Author Topic: Blue Origin continuing work on New Glenn launch complex, support facilities  (Read 114300 times)

Offline Vahe231991

• 11 Canyon Terrace
  • Liked: 462
  • Likes Given: 199
Lack of any other place to put this:

https://twitter.com/SpaceX_Nerd/status/1707849685816263093
I've included this tweet in a newly created thread about the latest updates regarding development of the New Glenn rocket:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=59620.0

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14001
  • Likes Given: 1391
I think there's another shoe that will drop in the near future.

There's a new boss, and he's setting priorities. As part of the realignment, somewhere between "bright confident new beginning" and "it's not my fault it's his", they will roll all the known but denied schedule slips into the public schedule.

It's not even a bad thing. It's normal and logical for the public facing schedule to be a bit detached from reality. Happens everywhere, since that schedule is used for fundraising, customer acquisition, troop rallying...

The only time when that dynamic is reversed is when there's a change of the guard. The new guy comes in, goes through his "investigative phase", discovers what he already knows, airs it out, and now the reset is complete.  Even the troops feel better.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80381
  • Likes Given: 36361
https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1726234148027904337

The transporter erector that will be used to test Blue Origin's New Glenn upper stages has rolled back down the ramp at LC-36. This may be a sign that more testing of tankage may begin soon.

The move was first spotted in @umbraspace imagery yesterday.

This was later confirmed from views of @NASASpaceflight's Space Coast Live stream: youtube.com/live/Jm8wRjD3x

https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1726234181704077474

It appears that the structure may now be sitting at the base of the ramp, outside of the hangar.

There are also some signs of land clearing at the northern end of the launch complex, near where Blue have tested previous New Glenn upper stage tank sections.

https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1726238123645145465

And an optical shot of the launch complex from 2023-10-29, because why not 🤓

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9165
  • Likes Given: 38
https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1726234148027904337

The transporter erector that will be used to test Blue Origin's New Glenn upper stages has rolled back down the ramp at LC-36. This may be a sign that more testing of tankage may begin soon.

The move was first spotted in @umbraspace imagery yesterday.

This was later confirmed from views of @NASASpaceflight's Space Coast Live stream: youtube.com/live/Jm8wRjD3x

https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1726234181704077474

It appears that the structure may now be sitting at the base of the ramp, outside of the hangar.

There are also some signs of land clearing at the northern end of the launch complex, near where Blue have tested previous New Glenn upper stage tank sections.

https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1726238123645145465

And an optical shot of the launch complex from 2023-10-29, because why not 🤓
Boilerplate first stage is out of the hanger and on the apron, maybe after several years it'll finally make its way onto the pad and even vertical?

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 2746
  • Likes Given: 1844
In the latest imagery (see here) both of the simulator stages are now either gone, or inside of the hangar. So, maybe integration time? :)

Offline Rocket Rancher

• Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 55
For what its worth, road closure notice for Space Commerce Way tomorrow between 9 and 10 am given today. Movement of BO hardware/material the reason. No other information given. Maybe a photo Op or 2 in the morning? No guarantees.

Online Robert_the_Doll

• Florida
  • Liked: 1246
  • Likes Given: 440

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8147
  • Likes Given: 7430
« Last Edit: 01/11/2024 09:30 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8147
  • Likes Given: 7430
I have a question about the apparatus on the right (Circled in RED) of the second stage, which appears again next to the booster and the apparatus outside (Circle in GREEN) on the ramp. What are both?
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rakietwawka2021

• Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 142
The red one is TE, and the green one is mini-TE

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3085
  • Likes Given: 3818
The angle of the upper stage engine photo may contribute to the scale, but those nozzles are GIGANTIC!

New Glenn can be a real beast once it's flying.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline spacenut

• East Alabama
  • Liked: 2587
  • Likes Given: 2895
Aren't the BE-3U upper stage engines supposed to give around 100,000 lbs thrust? 200,000 lbs for both.  Also high ISP due to using hydrolox. 

Offline Rakietwawka2021

• Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 142
The angle of the upper stage engine photo may contribute to the scale, but those nozzles are GIGANTIC!

As far as I remember, BE3U is bigger than Raptor Vacuum

Offline whitelancer64

As far as I remember, BE3U is bigger than Raptor Vacuum

IIRC - Raptor Vac, RS-25 / SSME, and BE-3U are all approximately the same size. However, I don't think I have seen (and quick google isn't finding) a direct size comparison chart.  I'll attach a couple of pictures.

But yes, BE-3U has a large engine bell.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80381
  • Likes Given: 36361
https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1756319335470260460

Blue Origin has submitted updated permitting plans for LC-36 which include the addition of an "MKX Test Stand Area".

In the latest @NASASpaceflight KSC Flyover we noted the new concrete pad and how it may be the new test site for Blue's Clipper program:

Addition of the LC-11 MKX Test Stand Area (site identifier 60) which includes a Vertical Transport System (VTS) on a concrete pad, commodity tank on a concrete pad, vaporizers on concrete pads, dump pond, power supply building, flare stack, cross-country piping and piping supports, roadway utility trench, lightning protection towers, a gravel parking area for storage of tanker trucks, and supporting controls skids and power supply enclosures on concrete pads.

Offline deltaV

• Change in velocity
  • Liked: 576
  • Likes Given: 1906

Nozzle exit area is approximately proportional to thrust times area ratio divided by chamber pressure. Engines designed solely for use in upper stages almost always have high area ratio and often have low chamber pressure. Engines designed for first stages need low area ratio and high chamber pressure to keep the atmosphere from reducing thrust too much. Therefore upper stage nozzles are a lot bigger than nozzles of first stage engines with the same thrust.

Offline nalawod

• Cocoa Beach FL
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 5
New Glenn (test article) on the pad overnight and today as seen from Cocoa Beach. Can't wait to see this behemoth fly but I'm guessing I might see Starship first ;-)
I wasn't sure if this is where to post.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography