Author Topic: The Falcon 9 v1.1 DSCOVR & RECOVER Party Thread  (Read 172280 times)

Offline TripD

• Peace
  • Liked: 851
  • Likes Given: 677
Re: The Falcon 9 v1.1 DSCOVR & RECOVER Party Thread
« Reply #40 on: 01/15/2015 01:20 am »
Did some reading up on the event of 11/11/11 or as it has come to be known as national Nigel Tufnel day.  Turns out, all you need to do is add dials on the rocket that go up to eleven and getting to the sun is suddenly no problemo.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #41 on: 01/15/2015 01:27 am »
I don't see why all the naysayers are naysaying regarding the second stage disposal in the sun issue. Sure, sure, delta/v and all that, but if the FAA wants it, it must be done! NASA faced a very similar issue (delta/v and time) regarding a manned visit to a NEO, but they solved it with the ARM mission plan; bring the asteroid to lunar orbit and do the mission there.

Therefore, the delta/v issue of getting the F9 stage to the sun is a false one, for it overlooks the obvious solution; use the ARM mission plan as a guideline, and instead of sending the 2nd stage to it, bring it to the second stage at L2.

There, problem solved! Y'all are just too conventional in your thinking....   

Hmm... that might be good for the SolarCity stocks. We could be onto something.

I never thought of that! Yes indeed, solar panels would indeed become far more productive...

This, of course, begs the question of how does one go about moving the solar prominence? There are both physical and legal challenges (the latter due to Blue Origin seeking to patent the big glowing thing.)

I think I prefer the sun to stay just where it is, thank you very much.  Besides, if it didn't work for Mohammed, I doubt something way bigger than a mountain is going to go to the second stage anyways.

Oh yea of little faith!
I can't see any reason why anyone would object to the sub being moved to L2. It'd be inspirational, and brighten our day.

As for how to do it, that's easy. Mr. Musk could simply use the chain of command method. It's best illustrated by a lieutenant given the job of raising a 100 foot flagpole, and all he has is a 50 foot rope. So, how does he raise that big, heavy flagpole? He yells, "Sergeant! Raise that flagpole!".

« Reply #42 on: 01/15/2015 02:13 am »
It can't be that hard. I've watched Western movies where the cowboys ride off into the sun all the time. Maybe it would help if they called this an Episode instead of a Mission.
--
Don Day

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #43 on: 01/15/2015 12:26 pm »
Well, some of Elon's tweets do seem like something out of a scifi episode ;)
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline ClayJar

• Baton Rouge, LA, USA
  • Liked: 1280
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #44 on: 01/15/2015 07:06 pm »
It seems some of the parties at the party may be overlooking one slight detail of the second stage being fired into the sun.  It *is* being disposed of into the sun; it's just going to take a while.  Specifically, it's being disposed of into the sun at its red giant stage... in about 7.6 billion years.  ;D

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #45 on: 01/15/2015 08:23 pm »
It seems some of the parties at the party may be overlooking one slight detail of the second stage being fired into the sun.  It *is* being disposed of into the sun; it's just going to take a while.  Specifically, it's being disposed of into the sun at its red giant stage... in about 7.6 billion years.  ;D

You forget a virtually certain encounter with earth in the future. After all, it crosses earth orbit. So it will encounter earth many times and eventually it will hit earth or the moon within the next 4 billion years. At that time, we might fish it out of the heavens and make a monument out of it :P

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2782
  • Likes Given: 1462
« Reply #46 on: 01/15/2015 09:25 pm »
Yep, SES-8 - my photos attached (I know they are not very good).

Not very good?  I'd say really cool, especially the first.  Thanks!

Offline cro-magnon gramps

• Very Ancient Martian National
  • Ontario, Canada
  • Liked: 843
  • Likes Given: 10995
« Reply #47 on: 01/15/2015 10:11 pm »
Yep, SES-8 - my photos attached (I know they are not very good).

Not very good?  I'd say really cool, especially the first.  Thanks!

Absolutely agree with Proponent, way cool.. I turned #2 into a screen background, calling it, Alien predator after it's prey...  ;D only on a Party Thread could I get away with posting something like this;

Gramps

edit, the only thing missing is the Enterprise, breaking the Prime Directive, again :)
« Last Edit: 01/15/2015 10:14 pm by cro-magnon gramps »
Gramps "Earthling by Birth, Martian by the grace of The Elon." ~ "Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but it has not solved one yet." Maya Angelou ~ Tony Benn: "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself."

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #48 on: 01/16/2015 02:58 am »

You forget a virtually certain encounter with earth in the future. After all, it crosses earth orbit. So it will encounter earth many times and eventually it will hit earth or the moon within the next 4 billion years. At that time, we might fish it out of the heavens and make a monument out of it :P

Yes but its material will remain on earth in some form (probably), so the disposal still occurs!

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #49 on: 01/16/2015 09:13 am »

Or there's the billion-to-one shot that it gains enough energy from a close approach to Earth that it ends up well away from the Earth-Moon system's orbit. Over millions of years, with all those chaotic perturbations and encounters with unknown objects and space environmental conditions, absolutely anything could happen. But we digress...

Uh... So, how about that Falcon-9, huh?
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #50 on: 01/16/2015 03:20 pm »
After Elon tweeted out pics of the hard landing from CRS-5:

Well, ULA wished them luck:

https://twitter.com/torybruno/status/556107191887732738

Tory Bruno
@elonmusk @TrampolinRocket Almost.  Good luck next time.  I still have people from DCX.  Let me know if we can help

I can just see the headlines now.
BBC: ULA to let SpaceX crash experimental craft.
Yahoo: ULA to attack SpaceX ship with DCX
Huffpost: ULA chief claims to keep engineers locked up in secret Washington facility (DCX).  Wiling to loan them out to Musk.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline TOG

• Near Chicago, Illinois
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #51 on: 01/16/2015 03:42 pm »

Tory Bruno
@elonmusk @TrampolinRocket Almost.  Good luck next time.  I still have people from DCX.  Let me know if we can help

Huffpost: ULA chief claims to keep engineers locked up in secret Washington facility (DCX).  Wiling to loan them out to Musk.
You missed one -
From Russian News Agency:  Secret American program to sink barges exposed!  Started as "DCX" program and was renamed to space based ballistic program "SpaceX".  Demonstrated accuracy underscores threat to Atlantic Shipping!
M's Laws of Aerodynamics:                                    On Physics Exam:
1) if you push anything hard enough it will fly          Q)The allegory of Schrödinger's cat shows what?
2) if you stop pushing it stops flying                        A)That Shrödinger was a sadistic cat hater

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #52 on: 01/16/2015 04:16 pm »
Don't you mean barges in the Volga instead of the Atlantic?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline MarekCyzio

« Reply #53 on: 01/16/2015 06:36 pm »

You forgot news from Poland - "Pope blesses SpaceX barge to prevent another explosion"

Offline Prober

• Save the spin....I'm keeping you honest!
  • Nevada
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 729
« Reply #54 on: 01/16/2015 11:25 pm »

So we're going to go for it with this one and see how much we can handle.

No problem I will just need to spice up this Amazon* buy...

Let's talk recovery wooooo

http://tinyurl.com/obfkg97
2017 - Everything Old is New Again.
"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant..." --Isoroku Yamamoto

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #55 on: 01/17/2015 12:11 am »
"DSCOVR and Recover: SpaceX chase the cigar with next Falcon 9 mission"

I want to say this is one of the best headlines to date on NSF...

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #56 on: 01/17/2015 01:12 am »
"DSCOVR and Recover: SpaceX chase the cigar with next Falcon 9 mission"

I want to say this is one of the best headlines to date on NSF...

I'm sure El Supremo will be amused.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline ericspittle

• Binghamton, NY
  • Liked: 96
  • Likes Given: 185
« Reply #57 on: 01/17/2015 02:08 am »

Tory Bruno

NK: Glroious Leader Destroys Capitalist Pig Inferior Rocket: Imperialists Impotent to Defend Weakened Nation

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #58 on: 01/17/2015 04:13 am »
Over in the ASDS thread, quite a few people are making suggestions on how to change the guidance software, hardware, etc, to enable the F9 to land better, or abort if it can't land, etc. Those aren't really to do with ASDS specifically, but more F9/Discovr related, so I'll make my suggestions here;

If we take a close look at the landing scenario, it becomes obvious that a great deal of the difficulty lies in the F9 having to navigate through such demanding flight regimes )going from supersonic to transsonic to subsonic, dealing with thickening atmosphere during decent, etc.). So, it seems to me that it'd be easier, as well as safer, if the ASDS met the F9 at a different point in the landing process, instead of at the end. For example, one could omit the boostback and some of the braking burns if ASDS was waiting at the reentry interface. This would also lessen the fire risk. (It's entirely possible that the ASDS's existing thrustmasters wouldn't provide quite enough thrust to achieve this, so they may need to mount some Merlins on ASDS.) 

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #59 on: 01/17/2015 04:16 am »
Over in the ASDS thread, quite a few people are making suggestions on how to change the guidance software, hardware, etc, to enable the F9 to land better, or abort if it can't land, etc. Those aren't really to do with ASDS specifically, but more F9/Discovr related, so I'll make my suggestions here;

If we take a close look at the landing scenario, it becomes obvious that a great deal of the difficulty lies in the F9 having to navigate through such demanding flight regimes )going from supersonic to transsonic to subsonic, dealing with thickening atmosphere during decent, etc.). So, it seems to me that it'd be easier, as well as safer, if the ASDS met the F9 at a different point in the landing process, instead of at the end. For example, one could omit the boostback and some of the braking burns if ASDS was waiting at the reentry interface. This would also lessen the fire risk. (It's entirely possible that the ASDS's existing thrustmasters wouldn't provide quite enough thrust to achieve this, so they may need to mount some Merlins on ASDS.) 

But...but... Merlins need fuel. You'd also need to add some fuel tanks. Those are large, so in order to get ASDS back down, you'd need four to six barges where ASDS (with the Falcon landed) can land on.

I suspect this would get somewhat complicated, so current plan, complexities of landing and all, is still probably slightly more optimal design.

;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography