Author Topic: NASA - MAVEN - updates  (Read 59051 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
Re: NASA - MAVEN - updates
« Reply #40 on: 09/10/2014 10:52 pm »
MAVEN's Journey to Mars

Published on Sep 10, 2014
MAVEN has been under development since 2003, including concept development, formulation, and formal development for flight. The original proposal was submitted to NASA in 2006 and MAVEN was selected to move forward with production in 2008.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3363
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #41 on: 09/11/2014 07:15 pm »
MAVEN Status Update: Thursday, September 11, 2014

At 8 pm EDT today, MAVEN will be at a distance of 212,637,115 km (132,126,577 miles) from Earth with an Earth-centered velocity of 28.89 km/s (17.95 mi/s or 64,620 mph) and a Sun-centered velocity of 22.39 km/s (13.91 mi/s or 50,076 mph).

We are now just 10 days from Mars Orbit Insertion (MOI) on September 21st!

Having traveled a total of 691,583,730 km (429,730,207 mi) in its heliocentric transfer orbit, the MAVEN spacecraft has now covered ~97% of its total journey from Earth to ‪#‎Mars‬.

The spacecraft is currently at a distance of 2,794,368 km (1,736,339 mi) from Mars, and 214,697,543 km (133,406,868 mi) from the Sun. One-way light time to the ‪#‎MAVEN‬ spacecraft from Earth is 11 minutes and 49 seconds.

The spacecraft Trajectory Correction Maneuver (TCM-4), scheduled for Friday, September 12th was determined to be unnecessary and was therefore cancelled. All navigation solutions continue to produce trajectory arrival predictions that ensure a successful transition to MAVEN's required science orbit.

(Image credit: Tom Mason/CU-LASP)
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #42 on: 09/13/2014 10:08 am »

September 12, 2014

NASA to hold Sept. 17 Briefing on MAVEN Mars Orbit Insertion, Events Coverage

NASA will host a televised media briefing at 1 p.m. EDT, Wednesday, Sept. 17, to outline activities around the Sunday, Sept. 21 orbital insertion at Mars of the agency’s Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft. The briefing will be held in NASA’s Headquarters’ auditorium, 300 E Street SW in Washington, and broadcast live on NASA Television and the agency’s website.

MAVEN is the first spacecraft dedicated to exploring the upper atmosphere of Mars. The mission’s goal is to determine how the loss of atmospheric gas to space played a role in changing the Martian climate through time.

Panelists include:
-- Lisa May, lead program executive, Mars Exploration Program, NASA Headquarters, Washington
--Bruce Jakosky, MAVEN principal investigator, Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, University of Colorado, Boulder
--David Mitchell, MAVEN project manager, NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland
-- Guy Beutelschies, Lockheed Martin MAVEN program manager, Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company, Littleton, Colorado

Media can ask questions from participating NASA locations, or by telephone. To participate by phone, reporters must contact Dwayne Brown at 202-358-1726 or [email protected] and provide their media affiliation by noon Wednesday. The public also may ask questions on social media using the hashtag #askNASA.

NASA Television Orbit Insertion Coverage

NASA Television coverage of the MAVEN orbit insertion begins at 9:30 p.m. EDT and concludes at 10:45 p.m. on Sept. 21. The orbital insertion is targeted to begin at 9:37 p.m. The program will be carried on NTV-1 (Public) and NTV-2 (Education). A clean feed for media will be carried on NTV-3 (Media Channel). The media feed will contain views of the MAVEN Mission Support Area only, without graphics or interviews.

A post-orbit insertion news conference is targeted for about two hours after orbital insertion.

For NASA Television downlink information, scheduling information and streaming video, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

Media Accreditation

Media are invited to attend the orbit insertion event Sept 21 at Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Littleton, Colorado. Attending media must be U.S. citizens and bring government-issued photo identification. For accreditation, contact Gary Napier, 303-971-4012, [email protected] by 5 p.m. MDT Thursday, Sept. 18.

Social Media

Members of the public are invited to follow the day-long NASA Social event on Sept. 21 by following the hashtags #MAVEN and #JourneytoMars on social media channels such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and others. Twitter postings throughout the day will come from official accounts @NASA, @MAVEN2Mars and @NASASocial.

MAVEN's principal investigator is based at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at University of Colorado, Boulder. The university provided two science instruments and leads science operations and education and public outreach for the mission.

Goddard manages the project and provided two of the science instruments for the mission. Lockheed Martin built the spacecraft and is responsible for mission operations. The University of California at Berkeley's Space Sciences Laboratory provided four science instruments for the mission. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California provides navigation support, Deep Space Network support, and Electra telecommunications relay hardware and operations.

For more about the MAVEN mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/maven
Jacques :-)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3363
  • Likes Given: 1138
« Reply #43 on: 09/15/2014 09:13 pm »
Mars Atmosphere and Volatile EvolutioN Mission

MAVEN Status Update: Sept. 15, 2014

from David F. Mitchell, MAVEN Project Manager at NASA Goddard:

Everything continues to go well with MAVEN as it is readied for arrival at Mars on Sunday, September 21st. All spacecraft systems are operating nominally. We had scheduled a final Trajectory Correction Maneuver (TCM-4) for September 12th. However, the maneuver was cancelled because the flight path did not warrant a correction. MAVEN is right on track.

In the next few days the Mars Orbit Insertion (MOI) sequence will commence on the spacecraft. Most commands will be performed autonomously (without the need for commanding from Earth). However, there are two ground command opportunities still available to alter the spacecraft’s flight path, if necessary, in order to raise altitude for its first pass at Mars. These altitude raise decisions will be made by the Project at approximately 24 hours and 6 hours prior to MOI, in close coordination with the Navigation team and the Navigation Advisory Group. Right now we don’t expect to need an additional maneuver because of how well the spacecraft is flying.

On Sunday evening, MAVEN will slew (turn) to point the main engines in the direction of travel and fire for about 33 minutes in order to slow down the spacecraft enough to “capture” into Mars orbit. Although we have direct line of sight of MAVEN during the entire burn sequence, the observed data back on Earth will actually be viewed 12 minutes after the events occur because of the distance between Earth and Mars.

For more details, check out this MAVEN MOI video, “Targeting Mars:”

As we approach the last few days before arriving at Mars, the following are public affairs events that you may be interested in tuning in for:

- Pre-MOI Press Conference at NASA Headquarters: September 17th at 1:00 p.m. EDT.
- Live Television Coverage of the MOI Event: September 21st from 9:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m. EDT.
- Post-MOI Press Conference at Lockheed Martin-Denver: September 21st, approximately 2 hours after MOI.

All of these events can be watched through NASA TV on your cable/satellite system or online at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv.

As of September 15th, the MAVEN spacecraft is 216 million kilometers (134 million miles) from Earth and 2 million kilometers (1.2 million miles) from Mars. From that distance, Mars as seen by MAVEN is the same size as a baseball as seen from 73 feet. Its velocity is 22.43 kilometers per second (50,174 miles per hour) as it moves around the Sun.
« Last Edit: 09/15/2014 09:14 pm by Targeteer »
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline John44

• Elite Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • space-multimedia
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #44 on: 09/17/2014 06:11 pm »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #45 on: 09/17/2014 07:46 pm »
NASA | Investigating the Martian Atmosphere

Published on Sep 17, 2014
NASA Goddard
The Martian surface bears ample evidence of flowing water in its youth, from crater lakes and riverbeds to minerals that only form in water. But today Mars is cold and dry, and scientists think that the loss of Mars' water may have been caused by the loss of its early atmosphere. NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volaile EvolutioN mission, or MAVEN, will be the first spacecraft devoted to studying the Red Planet's atmosphere, in an effort to understand how the Martian climate has changed over time.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #46 on: 09/18/2014 12:12 am »
NASA Mars Spacecraft Ready for Sept. 21 Orbit Insertion

September 17, 2014

NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft is nearing its scheduled Sept. 21 insertion into Martian orbit after completing a 10-month interplanetary journey of 442 million miles (711 million kilometers).

Flight Controllers at Lockheed Martin Space Systems in Littleton, Colorado, will be responsible for the health and safety of the spacecraft throughout the process. The spacecraft's mission timeline will place the spacecraft in orbit at approximately 6:50 p.m. PDT (9:50 p.m. EDT).

"So far, so good with the performance of the spacecraft and payloads on the cruise to Mars," said David Mitchell, MAVEN project manager at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland. "The team, the flight system, and all ground assets are ready for Mars orbit insertion."

The orbit-insertion maneuver will begin with the brief firing of six small thruster engines to steady the spacecraft. The engines will ignite and burn for 33 minutes to slow the craft, allowing it to be pulled into an elliptical orbit with a period of 35 hours.

Following orbit insertion, MAVEN will begin a six-week commissioning phase that includes maneuvering the spacecraft into its final orbit and testing its instruments and science-mapping commands. Thereafter, MAVEN will begin its one-Earth-year primary mission to take measurements of the composition, structure and escape of gases in Mars' upper atmosphere and its interaction with the sun and solar wind.

"The MAVEN science mission focuses on answering questions about where did the water that was present on early Mars go, about where did the carbon dioxide go," said Bruce Jakosky, MAVEN principal investigator from the University of Colorado, Boulder's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics. "These are important questions for understanding the history of Mars, its climate, and its potential to support at least microbial life."

MAVEN launched Nov. 18, 2013, from Cape Canaveral, Florida, carrying three instrument packages. It is the first spacecraft dedicated to exploring the upper atmosphere of Mars. The mission's combination of detailed measurements at specific points in Mars' atmosphere and global imaging provides a powerful tool for understanding the properties of the Red Planet's upper atmosphere.

"MAVEN is another NASA robotic scientific explorer that is paving the way for our journey to Mars," said Jim Green, director of the Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington. "Together, robotics and humans will pioneer the Red Planet and the solar system to help answer some of humanity's fundamental questions about life beyond Earth."

The spacecraft's principal investigator is based at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at University of Colorado, Boulder. The university provided two science instruments and leads science operations, as well as education and public outreach, for the mission.

NASA Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, manages the project and also provided two science instruments for the mission. Lockheed Martin built the spacecraft and is responsible for mission operations. The Space Sciences Laboratory at the University of California at Berkeley provided four science instruments for MAVEN. NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California, provides navigation and Deep Space Network support, and Electra telecommunications relay hardware and operations. JPL manages the Mars Exploration Program for NASA.

To learn more about the MAVEN mission, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/maven and http://mars.nasa.gov/maven/

Photo Credit JPL: NASA's MAVEN spacecraft NASA's MAVEN spacecraft is quickly approaching Mars on a mission to study its upper atmosphere. When it arrives on September 21, 2014, MAVEN's winding journey from Earth will culminate with a dramatic engine burn, pulling the spacecraft into an elliptical orbit.

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #47 on: 09/19/2014 08:45 pm »
Here are the timelines for MAVEN and MOM Mars insertion. I'm a little thrown off by the times listed. I'll have to convert to my own (eastern) time zone.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #48 on: 09/21/2014 03:38 pm »
So I think we'll have a new specific thread for insertion, given NASA TV is going to do some coverage. We'll keep this thread active for general updates.

Linkage shortly.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #49 on: 09/21/2014 05:29 pm »
Here are the timelines for MAVEN and MOM Mars insertion. I'm a little thrown off by the times listed. I'll have to convert to my own (eastern) time zone.
The PDT times weren't converted correctly; it's UTC-7, but all of the ones in that table are UTC-6.

Offline deadshot462

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #50 on: 09/22/2014 01:29 am »
Hello, I'm new to the forums but would like to contribute a live blog of this event by the Planetary Society:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/4466798/events/3312247

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #52 on: 09/22/2014 10:52 am »

Offline catdlr

« Reply #53 on: 10/11/2014 01:34 am »
NASA Shares Early Results From MAVEN Mars Orbiter

NASA will host a news teleconference at 11 a.m. PDT (2 p.m. EDT) Tuesday, Oct. 14, to announce early science results from its Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) mission.

Launched in November 2013, the spacecraft entered orbit around Mars on Sept. 21, completing an interplanetary journey of 10 months and 442 million miles (711 million kilometers). MAVEN is the first spacecraft devoted to exploring and understanding the Martian upper atmosphere to help scientists understand climate change over the Red Planet's history.

The teleconference participants are:

-- Elsayed Talaat, MAVEN program scientist at NASA Headquarters in Washington

-- Bruce Jakosky, MAVEN principal investigator at the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado, Boulder (CU-Boulder)

-- Mike Chaffin, Remote Sensing Team member at CU-Boulder

-- Justin Deighan, Remote Sensing Team member at CU-Boulder

-- Davin Larson, Solar Energetic Particles instrument lead at the University of California, Berkeley

For dial-in information, media should email their name, affiliation and telephone number to Dwayne Brown at [email protected].

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live at:

http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

Visuals will be posted at the start of the event at:

source:  http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4333
« Last Edit: 10/11/2014 01:35 am by catdlr »

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #54 on: 11/21/2014 05:25 pm »
Here’s NASA’s Nov. 20 statement:

MAVEN went into safehold mode on Wednesday, Nov. 19. The spacecraft goes into this state autonomously, when it detects a problem with its operations, to ensure that it stays safe and in contact with Earth. Safehold was triggered by a timing conflict between commands. This is part of learning how to operate the spacecraft in a new environment, as this is the first time the spacecraft has been in its full science-operations scenario. The instruments have all been turned off and are safe, the spacecraft is healthy and in high-data-rate contact with Earth. The spacecraft operations team is currently developing the schedule to return MAVEN to science operations.

http://www.spacenews.com/article/civil-space/42612glitch-sends-latest-nasa-mars-orbiter-into-safe-mode

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #55 on: 03/18/2015 03:58 pm »
March 18, 2015

NASA Spacecraft Detects Aurora and Mysterious Dust Cloud around Mars

NASA's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) spacecraft has observed two unexpected phenomena in the Martian atmosphere: an unexplained high-altitude dust cloud and aurora that reaches deep into the Martian atmosphere.

The presence of the dust at orbital altitudes from about 93 miles (150 kilometers) to 190 miles (300 kilometers) above the surface was not predicted. Although the source and composition of the dust are unknown, there is no hazard to MAVEN and other spacecraft orbiting Mars.

"If the dust originates from the atmosphere, this suggests we are missing some fundamental process in the Martian atmosphere," said Laila Andersson of the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospherics and Space Physics (CU LASP), Boulder, Colorado.

The cloud was detected by the spacecraft’s Langmuir Probe and Waves (LPW) instrument, and has been present the whole time MAVEN has been in operation. It is unknown if the cloud is a temporary phenomenon or something long lasting. The cloud density is greatest at lower altitudes. However, even in the densest areas it is still very thin. So far, no indication of its presence has been seen in observations from any of the other MAVEN instruments.

Possible sources for the observed dust include dust wafted up from the atmosphere; dust coming from Phobos and Deimos, the two moons of Mars; dust moving in the solar wind away from the sun; or debris orbiting the sun from comets. However, no known process on Mars can explain the appearance of dust in the observed locations from any of these sources.

MAVEN's Imaging Ultraviolet Spectrograph (IUVS) observed what scientists have named "Christmas lights." For five days just before Dec. 25, MAVEN saw a bright ultraviolet auroral glow spanning Mars' northern hemisphere. Aurora, known on Earth as northern or southern lights, are caused by energetic particles like electrons crashing down into the atmosphere and causing the gas to glow.

"What's especially surprising about the aurora we saw is how deep in the atmosphere it occurs - much deeper than at Earth or elsewhere on Mars,” said Arnaud Stiepen, IUVS team member at the University of Colorado. “The electrons producing it must be really energetic."

The source of the energetic particles appears to be the sun. MAVEN's Solar Energetic Particle instrument detected a huge surge in energetic electrons at the onset of the aurora. Billions of years ago, Mars lost a global protective magnetic field like Earth has, so solar particles can directly strike the atmosphere. The electrons producing the aurora have about 100 times more energy than you get from a spark of house current, so they can penetrate deeply in the atmosphere.

The findings are being presented at the 46th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference in The Woodlands, Texas.

MAVEN was launched to Mars on Nov. 18, 2013, to help solve the mystery of how the Red Planet lost most of its atmosphere and much of its water. The spacecraft arrived at Mars on Sept. 21, and is four months into its one-Earth-year primary mission.

"The MAVEN science instruments all are performing nominally, and the data coming out of the mission are excellent," said Bruce Jakosky of CU LASP, Principal Investigator for the mission.

MAVEN is part of the agency's Mars Exploration Program, which includes the Opportunity and Curiosity rovers, the Mars Odyssey and Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft currently orbiting the planet.

NASA's Mars Exploration Program seeks to characterize and understand Mars as a dynamic system, including its present and past environment, climate cycles, geology and biological potential. In parallel, NASA is developing the human spaceflight capabilities needed for its journey to Mars or a future round-trip mission to the Red Planet in the 2030’s.

MAVEN's principal investigator is based at the University of Colorado's Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics, and NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, manages the MAVEN project. Partner institutions include Lockheed Martin, the University of California at Berkeley, and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

For images related to the findings, visit:

Jacques :-)

Offline catdlr

« Reply #56 on: 06/24/2015 08:39 pm »
Bruce Jakosky—MAVEN Early Results

Published on Jun 24, 2015
In this presentation from June 20, 2015, Dr. Bruce Jakosky, principal investigator for the NASA MAVEN mission to Mars and Professor of Geological Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder, opened the second day of the 2015 MAVEN New Media Professional Development Workshop with a presentation and discussion about some of the early results from the first mission devoted entirely to investigating Mars' upper atmosphere.

(Video credit: Tom Mason/University of Colorado - LASP)

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #57 on: 06/25/2015 02:41 pm »
MAVEN just got a mission extension:

NASA's MAVEN Mars orbiter has won a mission extension. The project announced on its Twitter account Monday that its mission has been extended from November of this year through September 2016. MAVEN has been in orbit around Mars since last September and performing well, so the extension was not unexpected. [Twitter @MAVEN2Mars ]

https://twitter.com/MAVEN2Mars/status/613048799485825024

Offline catdlr

« Reply #58 on: 06/25/2015 06:43 pm »
David L. Mitchell—MAVEN Particles and Fields Data

Published on Jun 25, 2015
In this presentation from June 20, 2015, Dr. David L. Mitchell, assistant research physicist at UC-Berkeley's Space Sciences Laboratory and instrument lead for the MAVEN Solar Wind Electron Analyzer, wrapped up the second day of the 2015 MAVEN New Media Professional Development Workshop. The presentation and discussion covered some of the early results from the mission's Particles and Fields Package, which was designed to characterize the solar wind and the ionosphere of the red planet.

Offline catdlr

« Reply #59 on: 06/26/2015 08:50 pm »
Dave Brain—MAVEN Measurements of Drivers, Response, and Escape

Published on Jun 26, 2015
In this presentation from June 20, 2015, Dr. David Brain, assistant professor of Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder and MAVEN science team co-investigator, focuses on atmospheric escape processes at Mars during the second day of the 2015 MAVEN New Media Professional Development Workshop.

The presentation and related discussion covered some of the early results from the nine instruments onboard the MAVEN spacecraft and the model predictions of what the early data indicate about Mars' atmospheric and climate evolution.

Tags: Maven Mars 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography