Author Topic: Orbital's Antares Development Update Thread  (Read 1065142 times)

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Re: Taurus II Development News
« Reply #480 on: 07/16/2010 04:00 am »
SpaceX says that Falcon 9 can lift 6.8 tonnes and that anything heavier than that will require some type of engineering effort.  This would be for the Block 2 Falcon 9, which has yet to be developed.

Where does that 6.8mT number come from?

Section 4.1 of the 2009 Falcon 9 User's Guide.  Full performance was listed at 10.45 tonnes in the same document.

- Ed Kyle

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #481 on: 07/16/2010 04:04 am »
I maintain this is the wrong way to think about the issue.  Few would say a lighter aircraft is less capable than a heavier aircraft, if both performed the same mission, but one used advanced technology (modern avionics, composites) to reduce the weight.  The lighter the launch vehicle, the lower its cost is likely to be, creating the potential for more frequent launches at lower overall expenditures or higher profits.

A larger percentage of spacecraft mass is propellant.  More propellant means more delta-v, all other things being equal.  More delta-v means more in-space maneuvering and/or more time on-orbit.  When it comes to human spacecraft, all other things are roughly equal since a big part of the dry mass consists of things like heat shield, oxygen to breath, water to drink, space suits and people and parachutes to return safely, etc.. 

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 07/16/2010 04:07 am by edkyle99 »

Offline mmeijeri

• Martijn Meijering
  • NL
  • Liked: 397
  • Likes Given: 822
« Reply #482 on: 07/16/2010 05:38 am »
Section 4.1 of the 2009 Falcon 9 User's Guide.  Full performance was listed at 10.45 tonnes in the same document.

Thanks. I don't think they were saying it will require engineering effort, just that customers need to check to be sure. It does not inspire full confidence in their numbers of course.
Pro-tip: you don't have to be a jerk if someone doesn't agree with your theories

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #483 on: 07/20/2010 06:25 pm »
Orbital has a July 2010 update posting, titled "AJ26 Cold-Flow Test Engine Arrives at Stennis," available for reading at http://www.orbital.com/TaurusII/.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #484 on: 07/24/2010 02:32 am »
Here's a picture taken by Frank Culbertson of the engine to be used in the cold-flow test being mounted on the test stand at Stennis under the watchful eye of good ol' J.R. in his inevitable dark business suit
« Last Edit: 07/24/2010 03:20 am by antonioe »
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #485 on: 07/24/2010 02:35 am »
After the last meeting at Wallops (Frank C. and I flew on the 310) Frank took some pictures of the launch pad under construction, with yours truly beaming.  Also, the incredible water tower we put up for the water deluge system.  According to Frank, who has done some research, at 299.5 feet from base to top of tank THIS MAY BE THE TALLEST WATER TANK IN THE WORLD!!!

As you can see, it's still unpainted.  With Bill W.'s permisison, we are running a contest for the best paint scheme.  Any ideas?...
« Last Edit: 07/24/2010 03:19 am by antonioe »

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #486 on: 07/24/2010 02:43 am »
Any ideas?...

You could paint it like the Disney MGM Studios tower.  You may then confuse people enough who ask why you are not launching out of Florida.  ;)
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #487 on: 07/24/2010 02:47 am »
After the meeting, we departed WFF VFR and overflew the island:  I flew the plane while Frank C., who is quite a shutterbug, took the pics.  We flew once over the water, with the sun in our face, then circled for a second pass over the sound, with the sun behind our back as it should be.  Unfortunately I did not copy from Frank's camera the latter pictures, so here are a couple with the sun on our (the camera's) face.  I will get the other ones on Monday and perhaps post them.

First, the HIF (Horizontal Integration Facility) with the steelwork completed.  It's hard to gauge the size of that building, but you can fit THREE Taurus II's init...  notice how darn close to the shoreline it is!!!

Next, the Launch Pad complex, showing the ramp almost completed, the flame trench angled towards the sea, and the humongous water tower.

Finally, a view from the south, with the sun now to our left, showing the other pad (0B) where the Minotaurs are launched from, the new pad 0A and, at a distance, the HIF, behind the white water sphere.  Between the white water tank and the HIF, and to the left, is the causeway that leads to the island, and the building next to radar domes is where we meet.  We are turning westbound so the sun angle is improving.
« Last Edit: 07/24/2010 03:22 am by antonioe »

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #488 on: 07/24/2010 02:56 am »
There are two camera arms two-third of the way up the two legs of the water tower closest to the pad... I wonder if we could install a remote-control camera at the very top of the tower, looking down on the rocket and then panning up during liftoff... that would make for some really spectacular video...

Offline MP99

« Reply #489 on: 07/24/2010 09:30 am »
After the last meeting at Wallops (Frank C. and I flew on the 310) Frank took some pictures of the launch pad under construction, with yours truly beaming.  Also, the incredible water tower we put up for the water deluge system.  According to Frank, who has done some research, at 299.5 feet from base to top of tank THIS MAY BE THE TALLEST WATER TANK IN THE WORLD!!!

I bet there's a water tank somewhere near the top of the Empire State building.

Tallest water tower?

Oh, and BTW, what engineer thought "let's make this just slightly under 300ft tall". Really, couldn't have found an excuse to add six inches to the height?  ;D

cheers, Martin

Offline DavisSTS

• England, American Ex Pat
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #490 on: 07/24/2010 10:18 am »

As you can see, it's still unpainted.  With Bill W.'s permisison, we are running a contest for the best paint scheme.  Any ideas?...

Awesome photos!

I would say White with a Red tank at the top.

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #491 on: 07/24/2010 11:00 am »
Red, White and Blue of course, Antonio! :)
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline mrhuggy

• East Yorkshire, UK
  • Liked: 437
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #492 on: 07/24/2010 12:33 pm »
There are two camera arms two-third of the way up the two legs of the water tower closest to the pad... I wonder if we could install a remote-control camera at the very top of the tower, looking down on the rocket and then panning up during liftoff... that would make for some really spectacular video...

That would be a good veiw. I have one question about the water tower, why so tall?

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #493 on: 07/24/2010 02:58 pm »
Gravity head.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #494 on: 07/24/2010 03:35 pm »
Oh, and BTW, what engineer thought "let's make this just slightly under 300ft tall". Really, couldn't have found an excuse to add six inches to the height?  ;D

It probably was 300 ft tall in modelling data. In the real world, things usually don't match the optimistic performance expectations.  ;)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #495 on: 07/25/2010 01:42 am »
Very nice photos. I can guess what colors Antonio would prefer, a certain La Liga team, possibly ;)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #496 on: 07/25/2010 11:08 pm »

Frank C. already suggested it needs a fifteen or so feet tall lightning rod/aircraft beacon on top...
« Last Edit: 07/25/2010 11:08 pm by antonioe »

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #497 on: 07/25/2010 11:09 pm »
Very nice photos. I can guess what colors Antonio would prefer, a certain La Liga team, possibly ;)

Why, white and red , of course!
« Last Edit: 07/25/2010 11:19 pm by antonioe »

Offline Malderi

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #498 on: 07/26/2010 05:54 pm »
Are you concerned at all about hurricane storm surges, being so close to shore? Any sort of steps you're taking to mitigate that, that you can talk about?

Offline strangequark

• Co-Founder, Tesseract Space
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #499 on: 07/26/2010 06:28 pm »
Gravity head.

It's also very conservatively designed, according to a friend that's worked on this and LC-39's sound suppression system. Not that conservativism is anything close to a bad thing.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography