Author Topic: Progress M-06M launch and docking - June 30 - July 2, 2010  (Read 80838 times)

Offline jan_carlo_bascu

• Santiago, Chile
    • juancarlosbascu Youtube Channel
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Progress M-06M launch and docking - June 30 - July 2, 2010
« Reply #60 on: 07/02/2010 05:30 pm »
Progress is in safe distance of about 3 km.
Docking cancelled for today

EDIT: another picture from ISS, Progress flying "near" the complex
« Last Edit: 07/02/2010 05:34 pm by jan_carlo_bascu »

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #61 on: 07/02/2010 05:34 pm »
Progress is in safe distance of about 3 km.
Docking cancelled for today

EDIT: another picture from ISS, Progress flying near the complex

Called off for today.

Offline aquarius

« Reply #62 on: 07/02/2010 05:37 pm »
When was the last time that happened?

According to Wikipedia, the last time a Progress docking was aborted was in August 1994 (that was to Mir).

Online Chris Bergin

According to Wikipedia, the last time a Progress docking was aborted was in August 1994 (that was to Mir).

Thanks.

"Nice" to get to see a contingency put into work. Good training.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jan_carlo_bascu

• Santiago, Chile
« Reply #64 on: 07/02/2010 05:42 pm »

but the other abort was the collision to Mir in 1997, this event was a abort or just a fail during docking?

Offline jan_carlo_bascu

• Santiago, Chile
« Reply #65 on: 07/02/2010 05:43 pm »
two more views from ISS

Offline aquarius

« Reply #66 on: 07/02/2010 05:46 pm »
 First of all that was a re-docking attempt and secondly I don't think it counts as an abort anyway.

Offline jan_carlo_bascu

• Santiago, Chile
« Reply #67 on: 07/02/2010 05:47 pm »
Progress M-06M

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #68 on: 07/02/2010 05:48 pm »
Sorry, that's the moon, not Progress.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 727
« Reply #69 on: 07/02/2010 05:48 pm »

but the other abort was the collision to Mir in 1997, this event was a abort or just a fail during docking?

There are different flavors of aborts for a Progress docking, depending on the situation. For example, if there is a problem with, say, Progress telemetry, a docking attempt may be halted at a great distance from ISS, or even a day before the planned docking. The "halt" would be accomplished via a command from TsUP.

Once Progress is under control by Kurs, a docking may be aborted simply by turning off Kurs, which can be accomplished by TsUP or the ISS crew.

Lastly, if Progress is under control by TORU, the abort is generated by the ISS crew.

At 3 km distance from ISS, Progress is under control of Kurs, and I suspect that TsUP commanded the abort.

Lastly, AFAIK, Progress does not have to be over a Russian ground station for TsUP to control Progress during dockings, the Russian segment can communicate with TsUP via TDRS.

Offline jan_carlo_bascu

• Santiago, Chile
« Reply #70 on: 07/02/2010 05:51 pm »

I don't think so, is not a good view because was during a zoom, if I am wrong, plis forgive me

Offline lcs

• Liked: 57
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #71 on: 07/02/2010 05:52 pm »
No, it was the moon.  When the iris closed down just before the end of the shot you could see it was the quarter moon.  They haven't found the Progress with the cameras yet. 

Online Chris Bergin

I don't think so, is not a good view because was during a zoom, if I am wrong, plis forgive me

You're doing very well. I can't get any decent screenshots (VLC fails with the NASA stream lately). We can work out what is what as we go along. Good work!
« Last Edit: 07/02/2010 05:53 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 673
  • Likes Given: 135
« Reply #73 on: 07/02/2010 06:44 pm »
Lastly, AFAIK, Progress does not have to be over a Russian ground station for TsUP to control Progress during dockings, the Russian segment can communicate with TsUP via TDRS.

I don't think so. I think that TDRS allows only voice transmission for Russian Segment, and that they have to fly over RGS to send telemetry.
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #74 on: 07/02/2010 07:01 pm »
Resupply Craft Docking Aborted

Mission controllers will not re-attempt to dock the ISS Progress 38 resupply ship to the International Space Station today. The station is being reconfigured for normal operations. The flight control team is in the early stages of diagnosing what may have caused the aborted docking with the space station.

Future docking opportunities are being evaluated. The Progress vehicle is in a safe configuration well away from the space station. The crew was never in any danger.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/main/index.html

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 702
  • Likes Given: 727
« Reply #75 on: 07/02/2010 07:50 pm »

I don't think so. I think that TDRS allows only voice transmission for Russian Segment, and that they have to fly over RGS to send telemetry.

AFAIK, there was a mod to the Russian segment/USOS to provide for TsUP command/control of Progress, apparently happened within the last 2 years. This allows for dockings away from Russian ground stations, which previously had been a program constraint.

I noticed such dockings in the last year, and someone here informed me in a post of the mod.

Offline JimO

• Veteran
  • Texas, USA
  • Liked: 482
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #76 on: 07/02/2010 08:36 pm »
I'm trying to reconstruct the relative motion of this abort and some things are bothering me.

TsUP-M says the abort was declared at a range of 2 km, which is short of the 'stop' point where the vehicle then makes a constant-range fly-around to align with the docking port approach vector.

Press reports also state that the crew tried to engage TORU but were unable to achieve control -- the vehicle never acknowledged their commands.

I seem to recall that the automated approach emergency modes included stopping the approach and initiating a backaway if no commands are received.

But from the TORU screen it looks like the vehicle had a 7-9 m/sec approach rate and never nulled it -- kept right on going in, missing the station -- but by how much?

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #77 on: 07/02/2010 08:45 pm »
But from the TORU screen it looks like the vehicle had a 7-9 m/sec approach rate and never nulled it -- kept right on going in, missing the station -- but by how much?

According to the same screen, 2.777 km.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #78 on: 07/02/2010 08:49 pm »

I agree JimO--the fact the vehicle continued on past the station is a bit unnerving.  I'm not declaring "It almost crashed!", but this does seem like a very interesting event.
Now if the vehicle is splashed, or worse, doesn't dock with no further info, then we can begin to really wonder...

I'm trying to reconstruct the relative motion of this abort and some things are bothering me.

TsUP-M says the abort was declared at a range of 2 km, which is short of the 'stop' point where the vehicle then makes a constant-range fly-around to align with the docking port approach vector.

Press reports also state that the crew tried to engage TORU but were unable to achieve control -- the vehicle never acknowledged their commands.

I seem to recall that the automated approach emergency modes included stopping the approach and initiating a backaway if no commands are received.

Offline landofgrey

• Recovering rocket scientist, currently media
  • Living the dream in Cape Canaveral
  • KSC / CCAFS / Melbourne, FL
    • ARES Institute, Inc.
« Reply #79 on: 07/02/2010 09:01 pm »
Progress will automatically set itself on an evasive course from ISS if the docking aborts. In this case it flew past the station, at a safe distance, and put itself in a contingency orbit with a slight opening rate relative the station. The fact that the Progress didn't stop itself dead in its tracks and back away (a' la ATV) doesn't mean there was ever a danger of a collision or that the craft was "out of control". It always knew where it was in space. The evasive maneuver's trajectory depends on a number of factors and it takes a lot less propellant to divert the "forward" trajectory and fly past the station that it does to stop completely (relative) and spend more propellant backing away. If too much propellant gets used up in such a situation, then Progress could end up fish food.

But a very interesting day.
Twitter: @spacearium; YouTube: spacearium

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography