Author Topic: Blue Origin Announces Advisory Board  (Read 2472 times)

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1931
  • Likes Given: 1278
« Last Edit: 12/01/2020 04:08 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8586
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: Blue Origin Announces Advisory Board
« Reply #1 on: 12/01/2020 03:11 pm »
Blue Origin Announces Board of Advisors

Board Features Renowned Leaders in the Space Industry

Blue Origin today announced the formation of its Board of Advisors, which includes notable former government space leaders and industry executives. The Board will provide strategic counsel on the company’s mission to radically reduce the cost of access to space and the utilization of in-space resources. In doing so, the Board will further advance Blue Origin’s vision of millions of people living and working in space to benefit the Earth.

“We are so proud to have attracted this amazingly talented group of experts. This Board will help us drive our mission forward, provide us guidance on our key initiatives and serve as strategic advisors to our leadership team,” said Bob Smith, Chief Executive Officer of Blue Origin.

The Blue Origin Advisory Board members are:
The Honorable Kari A. Bingen – Former Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence and Security
Dr. Charles Elachi – Former Director, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Dr. Dan Hastings – Aeronautics and Astronautics Department Head, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and former Chief Scientist, U.S. Air Force
Major General Sue Mashiko, USAF (Ret.) – Former Deputy Director, National Reconnaissance Office
Todd May – Senior Vice President, Space and Mission Solutions, KBR and former Director, NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
Bill Smith – Former President, Primex Technologies Aerospace Division
The Honorable Heather Wilson – President, University of Texas at El Paso, former Secretary of the U.S. Air Force, and former Member, U.S. House of Representatives

https://www.blueorigin.com/news/blue-origin-announces-board-of-advisors
« Last Edit: 12/01/2020 04:08 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »
Jacques :-)

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2429
  • Likes Given: 10297
« Reply #2 on: 12/01/2020 03:26 pm »
It seems that Blue doesn't need any more advisors, or shouldn't need any more advisors. So this is probably just a marketing thing. Reeks of payola.
« Last Edit: 12/01/2020 04:09 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10208
  • Likes Given: 11945
« Reply #3 on: 12/01/2020 03:36 pm »
I commented on this topic over at Space News, and essentially what I said was that it is too early to tell if these are the right advisors.

This group of people may be good at positioning companies for getting more government contracts, but that should NOT be the company that Blue Origin wants to grow into. They are owned by the richest capitalist on Earth, so money should not be an issue. Government contracts should be a way of learning and gaining capabilities, not a way to make money.

And I'm not sure any of these advisors would tell Blue Origin management that they need to go faster, because that is what I think they need to hear.

On the Blue Origin website they say their mission is:
We're committed to building a road to space so our children can build the future.

I think they need to learn how to build those roads faster. Jeff Bezos isn't getting any younger...  ;)
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1961
  • Likes Given: 1151
« Reply #4 on: 12/01/2020 03:41 pm »
I commented on this topic over at Space News, and essentially what I said was that it is too early to tell if these are the right advisors.

This group of people may be good at positioning companies for getting more government contracts, but that should NOT be the company that Blue Origin wants to grow into. They are owned by the richest capitalist on Earth, so money should not be an issue. Government contracts should be a way of learning and gaining capabilities, not a way to make money.

And I'm not sure any of these advisors would tell Blue Origin management that they need to go faster, because that is what I think they need to hear.

On the Blue Origin website they say their mission is:
We're committed to building a road to space so our children can build the future.

I think they need to learn how to build those roads faster. Jeff Bezos isn't getting any younger...  ;)
There is nothing wrong with making money on government contracts as long as it is done ethically.  If they provide a service the government wants and they compete for it within the rules, more power to them.

Offline Frogstar_Robot

• Liked: 723
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #5 on: 12/01/2020 05:29 pm »
I can't help thinking that "forming a committee" is not a great way forward. Seems to indicate a lack of vision from the leader.

Rule 1: Be civil. Respect other members.
Rule 3: No "King of the Internet" attitudes.

Online punder

• Liked: 1827
  • Likes Given: 1438
« Reply #6 on: 12/01/2020 05:34 pm »
Connections, connections, connections. The elites be networkin’.

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5382
« Reply #7 on: 12/01/2020 06:33 pm »
That sure seems like a lot of intelligence/military centric advisors.

Here's my unsolicited advice to Blue. Get to orbit before you're 30th anniversary.
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1931
  • Likes Given: 1278
« Reply #8 on: 12/01/2020 07:20 pm »
Blue really needs to take a good long look at what they want to be.

Do they want to be a company that is transformative to access to space?

Or do they just want to be another government contractor?

Seems more and more like they are heading towards the latter, and taking on all of the bureaucratic and managerial bloat that comes with it. That bloat is absolutely going to kill any chance of achieving the goal of being a transformative company.

Offline Nibb31

• France
  • Liked: 177
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #9 on: 12/01/2020 08:09 pm »
A transformative company still needs a business plan. The government is still the biggest significant source of revenue.

Envoyé de mon CLT-L29 en utilisant Tapatalk

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography