Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Formosat-5 : SLC-4E Vandenberg : Aug 24, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 267228 times)

Offline oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 4490
  • Likes Given: 839
Range closure appears to be mid-March through mid-August.
Its is not so much a closure as a no launch duration that the range has scheduled a major asset movement. Iridium/SpaceX seems to already gotten a NET July launch date from the WR. IF SpaceX does not need that asset for its launches then the range activity would only be interrupted for the actual launch day activities. But if the asset is required then already the time to move the asset has decreased by 1 month. A mid April FFORMOSAT launch decreases the 6 month available duration to only 4 months. Same if the launch is moved out to late June.

Offline bstrong

• Liked: 690
  • Likes Given: 452
I'm perplexed. Any chance they could launch from the Cape? This thread seems to indicate it's possible, and it's a tiny payload:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=14778.0

Offline mtakala24

I'm perplexed. Any chance they could launch from the Cape? This thread seems to indicate it's possible, and it's a tiny payload:

Nope. Polar orbit.

Edit: sorry, didn't read the linked thread first as I'm on my phone.

But,

Originally it was supposed to be only Formosat 5 and maybe some cubesats, but now there is the huge 80+ Cubesat dispenser called Sherpa SSO which is on this same flight. Sherpa with its numerous customers isn't light.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2016 07:10 pm by mtakala24 »

Offline bstrong

• Liked: 690
  • Likes Given: 452

Nope. Polar orbit.

Edit: sorry, didn't read the linked thread first as I'm on my phone.

But,

Originally it was supposed to be only Formosat 5 and maybe some cubesats, but now there is the huge 80+ Cubesat dispenser called Sherpa SSO which is on this same flight. Sherpa with its numerous customers isn't light.

This paper states that Sherpa is capable of deploying up to 1500kg of satellites:

I'm not sure what to estimate for the mass of Sherpa plus other secondaries and adapters, but assuming 3000kg, you've still got less than 5000kg total. I have no idea what the penalty for the dogleg is, but it seems like you've still got a lot of performance margin to work with on this mission.

Offline Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 2372
  • Likes Given: 2514
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/the-rise-of-cubesat-astronomy-08032016/
The mission will launch on a SpaceX Falcon-9 rocket from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, along with several other CubeSat payloads and Taiwan's FORMOSAT-5 satellite. The launch is scheduled for May 2016.

Offline GraniteHound92

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 63
Will they be attempting RTLS on this launch?

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 1861
  • Likes Given: 1759

Maybe. SpaceX was thinking either this mission, SpX-9, or SpX-10. That's from what I know.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 1861
  • Likes Given: 1759
Remind me if this question was answered:

Does SHERPA stand for anything, or is the "S" only capitalized?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4183
  • Likes Given: 2
Remind me if this question was answered:

Does SHERPA stand for anything, or is the "S" only capitalized?

According to Spaceflights Curt Blake SHERPA (in caps) is not an acronyn but it is intended to honor the Himalayan guides.

http://www.seattleastronomy.com/blog1/2014/05/first-sherpa-launch-from-spaceflight-inc-set-for-next-year/
DM

Offline starhawk92

• Burlington, NC, USA, North America, Earth (for now)
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 227
So, JCSAT has slipped, and there are currently two other SLC-40 launches (assumed) before the Formosat launch from VAFB.

Do slides on the Right Coast affect the schedule on the Left Coast?  Is there any reason we do not have a target date for this launch as yet, like the payload is not at the launch site for processing?

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
So, JCSAT has slipped, and there are currently two other SLC-40 launches (assumed) before the Formosat launch from VAFB.

Do slides on the Right Coast affect the schedule on the Left Coast?  Is there any reason we do not have a target date for this launch as yet, like the payload is not at the launch site for processing?

Because they arent quite sure when the range will reopen?

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5636
Yes.  Inferring from recent SpaceX filings related to approval for RTLS at VAFB (the environmental assessment and marine mammal harassment application), all currently planned launches from VAFB will RTLS with a contingency to land on the barge ~30 miles off shore based on a Range decision about returning booster overflight of sensitive assets on the southern section of the base.  i.e. They'll all RTLS unless there's a Delta IV on the pad at SLC-6, in which case they'll RTLB(?) (Return To Landing Barge).
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5636

According to the CEO of Irridium, Matt Desch, they don't.  https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/725666667414564864 
Peter B. de Selding
‏@pbdes

IRDM's Desch: We launch frm Vandenberg w/ SpaceX. 6 SpaceX launches scheduled before us but doesnt mean delays among them = delay for us.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 2483
  • Likes Given: 3199
Do we know if the payloads are ready and/or at VAFB?

Edit: Clarify, are Formosat and SHERPA at VAFB. 
« Last Edit: 05/10/2016 04:57 pm by wannamoonbase »
Superheavy + Starship the final push to launch commit!

Offline BrianNH

• Liked: 136
  • Likes Given: 615
That tweet was posted at the end of April.  If there were 6 SpaceX launches before this one (including JCSAT-14), then I don't see how this launch could have been scheduled for earlier than late July/August. 

JCSAT-14 was May
Thaicom 8 is May
Eutelsat 117 West B is presumably June
CRS-9 is June
Iridium is supposed to be July (at Vandenberg)
AMOS-6 is July

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 11134
  • Likes Given: 4979
That tweet was posted at the end of April.  If there were 6 SpaceX launches before this one (including JCSAT-14), then I don't see how this launch could have been scheduled for earlier than late July/August. 

JCSAT-14 was May
Thaicom 8 is May
CRS-9 is June
AMOS-6 is July

The tweet was for the Iridium flight, not this one.  It will be interesting to see if the pad and range at Vandenberg are actually able to launch anything before the Iridium mission, wouldn't be shocked if this one slipped to August.

Offline WHAP

• Liked: 105
  • Likes Given: 8

JCSAT-14 was May
Thaicom 8 is May
CRS-9 is June
AMOS-6 is July

The tweet was for the Iridium flight, not this one.  It will be interesting to see if the pad and range at Vandenberg are actually able to launch anything before the Iridium mission, wouldn't be shocked if this one slipped to August.

No one should be shocked, since it's been discussed before that the Western Range is closed until mid-August.  I don't have any official sources, but last time I checked the (second or third-hand) information available to me, it looked like that had not changed (maybe even moved about a week later). 
ULA employee.  My opinions do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 517
  • Likes Given: 199
I found this blogpost/ website where updates are placed on the progress of some of the cubesats that will launch along with Formosat-5. http://blog.isilaunch.com/
ISIlaunch is a sister company of ISIS space, the provider of the Quadpack dispensers.
SHERPA is a rideshare adapter for five ESPA Grande payloads (24" 300kg |660lbs). On this flight a non propulsive SHERPA will be used, Spaceflight industries also offers SHERPA's with a propulsion module.
Spaceflight has developed three adapter plates:
- a linear adapter plate for ESPA payloads (8" or 15" 180kg)
- a dual ESPA adapter (2 8" or 15" both 120kg)
- a plate where 7  Quadpack's (12U cubesat dispensers) can mounted onto.
this flight will use three quadpack plates (3x 84U) and one dual ESPA adapter.
I'm looking forward to this record setting launch. Although the record might not stand for long. On the QB-50 website it is stated that six QB-50 cubesates will be launched on a Dnepr, that has a wooping 190 cubesat cubesat payload manifest.
« Last Edit: 05/11/2016 06:54 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1832
  • Likes Given: 954

JCSAT-14 was May
Thaicom 8 is May
CRS-9 is June
AMOS-6 is July

Doesn't SpaceX have to complete modifications to the TEL and launchpad infrastructure at Vandenberg to support Falcon 9 v1.2 anyhow?
« Last Edit: 05/11/2016 09:34 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 517
  • Likes Given: 199
Doesn't SpaceX have to complete modifications to the TEL and launchpad infrastructure at Vandenberg to support Falcon 9 v1.2 anyhow?

I agree SpaceX has to modify the SLC-4E facilities. But if it holds back the launch from VDB they really have planned badly. The last launch from SLC-4E was F9-21 with Jason-3 17 January 2016. They already have had four months to do the modifications. And they already build infrastructure there before the Jason3 launch. I don't expect it to be a problem.
The range system maintenance on the other hand, could hold the launches from Vandenberg. 

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography