Author Topic: Anyone else wish there was a really good PC "space program" game?  (Read 4354 times)

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I know it will never happen, would not sell good enough.  My thinking is a game where you get make your own ships your own rockets, even your own rocket engines.  Sounds like a job for Will Wirght....oh wait he tried that (Project Mars) and killed it.  Damn!

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Zoomer30 - 20/4/2006  9:53 PMI know it will never happen, would not sell good enough.  My thinking is a game where you get make your own ships your own rockets, even your own rocket engines.  Sounds like a job for Will Wirght....oh wait he tried that (Project Mars) and killed it.  Damn!

Orbiter.  

www.orbitersim.com

this site has addons for the VSE

http://simcosmos.planetaclix.pt/

You really need to search on subjects before posting
Look for threads on space simulation games

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
There was a Microsoft Space Simulator a few years ago (maybe a decade ago now).  I had it, but didn't spend much time learning how to use it.  So, I can't offer much of a review.  Certainly, it didn't develop the popularity of Microsoft Flight Sim.

Offline Bubbinski

I've played Orbiter and had some fun with it, but also ran into a few problems.  This was a while back, I'll try the latest updates and see how they are.  

I've played lots of space sims, some good, some not so good....Spectrum Holobyte's Orbiter (ugh), Virgin Games' Shuttle (great for its day!), Space Station (surprisingly good), Microsoft Space Simulator (somewhat disappointing but good graphics for the time), Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space (possibly the best, I always enjoyed it).  I saw on Space.com an advertisement for a new ISS simulation....I'd need to read a review before I buy it.  I also thought when I looked at the Astra coverage how good it would be to have a strategic simulation where you are the head of a launch services company like Lockheed and you try to set up a commercial geosat launch (and science payload) program.  That and an updated ISS building/program management simulation would be awesome, I don't know if that new program I mentioned is like that.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
Bubbinski - 21/4/2006  2:23 AM
Virgin Games' Shuttle (great for its day!)

Ah yes, I had that on my 386 back in the day!  I'm sure I still have the 5.25" install disks lying around somewhere!   ;)

Online Chris Bergin

Zoomer, I've PMed you about searching for subjects that are already being discussed. Read the PM please.

Do not start another topic without checking this. Thanks.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
"Look for threads on space simulation games"

I went to "search" and entered "space simulation games" / All Dates and this is the only thread I could find... So I just tried "games" and still nothing that looked like a discussion of space related games. Got an actual thread link?

Offline Zoomer30

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
I have messed with Orbiter, that is a good one.  Just remember the good old days of "Project Space Station" for my C64.  Wont ever see one like that again.

It seems when ever I try to search for something on here it comes up with nothing.  Must not be doing it right.

Offline Bubbinski

I also played "Project Space Station" on my C64 a lot....that was a great game.  If someone would update that to the 21st century with XGA graphics I would spring for it pronto.
I'll even excitedly look forward to "flags and footprints" and suborbital missions. Just fly...somewhere.

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 3
There's Interplay's Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space or BARIS, that's from 199something. It depicts the whole space race starting from 1958 or something and the goal is to beat the other side to space, it's historically quite accurate and very hard, requires good management and strategy skills. You can play either as Russians or Americans.

I think it might be abandonware now, there's at least one download place, don't know about the legality. It works in modern computers, if not otherwise, at least in dosbox (the program).

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
Chris Bergin - 21/4/2006  4:44 AM
Zoomer, I've PMed you about searching for subjects that are already being discussed. Read the PM please.
Do not start another topic without checking this. Thanks.

I dunno, just my feeling, but it's getting to the point where even I'm too intimidated to start a new thread for fear that someone will lambast me because the topic was briefly mentioned in June of '05.  

Now I've looked at all the threads pointed to here, and none of them are really about space games in general.  One is on Orbiter, one is specifically on one of simcosmos' projects in Orbiter, and one is about ShuttleSim.  It is great to point these out, and say "hey, you can read more about Orbiter here".  But if a new user is going to get publically stung for starting a thread, let's at least only sting him by making clear a damn obvious reason.  The discussion on this thread was going great until it was implied that it shouldn't exist.

This isn't an organized encyclopedia, it's a forum to chit-chat and to learn.  Seems to me the tolerance for informal discussion needs to be below the threshold of people thinking "don't bother posting to the NSF forums, just Google for it and come to your own conclusions".  I fear new users are going to get the wrong impression.

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
Zoomer30 - 21/4/2006  5:45 PM
It seems when ever I try to search for something on here it comes up with nothing.  Must not be doing it right.

I thought search was broken for a long time until I realized that the "Date Limit" field is set by default to "since last login".  Be sure to change that field to "All Posts".

Offline josh_simonson

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2
"Your congress wheedling skill has increased to level 7!"

Yay....

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston