Author Topic: LIVE: SpaceX Falcon 1 Launch 5 (RazakSat) - July 13/14  (Read 355148 times)

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
Re: SpaceX Falcon 1 Launch 5 - May, 2009 (RazakSat)
« Reply #40 on: 03/08/2009 12:45 am »
Actually, it would be edkyleXCIX.  There's some rule about not putting something more than 10x below the one that's being modified.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#XCIX_vs._IC

But that's enough non-Space trivia for this thread.  Would that the number of Apollo launches or Atlas or Delta models were high enough to worry about these rules.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline duane

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: 03/08/2009 03:44 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_numerals#XCIX_vs._IC

That's proof that everything is available on the web. Long ago I even saw instructions on how to fold fitted sheets.

Regarding the SpaceX fire at McGregor Tx. I have not seen anymore details come out except for some local news blurbs from Texas, that said basically nothing. Just wondering if anyone knows what actually happened ?

Thanks!
Duane
« Last Edit: 03/08/2009 03:45 am by duane »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #42 on: 03/08/2009 08:26 pm »

Regarding the SpaceX fire at McGregor Tx. I have not seen anymore details come out except for some local news blurbs from Texas, that said basically nothing. Just wondering if anyone knows what actually happened ?

Why say anything unless you have to (Someone gets hurt, Osha fine, delays the program). They are a private company, I would bet the people who do know would fear for there jobs if they leak what happened.

I think the best way to find out is to have someone in the press (like Chris ... jab jab ...) directly ask Mr. Musk. He can choose to ignore or actually say what happened. That way no one gets in trouble for spilling the beans. He can not fire himself.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline osiossim

• Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 03/09/2009 06:49 am »
Is there any concrete progress on this issue, rather than naming the launch vehicle?

Did the launch vehicle leave the factory for Razaksat launch? How is the satellite's status? It has been waiting to be launched since 2 years in Kwajalein. What about the hydrazine and battery status?

Did FAA approved the launch?

Any real update?
« Last Edit: 03/09/2009 06:52 am by osiossim »

Offline Nathan

• Sydney
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #44 on: 03/09/2009 07:30 am »
Is there any concrete progress on this issue, rather than naming the launch vehicle?

Did the launch vehicle leave the factory for Razaksat launch? How is the satellite's status? It has been waiting to be launched since 2 years in Kwajalein. What about the hydrazine and battery status?

Did FAA approved the launch?

Any real update?

The FAA has approved the launch. The site below has shown the approval for quite some time though.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/launch_data/upcoming_launch/
Given finite cash, if we want to go to Mars then we should go to Mars.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #45 on: 03/09/2009 11:22 am »
How is the satellite's status? It has been waiting to be launched since 2 years in Kwajalein. What about the hydrazine and battery status?

Where was it said that the spacecraft has been at Kwaj for 2 years.  It would not be loaded with hydrazine that long

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #46 on: 03/09/2009 11:42 am »
The spacecraft had its share of problems and delays, too, but to be honest the majority of the delays were probably due to the launch vehicle.

Saying it was lying around at Kwaj for 2 years is just ignorant.

Offline NUAETIUS

• Liked: 1
« Reply #47 on: 03/09/2009 08:27 pm »
The FAA has approved the launch. The site below has shown the approval for quite some time though.
http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ast/launch_data/upcoming_launch/

This page has not changed in several months. No new news.
“It has long been recognized that the formation of a committee is a powerful technique for avoiding responsibility, deferring difficult decisions and averting blame….while at the same time maintaining a semblance of action.” Augustine's Law - Norm Augustine

Offline NUAETIUS

• Liked: 1
« Reply #48 on: 03/09/2009 08:54 pm »

Jim or one of the other professionals.  When a payload is on an indeterminate delay (as in it will be 6-12 months plus before it launches), how is the spacecraft stored?  I assume it is not fueled until it has a set launch date, but do they remove or not install the batteries?  Are the only systems that are time sensitive the batteries and fuel?  Do they vacuum seal the vehicle?  Do they keep it at room temperature, or lower?  Who owns the vehicle during the delay, the launcher, the contractor who built the vehicle, or the customer who ordered the vehicle?
“It has long been recognized that the formation of a committee is a powerful technique for avoiding responsibility, deferring difficult decisions and averting blame….while at the same time maintaining a semblance of action.” Augustine's Law - Norm Augustine

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #49 on: 03/09/2009 09:55 pm »

1.    When a payload is on an indeterminate delay (as in it will be 6-12 months plus before it launches), how is the spacecraft stored? 
2.  I assume it is not fueled until it has a set launch date,
3.  but do they remove or not install the batteries? 
4.  Are the only systems that are time sensitive the batteries and fuel? 
5.  Do they vacuum seal the vehicle? 
6.  Do they keep it at room temperature, or lower? 
7. Who owns the vehicle during the delay, the launcher, the contractor who built the vehicle, or the customer who ordered the vehicle?

1.  In a clean room, usually bagged
2.  correct
3.  Batteries are usually installed at the factory long before shipment.  battery maintenance (trickle charge, charge/discharge cycles, etc) is usually done during the delay
4.  There might be others like cryogens.  But some instruments once at cryogenic temps might need to be maintained at them. 
5.  no, just covered with cleanroom compatible film
6.  Standard clearoom temp 65-75 f
7. The launcher never owns it.  As for the customer or the contractor, it depends on the contract and when the vehicle is turnover. 

Offline duane

« Reply #50 on: 03/09/2009 10:46 pm »

Why say anything unless you have to (Someone gets hurt, Osha fine, delays the program). They are a private company, I would bet the people who do know would fear for there jobs if they leak what happened.

I think the best way to find out is to have someone in the press (like Chris ... jab jab ...) directly ask Mr. Musk. He can choose to ignore or actually say what happened. That way no one gets in trouble for spilling the beans. He can not fire himself.

Point taken Kevin

Just wondering because the fire was in the news, and local fire departments were involved. Not that private a matter if fire department gets involved.

Assuming it was not a big deal, but yea I would love to have someone who has access to Musk to ask a question like that.

You're right though, probably not wanting OSHA to swoosh down on them (if they have not already) because of it.

Thanks
Duane

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #51 on: 03/10/2009 01:09 am »
You're right though, probably not wanting OSHA to swoosh down on them (if they have not already) because of it.

My point was unless there is a legal action taken against spaceX for the fire there does not need to be a public disclosure. It is just between them and what ever local regulatory agency(s) they answer to. Besides the "agency(s)" only need to report the fire and any "unsafe" practices if it warrants legal action. That might not tell you much beyond there was a fire.

You should not fear OSHA, if you fear OSHA you are doing something you shouldn't be. OSHA is you and your coworker’s best friend.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline osiossim

« Reply #52 on: 03/10/2009 06:40 am »
Is there anybody here from ATSB? If yes, could she/he inform us about the Razaksat's status?

Offline Nathan

• Sydney
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #53 on: 03/10/2009 07:18 am »

This page has not changed in several months. No new news.

Huh? It's not new news but it answers the question asked which was "has the FAA approved the launch?" The answer is yes as shown by the the website link posted.

Given finite cash, if we want to go to Mars then we should go to Mars.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
« Reply #54 on: 03/10/2009 11:59 am »
 20 April is the date I am hearing

Offline osiossim

« Reply #55 on: 03/11/2009 11:20 am »

But, the first and the second stages of the launch vehicle will leave the factory soon. Is 20 April a realistic date?

Both of the stages have to arrive in Kwajalein together with the satellite. Integration of the s/c to l/v and fitchecks will take some time. Is there any contingency?
« Last Edit: 03/11/2009 11:21 am by osiossim »

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3113
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #56 on: 03/11/2009 11:27 am »

But, the first and the second stages of the launch vehicle will leave the factory soon. Is 20 April a realistic date?

Both of the stages have to arrive in Kwajalein together with the satellite. Integration of the s/c to l/v and fitchecks will take some time. Is there any contingency?

It does sound tight, but they have gone through this a few times now so there should be some learning curve time out of the way.

Also, if they are serious about cost controls then you need to do things quick.  Manufacture, ship, assemble, fuel and fire.  More time than is minimally required is inefficient.

Wish them the best.  Hope Flight 5 is a 100% success.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #57 on: 03/11/2009 11:36 am »
But, the first and the second stages of the launch vehicle will leave the factory soon.

Where did you read this? HMXHMX said a couple of posts back that F1 was already shipped to Kwaj.

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2215
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #58 on: 03/11/2009 04:14 pm »
But, the first and the second stages of the launch vehicle will leave the factory soon.

Where did you read this? HMXHMX said a couple of posts back that F1 was already shipped to Kwaj.

Just to be clear, I said that the SpaceX presenter (Max V.) said they had left.  Other than that I have no knowledge of my own.

Offline duane

« Reply #59 on: 03/11/2009 07:46 pm »

My point was unless there is a legal action taken against spaceX for the fire there does not need to be a public disclosure. It is just between them and what ever local regulatory agency(s) they answer to. Besides the "agency(s)" only need to report the fire and any "unsafe" practices if it warrants legal action. That might not tell you much beyond there was a fire.

You should not fear OSHA, if you fear OSHA you are doing something you shouldn't be. OSHA is you and your coworker’s best friend.

Thanks! No relations to OSHA here. Just wondering had happened down there.

Duane

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography