Author Topic: LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites!  (Read 35825 times)

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
Re: LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites!
« Reply #40 on: 07/18/2009 03:16 am »
"I do know the moon landings were faked," said crusading filmmaker Bart Sibrel, whose aggressive interview tactics once provoked Aldrin to punch him in the face.

One of the great moments in spaceflight history.  For those who haven't seen it:

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: 07/18/2009 05:11 am »
I think someone mentioned it earlier, but oblique views would be even more spectacular (especially for A15 and A17), though I'd be surprised if those will be available. It would be incredible if the overheads could make out footprints.

I'd also be interested in getting a better look at Neil's crater/West Crater, and Little West, then the one's I've seen previous.
« Last Edit: 07/18/2009 05:56 am by rsp1202 »

Offline Eerie

• Liked: 208
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #42 on: 07/18/2009 08:33 am »
"I do know the moon landings were faked," said crusading filmmaker Bart Sibrel, whose aggressive interview tactics once provoked Aldrin to punch him in the face.

One of the great moments in spaceflight history.  For those who haven't seen it:

But obviously, this video is also faked. ;-)

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #43 on: 07/18/2009 02:36 pm »
It angers me that CNN has still not put these images up and still have the Moon Hoax garbage story up there.

This is why I refuse to watch the main networks for space coverage. I stopped watching Fox after they aired that Moon Hoax special, and now CNN drops to the same level of mediocrity...

I totally agree with you.
CNN still does not have an article about "LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites" almost 24 hour after the release!!! Not even in their Tech section!
I am very frustrated.  ???
A news like this I would expect to be a world front page news. But it seems nobody cares - nor CNN, nor Yahoo, nor FOX  >:(

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #44 on: 07/18/2009 02:38 pm »
WRT the "6 percent" figure, look at that and then look at the state of the general population. The population that idolizes the wrong people for the wrong reasons, the population that rewards stupidity and apathy while punishing intelligence and curiosity, the population whose alpha and omega are "what's in it for me?" The population that feeds its narcissism on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube. It explains itself.

/rant
You are right  :(

Online Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #45 on: 07/18/2009 03:50 pm »
The 6% figure is nothing to get upset about.  Apparently, according to pollsters, you can get at least 6% of people to answer affirmatively to any question, so it's just a fact that there's a segment of the population that's inherently dumb/goofy.

In fact, why should we care about this more than we care about people believing other stupid things?  I bet that more than 6% of the population believes in angels.  Anybody seen an angel around lately?  And what percentage reads their horoscope regularly, or goes to see a psychic?

If there is anything to be concerned about, it is that the number of young people who believe this is growing.  But I think that's something that has to do with personal experience (i.e. they were not around back then).  And it is something that you can teach them out of.  These LRO photos could be useful because if you present enough evidence to young people, while their opinions are still malleable, then you can convince them otherwise.

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #46 on: 07/18/2009 04:43 pm »

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #47 on: 07/18/2009 05:55 pm »
It angers me that CNN has still not put these images up and still have the Moon Hoax garbage story up there.

This is why I refuse to watch the main networks for space coverage. I stopped watching Fox after they aired that Moon Hoax special, and now CNN drops to the same level of mediocrity...

CNN still does not have an article about "LRO Sees Apollo Landing Sites" almost 24 hour after the release!!! Not even in their Tech section!
A news like this I would expect to be a world front page news. But it seems nobody cares - nor CNN, nor Yahoo, nor FOX  >:(

Only MSNBC has the headline about LOR seeing the sites. It is pathetic what these stations call "news" these days.

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #48 on: 07/18/2009 06:01 pm »

Only MSNBC has the headline about LOR seeing the sites. It is pathetic what these stations call "news" these days.

Maybe on Monday the images will be newsworthy..............
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline floron

• goodbye Austin, hello Seattle
    • my occasional blog
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #49 on: 07/18/2009 06:18 pm »
I'm pleased to say the BBC news report on this doesn't contain a single mention of conspiracy theorists.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8157368.stm

Offline Hop_David

• Ajo, Arizona
    • Hop's Gallery
  • Liked: 147
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #50 on: 07/18/2009 06:50 pm »

Oh for the days of Cronkite. When the TV talking heads had more grey matter and less hair spray.

Offline Gregster

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #51 on: 07/18/2009 06:51 pm »
I think I may be confused by the direction of the shadows produced by the LM descent stages.  When the landings happened, the sun was behind the LM and the front was in shadow.  The sun appears to be in an opposite angle in the LRO images with the rear of the LM in shadow.  Have I got that right?  Here is a photograph of Double Crater taken out of the left side window of Eagle before the Apollo 11 EVA.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5848.jpg

Double Crater appears in the LRO image, to the left-front of Eagle, if the sun is indeed at an opposite angle.

I'm LOVING these images, BTW!  I feel like I'm 14 again!
« Last Edit: 07/18/2009 07:32 pm by Gregster »

Offline Art LeBrun

• Photo freak
  • Orange, California
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #52 on: 07/18/2009 07:33 pm »
I think I may be confused by the direction of the shadows produced by the LM descent stages.  When the landings happened, the sun was behind the LM and the front was in shadow.  The sun appears to be in an opposite angle in the LRO images with the rear of the LM in shadow.  Have I got that right?  I'm LOVING these images, BTW!

The landings were done at sunrise to avoid heat....if the shadows change 180 degrees then the image from orbit was taken in the lunar afternoon or sunset.
Kinda like the craters and other landforms change their lighting effect during the biweekly lunar nearside illumination cycle............
1958 launch vehicle highlights: Vanguard TV-4 and Atlas 12B

Offline Gregster

• Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #53 on: 07/18/2009 07:58 pm »
That clears it up.  Thank you, sir!  The LRO images must have been taken later in the lunar day.  The LM was then traveling right-to-left along it's ground track as it appears in the LRO image.  The features match nicely (West Crater and others) with the 16mm DAC footage of the final approach and landing.  Conspiracy theorists will dismiss it, of course.
« Last Edit: 07/18/2009 09:15 pm by Gregster »

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #54 on: 07/18/2009 08:21 pm »
I'm pleased to say the BBC news report on this doesn't contain a single mention of conspiracy theorists.

Good for Britain!
It looks like they are the first from the big news agencies with the news.

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #55 on: 07/20/2009 05:39 pm »
Today Yahoo Canada runs "As U.S. celebrates 40th anniversary of moon walk, some still believe it was faked" article:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090719/science/science_moon_walk_hoax_1

NASA may soon prove once and for all the moon landing was real - its Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter is now circling the moon with powerful cameras, snapping high-resolution photos that could show the Apollo 11's Eagle lander still perched on the lunar surface.

Do your job guys - it already snapped them!
« Last Edit: 07/20/2009 05:39 pm by Yegor »

Offline Yegor

• Regular
« Reply #56 on: 07/20/2009 05:42 pm »

Good for Britain!
It looks like they are the first from the big news agencies with the news.

Still much more Britons (25%) than Americans (6%) do not believe in 1969-1972 Moon landings, Russians 28%:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090719/science/science_moon_walk_hoax_1

Offline dwb0407

• Connecticut, USA
« Reply #57 on: 07/20/2009 06:48 pm »
Excited is an understatement for me.

What kind of camera did we send on LRO? At least as good as the MRO camera? We got decent pics of Spirit and Opportunity from a much higher orbit, did we not? So the coming images should be mark-ably better. Can't Wait.

CNN should be severely thrashed with ______________( fill in the blank with whatever you like) for the titling of their article.

How about covering more of the actual science and missions that are going on, instead of covering rumor and drama.

Maybe the people of the world would know more, and care more if the news outlets did a better job conveying the important stuff.

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #58 on: 07/20/2009 06:56 pm »
What kind of camera did we send on LRO? At least as good as the MRO camera?

Not as good as MRO's camera when it comes to angular resolution. They will have comparable effective resolutions (MRO cca 30 cm/pix, LRO 50 cm/pix IIRC) because LRO will be in a 6x lower orbit.

The HiRISE camera on MRO would produce seriously impressive imagery of the landing sites in place of LRO's camera (we'd be talking about something around 5cm/pixel if the instrument could handle it!), but there would be no point in sending such an expensive camera only to be able to look at a few sites in extremely high resolution. It would be overkill for most of the other lunar science mission.
« Last Edit: 07/20/2009 07:01 pm by ugordan »

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #59 on: 09/03/2009 09:28 pm »
This image from LRO shows the spacecraft's first look at the Apollo 12 landing site. The Intrepid lunar module descent stage, experiment package (ALSEP) and Surveyor 3 spacecraft are all visible. Astronaut footpaths are marked with unlabeled arrows. This image is 824 meters (about 900 yards) wide. The top of the image faces North. Credit: NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center/Arizona State University

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_20090903_apollo12.html

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography