Author Topic: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread  (Read 2031839 times)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Re: Launch, Land, and Relaunch Party Thread
« Reply #120 on: 03/31/2017 12:51 am »
Yes, after I asked and looked, I realized it.  Also, when I realized that NK doesn't have the technology to get on twitter in the first place!!  LOL
That's DPRK to you, buddy... Don't make me go all Kim on your ---
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #121 on: 03/31/2017 12:54 am »
Yes, after I asked and looked, I realized it.  Also, when I realized that NK doesn't have the technology to get on twitter in the first place!!  LOL

Lucky I finished my drink before I sprayed my computer!!

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #122 on: 03/31/2017 01:00 am »

As someone with the initials NK, people calling it DPRK is so nice, I wish could reward everyone who does with a free LEGO...

...element.  :P
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:11 am by ClayJar »

Offline AndyX

• Liked: 375
  • Likes Given: 594
« Reply #123 on: 03/31/2017 01:02 am »
NSF is a battletank these days!

Look at it fly with all these people on right now.....
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:03 am by AndyX »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #124 on: 03/31/2017 01:08 am »

As someone with the initials NK, people calling it DPRK is so nice, I wish could reward everyone who does with a free lego...

...element.  :P

It's all caps, bro... "LEGO elements are awesome" :) Don't make me come over to  your house and leave a bunch of 2x2 bricks (the most painful kind) next to your bed in the middle of the night so you step on them....
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:09 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #125 on: 03/31/2017 01:15 am »
Can anyone confirm the reports of other launch provider executives were seen in their respective corners hunched over in a fetal position sobbing...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #126 on: 03/31/2017 01:17 am »
Can anyone confirm the reports of other launch provider executives were seen in their respective corners hunched over in a fetal position sobbing...

Naughty! And to be fair, Tory sent congrats on Twitter.

Space industry should be like that. I mean after 90 minutes of kicking chunks out of each other at a football match, you shake hands at the end of the game.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 01:18 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
« Reply #127 on: 03/31/2017 01:18 am »
Don't make me come over to  your house and leave a bunch of 2x2 bricks (the most painful kind) next to your bed in the middle of the night so you step on them....

So, if SpaceX covered the deck of the ASDS in titanium panels with posts of LEGO-brick-compatible dimensions, could they apply plates to the bottom of the roomba so it clicks into place securely and with no chance of sliding?  (This is a party-serious question, of course, and not merely an attempt to distract while a previous post is edited by a few bits of ASCII.)  ;D

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #128 on: 03/31/2017 01:38 am »

Space industry should be like that. I mean after 90 minutes of kicking chunks out of each other at a football match, you shake hands at the end of the game.
Tory is a good man, I would like to see if the others are so magnanimous...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #129 on: 03/31/2017 01:45 am »
Don't make me come over to  your house and leave a bunch of 2x2 bricks (the most painful kind) next to your bed in the middle of the night so you step on them....

So, if SpaceX covered the deck of the ASDS in titanium panels with posts of LEGO-brick-compatible dimensions, could they apply plates to the bottom of the roomba so it clicks into place securely and with no chance of sliding?  (This is a party-serious question, of course, and not merely an attempt to distract while a previous post is edited by a few bits of ASCII.)  ;D

The more studs you have in a row, the more accurate your rotational alignment has to be for it to work. So the Xoomba would have to first rotate and translate to a very precise alignment. (when I say "in a row" I'm including the studs 40 feet away, since you have to align with them too)

I have some clone 2x4 brick elements machined from aluminum. The clutch power isn't that good because there isn't enough give (part of what makes LEGO elements clutch is the precise dimensional tolerances, and the other part is that ABS has just the right amount of flex)... but they clutch with plastic elements ok. Just not with each other.

Tory is a good man, I would like to see if the others are so magnanimous...

Agree about Tory. Good man. As is Dr. Soros.

I heard a rumor Jeff Bezos wasn't, saying 'welcome to the club' as if he'd done an actual paying mission to orbit booster reuse already.

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #130 on: 03/31/2017 02:08 am »
well i dont know about you guys but im ready to launch this stage...

one more time

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #131 on: 03/31/2017 02:42 am »
Barring something totally bizarre, we will have a winner! :)

Coming soon to a theatre near you...
ATTACK OF THE ROOMBA
If the Roomba knocks over the stage, then clearly it was misidentified as Optimus Prime.  Wrecking the stage would be a total Decepticon move.  Have to rename it Megatron.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #132 on: 03/31/2017 02:58 am »
Wait.. Falcon 9 version 2.5?  Mind blown!
New Poll: Is SpaceX now the world's leading company when it comes to inconsistent naming conventions?
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
« Reply #133 on: 03/31/2017 03:05 am »
If the Roomba knocks over the stage, then clearly it was misidentified as Optimus Prime.  Wrecking the stage would be a total Decepticon move.  Have to rename it Megatron.

Hmm.... that's strangely familiar.  Coincidence?

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
« Reply #134 on: 03/31/2017 03:24 am »
Wait.. Falcon 9 version 2.5?  Mind blown!
New Poll: Is SpaceX now the world's leading company when it comes to inconsistent naming conventions?

99 standards for naming it now.
99 standards for names.
You take one down, pass it around.
100 standards for naming it now.  ;D

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #135 on: 03/31/2017 03:47 am »
So who gets the slagged grid fin as a conference room trophy?

Offline Surfdaddy

• Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 4248
« Reply #136 on: 03/31/2017 04:34 am »
That was crazy, but we survived it again, with guests on. Again, the continually beefed up servers are dealing with these events. Thanks to Mark and thanks to the L2 members that allow us to throw a boat load of cash at IBM to pay for these servers.

Check out the surge for launch and landing - and the coast (where a lot of people move their eyes from the webcast to the forum). ;D

That first bar is actually a very busy site! A few years ago, that first bar would be a point we'd go Bad Gateway! The top one is ludicrous mode.

Just wait until Falcon Heavy!

Offline joek

• Liked: 2784
  • Likes Given: 1097
« Reply #137 on: 03/31/2017 05:03 am »

Nah... IBM has tenaciously held and defended that title for decades.  And Elon did say something to the effect of "about v2.5".  So between the presumably v1.2 (current) and  ~v2.5 (Block 5), we have a delta of ~1.3.  Which would imply an enormous difference based on past versions (zero-based).  OTOH, the version numbers may be non-linear, where we are asymptotically approaching the final Block 5 or ~v2.5.

Offline JayWee

• Liked: 993
  • Likes Given: 1838
« Reply #138 on: 03/31/2017 05:27 am »
Or maybe it's just Falcon 9 v1.2.5? And he could have just omitted the (implied) 1. Such a scheme is pretty common in the software world.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #139 on: 03/31/2017 06:19 am »
That was crazy, but we survived it again, with guests on. Again, the continually beefed up servers are dealing with these events. Thanks to Mark and thanks to the L2 members that allow us to throw a boat load of cash at IBM to pay for these servers.

Check out the surge for launch and landing - and the coast (where a lot of people move their eyes from the webcast to the forum). ;D

That first bar is actually a very busy site! A few years ago, that first bar would be a point we'd go Bad Gateway! The top one is ludicrous mode.

Just wait until Falcon Heavy!

Bah! That is nothing, compare to when the Grey Dragon lifts off in late 2018. Hope Chris B is planning for it now.

Tags: SpaceX partythread 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography