Author Topic: Pictures Posted with Rotation Problems: Necessary Evil or Addressable by Policy  (Read 4103 times)

Offline AC in NC

• Raleigh NC
  • Liked: 3628
  • Likes Given: 1950
I'm sure it's been discussed before though I searched and didn't find anything.

It seems like lately we've had tons of pictures posted rotated 90 degrees.

Is this just a necessary evil (presumably) due to posting from Mobile Phones; or is this something we can adopt a General Principle for NSF like done for the Text Content for Tweets.  It makes a pictures post awfully uncomfortable.  If my reaction to them is any general guage, pictures are being hosted which people are really consuming.  I don't even really bother to view them unexpanded.

Thanks either way.  I'll hang up and listen.

Online kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
It's a problem usually with iPhone photos. Apple for some silly reason doesn't set the orientation correctly and as a result your can get the photos 90 degrees out. They will look fine on the iPhone and sometimes on a laptop but when viewed in a browser will be rotated.

We usually tell our customers to view it on a laptop, rotate it 90 and then back again. This sets the correct meta data and you're good to upload on the web.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8792
  • Likes Given: 7818
It's a problem usually with iPhone photos. Apple for some silly reason doesn't set the orientation correctly and as a result your can get the photos 90 degrees out. They will look fine on the iPhone and sometimes on a laptop but when viewed in a browser will be rotated.

We usually tell our customers to view it on a laptop, rotate it 90 and then back again. This sets the correct meta data and you're good to upload on the web.

Could not this site provide a tool to change the orientation when posting?   
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online kevinof

• Somewhere on the boat
  • Liked: 1869
  • Likes Given: 1262
Could do (but then again it's just one more dev job to add to the never ending list that Chris B has). Far as I remember it's only an issue with PNG as png files do not support the rotation flag.

Maybe the fix is to get people to take their photos as Jpegs only.

Could not this site provide a tool to change the orientation when posting?

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
  • Liked: 2204
  • Likes Given: 818
I'm sure it's been discussed before though I searched and didn't find anything.

It seems like lately we've had tons of pictures posted rotated 90 degrees.

Is this just a necessary evil (presumably) due to posting from Mobile Phones; or is this something we can adopt a General Principle for NSF like done for the Text Content for Tweets.  It makes a pictures post awfully uncomfortable.  If my reaction to them is any general guage, pictures are being hosted which people are really consuming.  I don't even really bother to view them unexpanded.

Thanks either way.  I'll hang up and listen.

The picture rotation problem is just NSF's poor image reader that couldn't recognize rotation metadata in the image when it does a downscale and re-encode and embed. If you view the image directly then these types of images are always properly rotated correctly because your browser is correctly coded.

No policy changes are needed. Just fix the site (I'm hoping the site update did this, if nothing else).
« Last Edit: 09/28/2019 01:29 am by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
 My android has always had the issue. Here's two test photos to see if it's resolved.
 Edit:  Nope
 Both were ok on the site which shall not be spoken of. I can't remember at the moment, but it seems like some jpg compression app on the phone would fix it. (Still recovering from heat exhaustion from trying to keep up with the youngsters today. Plenty of fluids treatment)
« Last Edit: 09/28/2019 02:06 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
Using windows explorer built in method (right click > rotate left) didn't work for me when uploading to NSF, but GIMP photo editor recognized those photos as rotated and asked if I wanted to load them in (and thus save) them as such.

I saw this thread because of the forum updates, but I've already fixed the rotation of my photos, so I can't see if the update fixed it.
Edit: Nomadd beat me to it; not fixed.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2019 01:52 am by pb2000 »
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
 Actually, the site did kind of fix it. When you click on the photos, the full page view comes out ok. Only the previews are off. Beyond my Fred Flintstone level image file knowledge.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2019 02:11 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline pb2000

• Calgary, AB
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 237
Actually, the site did kind of fix it. When you click on the photos, the full page view comes out ok. Only the previews are off. Beyond my Fred Flintstone level image file knowledge.
Not for me, your photos are still sideways and upside down even when I click on them (Edge browser).
Launches attended: Worldview-4 (Atlas V 401), Iridium NEXT Flight 1 (Falcon 9 FT), PAZ+Starlink (Falcon 9 FT), Arabsat-6A (Falcon Heavy)
Pilgrimaged to: Boca Chica (09/19 & 01/22)

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
My android has always had the issue. Here's two test photos to see if it's resolved.
 Edit:  Nope
 Both were ok on the site which shall not be spoken of. I can't remember at the moment, but it seems like some jpg compression app on the phone would fix it. (Still recovering from heat exhaustion from trying to keep up with the youngsters today. Plenty of fluids treatment)

For me they render incorrectly when the forum does the rescale and doesn't read the rotation information, but they render properly when I click on them and my browser renders them. Again, this is an NSF software problem.

Yeah, when you click and full page them your browser is loading them instead of NSF resampling the image. That's how it's always been.

If I download the image I see this in the metadata of your first image for example:

"Orientation: 3 (Rotated 180°)"

But if I download the embedded image version this information is missing.
« Last Edit: 09/28/2019 07:58 am by mlindner »
LEO is the ocean, not an island (let alone a continent). We create cruise liners to ride the oceans, not artificial islands in the middle of them. We need a physical place, which has physical resources, to make our future out there.

Offline mlindner

• Software Engineer
  • Space Capitalist
  • Silicon Valley, CA
Not for me, your photos are still sideways and upside down even when I click on them (Edge browser).

Sounds like a bug in Edge browser (not surprising, it's not a good browser).

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
 Firefox in Windows and Chrome on Android display the pictures ok. Edge doesn't work at all on my laptop and I don't miss it.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography