Author Topic: Orbital's Antares A-One Processing Flow Updates  (Read 110347 times)

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
Re: LIVE: Orbital's Antares A-One Processing Flow Updates
« Reply #240 on: 04/16/2013 06:24 pm »
Talk of Antares doing some DoD launches.

Also talking of possible launches from Fla.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 06:27 pm by Prober »
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 13605
« Reply #241 on: 04/16/2013 06:42 pm »
*2 American LV's.... let's not forget Soyuz, Ariane, HII :)

Well this thread is (indirectly) about the COTS programme, so I was focusing on that. I also think it will be much easier to get a ride on a Spacex or Antares flight for US govt funded payloads than Soyuz, Ariane or HII.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
« Reply #242 on: 04/16/2013 06:52 pm »
One-and-a-half.

- Ed Kyle

Hmm. Well lets agree that it's good to see it finally getting close to 1st launch.  :) 

Their design philosophy is probably best addressed on another thread. I'm just so pleased we will actually be seeing the beginnings of actual competition in ISS resupply.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #243 on: 04/16/2013 06:56 pm »
Frank Culbertson mentioned that Cygnus is a very capable spacecraft which could also be used for BLEO purposes (cargo or other purposes).
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 07:01 pm by yg1968 »

Offline yg1968

« Reply #244 on: 04/16/2013 06:58 pm »
http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/commercial/cargo/orbitalsciences-index.html

In advance of the launch, NASA will host a media briefing to discuss the Wallops Flight Facility, Orbital's activities under NASA's commercial space initiatives, and the new Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport Pad-0A. It will begin at 2 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, at the Wallops Visitors Center. At 3 p.m., NASA will host a prelaunch news conference about the test launch and mission. Both briefings will be carried live on NASA TV and the agency's website.

Second press conference is about to start.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 07:00 pm by yg1968 »

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 07:50 pm by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #246 on: 04/16/2013 08:04 pm »
NASA News Briefing Regarding the Mission of the Wallops Flight Facility
http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8205

NASA New Conference - Orbital Sciences’ Antares Test Flight Launch Update
http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8206

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #247 on: 04/16/2013 09:15 pm »
Is there a range hazard area available for this mission yet?

Closing the loop:

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/wallops/pdf/740352main_PAO%20NOTMAR%20ANTARES.PDF

And, no, this doesn't impact me, as I suspected it wouldn't.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #248 on: 04/16/2013 09:17 pm »
During the second press conference, someone asked when CRS ends. Frank Culbertson said 2016. Alan Lindenmoyer had said 2015 earlier in the press conference.

Someone asked when CRS2 would happen and if new entrants would be allowed. Alan Lindenmoyer said that he didn't know. 

Someone asked if they had any plans for a heat shield for cygnus. Culbertson that they had some ideas if NASA decided it wanted this capability but that for now NASA hasn't ask them for it.

Someone also asked if Cygnus could be used as a future habitat module. Culbertson said that it could but they would need more protection for radiation and they would have to have a contract from NASA to do this work.
« Last Edit: 04/16/2013 09:29 pm by yg1968 »

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #249 on: 04/16/2013 09:34 pm »
Antonioe,
Can you tell us if there will be any rocket-cam and/or Orbital web-cast of this launch?

NASA will Web-cast the launch.  Yes, we have a couple of cameras on the rocket, but they are aimed at points of engineering interest (the inside of the fairing, with suitable lighting) not fancy outside views... sorry...

We have no control of what video the NASA producers will select for the webcast.  We do have a camera on the water tower, and all video is, of course, recorded, so I hope that, in time, we will be able to show these shots.

Dr. Elias,
Do you know if the launch commentary will be available via radio, and if so, do you know what frequency we can tune to?

Thanks very much,
David
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #250 on: 04/17/2013 12:55 am »
Chris, should this be switching to a live Launch Day thread now?

I note the mission timeline viewgraph at the briefing shows a launch azimuth of 107.8 deg. But the actual hazard area seems to be more like an azimuth of 124 deg, and it needs to turn to an azimuth of 134 deg or so to reach the target inclination.

Otherwise the info in the briefing is very nice.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #251 on: 04/17/2013 01:07 am »

Dr. Elias,
Do you know if the launch commentary will be available via radio, and if so, do you know what frequency we can tune to?

Thanks very much,
David

AFAIK no, I'm sorry...
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline block51

• Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #252 on: 04/17/2013 02:16 am »

AFAIK no, I'm sorry...

Best you can probably do is listen to wallops plot on marine radio channel 12 with channel 22 as a backup. On recovered missions they talk to the survalence and recovery boats on this channel and they tend to keep them fairly well updated.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #253 on: 04/17/2013 03:25 am »
Ok boys and girls, the live launch day thread has finally come for this new vehicle:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31663.0

I'll keep this thread open for a while longer, but if there's a clear update (especially from Orbital), post in the above thread.
« Last Edit: 04/17/2013 03:37 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline beancounter

• Perth, Western Australia
  • Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #254 on: 04/17/2013 04:35 am »
One-and-a-half.

- Ed Kyle

Hmm. Well lets agree that it's good to see it finally getting close to 1st launch.  :) 

Their design philosophy is probably best addressed on another thread. I'm just so pleased we will actually be seeing the beginnings of actual competition in ISS resupply.

Why do you think this is a competition?  There were two contracts available.  Each company got one.  Competition over for the  time being.
Beancounter from DownUnder

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
« Reply #255 on: 04/17/2013 06:54 am »
Why do you think this is a competition?  There were two contracts available.  Each company got one.  Competition over for the  time being.

That is why I referred to it as the beginnings of competition.

When the next round of delivery contracts is awarded there will be an actual record of performance against contract to judge providers against. Hence my excitement at this launch.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight