Author Topic: Ronpur's Space Models  (Read 70773 times)

Online DaveJ576

• Norfolk, VA
    • Pigboats.com
  • Liked: 115
  • Likes Given: 640
Re: Ronpur's Space Models
« Reply #120 on: 03/13/2018 11:52 am »
I read some of these books as a little kid. So, when I have an extra Mercury Redstone, and some spare time. I rebuilt it as the rocket from the book.  Project Quicksilver Mercury Redstone. When Horizon Models came out with their very nice Mercury Redstone, I still had my old Dragon Models Mercury Redstone. I decided to convert it to rocket Mike Mars flew in the old book series I read as a child. I just repainted it and used extra decals from my Horizon kits. I used one of the Horizon spacecraft and painted it orange as they were described in the book. It was a fun and quick project.

I have the entire series. I read them as a kid, then found all the books together in a set in an antique store. They are a bit silly when looked at from an adult perspective, but I had fun reading them again.
"We have a pitch and a roll program and man this baby is really going!"

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #121 on: 03/13/2018 11:39 pm »
They sure felt more exciting when I read them as a child.

Online mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #122 on: 03/14/2018 02:20 am »
I'm a little embarrassed to say I don't remember those books at all.  Although I was really hooked on Tom Corbett Space Cadet and Tom Swift Junior.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #123 on: 04/26/2018 06:00 pm »
I have been building some models for 2001 A Space Odyssey lately.  Moebius Models has released a kit of the USS Discovery.  I added lights and have a pod that can be removed from the pod bay doors.  I also have built a couple of Orion spacecraft.  A booster and cargo version. And then made some pictures of them in space!

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #124 on: 04/26/2018 06:02 pm »
The Orions with some construction photos.  One of the Orions is from United Air Lines
« Last Edit: 04/26/2018 06:09 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #125 on: 04/26/2018 06:04 pm »
Orion Launch and photos in orbit

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #126 on: 04/26/2018 06:07 pm »
From the Discovery mission, leaving Earth, in deep space and arriving at Jupiter

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
« Reply #127 on: 04/27/2018 03:00 am »
The orion flyback booster is mentioned in the book but not the movie. The the model makers come up with the idea themselves or was there one made for the movie that did not make it into the final cut?
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
« Reply #128 on: 04/27/2018 04:08 am »
Ron have you seen this website? https://www.scifiairshow.com/
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #129 on: 04/27/2018 11:59 am »
The orion flyback booster is mentioned in the book but not the movie. The the model makers come up with the idea themselves or was there one made for the movie that did not make it into the final cut?

There was this sketch made for an ad.

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #130 on: 04/27/2018 12:04 pm »
Ron have you seen this website? https://www.scifiairshow.com/

Yes, I love it!

Offline webdan

• Clearwater, FL
  • Liked: 252
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #131 on: 04/27/2018 12:39 pm »
Oh I like this too, thanks JAFO!

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 900
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #132 on: 04/28/2018 09:03 pm »
Ronpur50 wrote:
I read some of these books as a little kid. So, when I have an extra Mercury Redstone, and some spare time. I rebuilt it as the rocket from the book. Project Quicksilver Mercury Redstone. When Horizon Models came out with their very nice Mercury Redstone, I still had my old Dragon Models Mercury Redstone. I decided to convert it to rocket Mike Mars flew in the old book series I read as a child. I just repainted it and used extra decals from my Horizon kits. I used one of the Horizon spacecraft and painted it orange as they were described in the book. It was a fun and quick project.

"...And Mars My Destination!" Yep, spent many a childhood day reading the couple of books our local library had (first three I think) and trying to figure out how emulate "Mike's" use of acronyms :) (his actual name for those not in the 'know' was Michael Alfred Robert Sampson hence "Mike MARS") but no matter how hard I tried "wreck" was the phonetic which was not conducive to a career as a pilot, astronaut or frankly even driving a car but... :)

Oddly enough I've AH notes for an idea where the "Mercury Mk-II" program is called "Quicksilver"... Wonder where I got that idea from :)

Dalhousie wrote:
The orion flyback booster is mentioned in the book but not the movie. The model makers come up with the idea themselves or was there one made for the movie that did not make it into the final cut?

There is a model of another spaceplane seen briefly in the film and generally accepted as the "Titov-V" but there were suggestions it might have been a model of the Orion booster. I suspect not due to the size, (it's the same size as the Orion-III)
(Sorry for the link-length but I can't reach the actual site atm)
https://www.google.com/search?q=Titov-V+Spaceplane&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinm7Tl69raAhVSVd8KHX_nB-wQsAQILQ&biw=1280&bih=904

Whereas the Orion was two stage system with catapult launch assist the Titov was supposed to be a 'trimese' system of three similar spaceplanes all launched together.

This article from 2016 showed both the ad and a pre-production art picture of the booster:
https://www.space.com/32258-orion-space-plane-2001-space-odyssey-photo-essay.html

The fan-cannon for the Orion nomenclature is that the Booster is the Orion-1, the 'cargo' version is the Orion-II and the passenger version the Orion-III.

The booster I've seen most often, (since initially the ad and pre-production art were not well known) was basically a 'super-size' but 'inverted' (wing on top to mate with wing on Oribiter) Orion you can see in cardboard here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Orion+III+Booster+Model&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia9ZKf69raAhVFneAKHWzMBdgQsAQIJg&biw=1280&bih=904#imgrc=_

It was also modeled in Orbiter though it runway launches not a catapult per the book.
Speaking of, I have no idea what Kubrick and the model designer had against "tails" but both models in the movie lack them and apparently so did all the concepts.

An interesting 'take' on how you launch an Orion-III using an Ariane-V as a booster:
http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=42468

It actually helps 'answer' the annoying question of where the propellant to get into orbit is on that thing. (In this case we 'assume' the upper-stage is actually an expendable external tank that feeds the Orion-III and we'll just ignore the obvious C/G issues :) ) Other suggestions were ETs mounted between the booster and orbiter, and under or over the wings.

Another interesting one I found, (but while I can see the pics in a general search the site doesn't' have them) is the concept the Orion is an evolution of the STS starting with this "Orion-1" Orbiter:
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/99-science-fiction-modeling/222210-pan-am-space-clipper-orion-thread-9.html

Should see some pics in the search. It is basically an Orion spaceplane with the aft end replaced by a similar scale shuttle engine and tail assembly:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1280&bih=904&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=NE7jWoWGBsO7gge6_ZrIBg&q=STS+Based+Orion+Spaceplane+Clipper&oq=STS+Based+Orion+Spaceplane+Clipper&gs_l=psy-ab.3...605667.617969.0.618318.34.33.0.0.0.0.255.4229.0j21j6.27.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..7.7.1039...0j0i67k1j0i13k1j0i24k1.0.AMzFhnb66i8

And interesting point is that the engine nozzles are 'scarfed' which was an actual feature for 'streamlining' and minimizing high expansion nozzles. Those big bells cause a huge amount of drag as NASA discovered when they removed the fairing from Enterprise during the A&L tests.

I'll end with my favorite "alt-history" test program picture showing the Orion A&L tests:
https://robcaswell.deviantart.com/art/Separation-Anxiety-205050780

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #133 on: 04/28/2018 10:34 pm »
I think most have assumed the model of the Titov that was seen at the space station desk is the Soviet shuttle.  There was a kit made not to long ago, in Aeroflot markings.  Remember the Soviets that Floyd encounters on the space station had Aeroflot bags.

I have seen the idea for the larger booster with inverted wings, and would like to do that some day.

The ALT version is a new one for me...and it gives me some ideas!!

I almost have my cargo Orion II built.  Just working on a payload now.

The plane with the shuttle rear is based on the Airfix kit, which a little bulkier than the Moebius kit.  And I have two of those, and old shuttles, so it is on my huge to do list as well!!  LOL

I found out that the pre-production art is actually modern, but based on the ad mock up by Karl Tate who wrote the article you linked.  It looks like the ad was never used, since it is a mock up, the printing is reversed and repeated. 

The Ariane launcher could have been used for early testing in my mind.
« Last Edit: 04/28/2018 10:36 pm by Ronpur50 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #134 on: 04/28/2018 10:38 pm »
This site talks a lot about the Titov...and all the spacecraft in 2001.  I use it a lot.

https://www.planet3earth.co.uk/ilyushin%20titov.htm

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #135 on: 05/09/2018 12:04 am »
Back to "real space" now.  Apollo 8: First to the Moon. Basically finish with my newest spacecraft model, 1/48 from Dragon Models. Moving on from Gemini, I have now built Apollo 8 Command and Service Module (CSM). It is slightly different from the other CSMs in that it had no docking probe or ring because there was no Lunar Module. I tried to do some weathering to show the harsh conditions of space by showing bubbling of the paint from the thrusters and intense sunlight. I based this off of photos of later flight that had close up photos of the spacecraft during EVA.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #136 on: 05/09/2018 08:53 pm »
Hi Ron,
your weathering effect looks absolutely realistic.

« Last Edit: 05/09/2018 08:55 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #137 on: 05/09/2018 09:52 pm »
Thanks!  Making paint peel goes against everything I ever learned about building models!  LOL

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #138 on: 07/13/2018 10:14 pm »
Did some rework on my Saturn V models.  I added some details and fixed the S-II stages on them.  There was a strip across the upper stringers that needed added.  I also added the insulation seams to the S-II for Apollo 8.
I have updated 500F, Apollo 8, Apollo 17 and Skylab.

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #139 on: 07/13/2018 11:09 pm »
Hi Ron,
a really awesome collection.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction: