftovers.)
Duty calls... ;)
« Last Edit: 10/20/2017 03:27 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #11 on: 10/20/2017 11:19 pm »

Make sure you get plenty of practical experience in landing without engines. If anyone complains, or screams, just point out it's for science!

Offline mgeagon

• Hong Kong
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: 10/21/2017 01:18 pm »
I fly boxes. They don't complain but the catering is very dry and we can never raise any FAs over the PA.

Offline Heinrich

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #13 on: 10/21/2017 06:28 pm »
Is he inflatable??

The preferred aerospace term is expandable, not inflatable (ask Bigelow).  Just like barges with thrusters are ships (ask Musk).

Is this called a dutch pilot in the uk?

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #14 on: 10/22/2017 02:12 pm »

Make sure you get plenty of practical experience in landing without engines. If anyone complains, or screams, just point out it's for science!
Whenever I needed a check-ride I would go up with an instructor and while in the circuit on the downwind leg he would pull the power to idle and state "engine failure"... My eyes would light-up and a smile spread across my face as I made the turn towards the runway for a gentle touch down on the mains. As we taxied back to the ramp he would call me "weird" as most other pilots would be soaked in sweat after the exercise to which I would respond "No big deal, the Shuttle lands dead-stick every time" and besides I had glider experience... ;) ;D
« Last Edit: 10/22/2017 02:13 pm by Rocket Science »

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
« Reply #15 on: 10/22/2017 06:44 pm »

Whenever I needed a check-ride I would go up with an instructor and while in the circuit on the downwind leg he would pull the power to idle and state "engine failure"... My eyes would light-up and a smile spread across my face as I made the turn towards the runway for a gentle touch down on the mains. As we taxied back to the ramp he would call me "weird" as most other pilots would be soaked in sweat after the exercise to which I would respond "No big deal, the Shuttle lands dead-stick every time" and besides I had glider experience... ;) ;D

I think we'd be able to have a cuppa and talk flying for a long time. If you ever get to Sun 'n Fun PM me. :cheers:

I started off in hang gliders and learned real good habits there that I'm always surprised other pilots don't have, like flying from LZ to LZ. When I did my glider rating I was impressed by the performance of sailplanes, but bored by the lack of intimacy with the air. You can't hear thermals, smell the grass, feel the temperature changes of the air,  slow down enough to fly with most birds.

I finally quit hang gliding when the risk/reward curve went negative for me, and flying a 77 with more thrust than a Redstone rocket (my previous ride) was impressive, but truly, the only pilots I envy are the astronauts.

Now, will Joe Engle finally write a damn book? I'd love to hear his take on DC, wonder if they've invited him to see her?
« Last Edit: 10/22/2017 08:16 pm by JAFO »
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #16 on: 10/26/2017 03:14 am »

Fortunately for some, they're not allowed to do that at controlled airports over here (it freaks out the guys in the tower!) ..but I see gliding experience is being touted more often as a great thing to have if your engine really does quit on you.

Not that 'go around' would mean much to a DC pilot..  8)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #17 on: 10/26/2017 04:33 am »
I thought cargo DC was unpiloted. Why are a bunch of pilots hanging out in this party thread? OK hotshots... I'm not a pilot but who knows what I'm sitting in?
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #18 on: 10/26/2017 06:19 am »
I thought cargo DC was unpiloted. Why are a bunch of pilots hanging out in this party thread? OK hotshots... I'm not a pilot but who knows what I'm sitting in?

Umm.. an aeroplane?!?!! 8)  ;D

Well, you DID ask.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
« Reply #19 on: 10/26/2017 07:03 am »

I thought cargo DC was unpiloted. Why are a bunch of pilots hanging out in this party thread?
Because..... I have a DREAM!!!!! (With the greatest Respect to Dr. King)

That even though SNC is facing the pressure of a successful ALT-2 flight test and we are waiting patiently for the words “Wheels stop”, I still have a dream. It is a dream of winged spaceflight.
I have a dream that one day we will not be rescued from outer space, but will fulfill Dale Reed's dream of flying back in style.
I have a dream, that one day we will undo the decision of HR Halderman, who asked Bill Anders which shuttle would bring the most jobs to California, and thus picked a large shuttle instead of the small one Anders advocated.
I have a dream, that one day the skies over Edwards will once again echo with a double sonic boom announcing the arrival of a Dream Chaser cargo spacecraft.

And I have a dream, that one day someone will realize how valuable a manned Dream Chaser is, and they will approve funding.

OK hotshots... I'm not a pilot but who knows what I'm sitting in?

747-400
« Last Edit: 10/26/2017 07:43 am by JAFO »
— Ernest K. Gann

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography