Author Topic: Corn Ranch (Van Horn, Tx)  (Read 13657 times)

Offline Tywin

Corn Ranch (Van Horn, Tx)
« on: 08/05/2019 03:03 am »
This a huge land that has Blue Origin in Texas, in this moment, is a small spaceport for the suborbital rocket, New Shepard...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_Ranch

In a future, IF Blue need a second launch pad, o third pad, could be using this tiny spaceport, like a orbital spaceport, for the New Glenn o New Armstrong?

Which could be the future the this facility?

« Last Edit: 08/05/2019 03:08 am by Tywin »
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3428
  • Likes Given: 741
Re: Corn Ranch (Van Horn, Tx)
« Reply #1 on: 08/05/2019 12:11 pm »
This a huge land that has Blue Origin in Texas, in this moment, is a small spaceport for the suborbital rocket, New Shepard...

In a future, IF Blue need a second launch pad, o third pad, could be using this tiny spaceport, like a orbital spaceport, for the New Glenn o New Armstrong?

The Van Horn facility could grow to become like MacGregor is for SpaceX, ie a large-scale test facility, but it can never become an orbital spaceport. There's a reason that all U.S. orbital launch sites are located on ocean coastlines, and orbital flights launch over ocean water instead of land. That's not going to change any time soon.

Offline DistantTemple

• England
  • Liked: 1693
  • Likes Given: 2808
« Reply #2 on: 08/05/2019 12:20 pm »

The Van Horn facility could grow to become like MacGregor is for SpaceX, ie a large-scale test facility, but it can never become an orbital spaceport. There's a reason that all U.S. orbital launch sites are located on ocean coastlines, and orbital flights launch over ocean water instead of land. That's not going to change any time soon.
Changes may be quicker! In the 39A Environmental Assessment for SH/SS, the SS is planned to deorbit from the West, and descend across the Florida panhandle to land at 39A OK the EA is not the critical document for permission for this, but it indicates progress towards such a landing.
We can always grow new new dendrites. Reach out and make connections and your world will burst with new insights. Then repose in consciousness.

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 363
  • Likes Given: 742
« Reply #3 on: 08/05/2019 12:28 pm »
I would like to add that the map is deceiving with its blue color south of Texas border. Van Horn is close to the Mexican border, not really a costal location.

Offline tleski

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 363
  • Likes Given: 742
« Reply #4 on: 08/05/2019 12:32 pm »
Changes may be quicker! In the 39A Environmental Assessment for SH/SS, the SS is planned to deorbit from the West, and descend across the Florida panhandle to land at 39A OK the EA is not the critical document for permission for this, but it indicates progress towards such a landing.
I think there rules for re-entries are different than the ones for launches. Space shuttle was routinely reentering over continental US.

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 2033
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #5 on: 08/05/2019 12:34 pm »
I would like to add that the map is deceiving with its blue color south of Texas border. Van Horn is close to the Mexican border, not really a costal location.

For those also not well-versed in southern US geography, there is a whole bunch of Mexico all around Van Horn. Although even if they can't do orbital launches from there, it never hurts politically to have part of your rocket company in Texas.
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline Tywin

« Reply #6 on: 08/06/2019 01:29 am »

IF the P2P service of SpaceX is approved, maybe it's possible permit a orbital rocket takeoff over land...
The knowledge is power...Everything is connected...
The Turtle continues at a steady pace ...

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 2741
  • Likes Given: 1840
« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2019 07:22 am »
Someone requested some recent satellite imagery of this site.

Looks like a few minor additions to the south comapred to what's on Google Maps.

« Reply #8 on: 11/06/2019 11:53 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delaware_Mountains

This ranch also includes the Delaware Mountains, which are directly adjacent to Guadalupe Mountains National Park to the north. The Delaware Mountains have extensive outcrops of the Brushy Canyon Formation, one of the best exposed examples of an ancient submarine fan system. This Permian-aged submarine fan system was sourced from uplands and a marine reef system that are now exposed in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. These outcrops had been studied extensively by university and petroleum industry geologists, and were a world-class geological site, visited by many field trips and field schools. After Bezos purchased the ranch, access to these outcrops was abruptly cut off. There have been many attempts to contact Bezos, his lawyers, and the ranch staff to open access back up for continued study and education, but with no success.

I had hoped that the Blue Origin moves in Florida might portend reduced activity at the Van Horn site, and again open up access to the Delaware Mountains, but it’s continued use as a remote, private testing facility seems to make this impossible, at least in the near future.

Any Blue Origin insiders who might be reading this: please let Mr. Bezos know that providing access to the northern part of the ranch for geological studies, far away from the test site out in the basin, would have zero impact on his operations, would be excellent PR, and would provide students and researchers with a world-class learning experience.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 456
« Reply #9 on: 11/07/2019 01:25 pm »

Looks like a few minor additions to the south comapred to what's on Google Maps.

Not "South Texas" though. Very, very West Texas.

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #10 on: 11/07/2019 10:54 pm »

Not "South Texas" though. Very, very West Texas.

My mistake, I must have been thinking about Boca Chica too much at that time  ;)

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #11 on: 12/11/2019 01:48 pm »
With the flight coming up today I thought I do a quick gif of any changes. Not much that I can see but still cool  :)

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2490
  • Likes Given: 2178
« Reply #12 on: 02/21/2021 06:35 pm »
Thread is a tad dusty, but works fine for my purposes. I have failed to come up with a map that shows the boundaries of Corn Ranch. Can anyone point me to an outline?

Offline kendalla59

• Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #13 on: 02/21/2021 09:26 pm »
Thread is a tad dusty, but works fine for my purposes. I have failed to come up with a map that shows the boundaries of Corn Ranch. Can anyone point me to an outline?

You can search for the land on the Culberson County CAD web site. It's listed under "Zefram LLC", named after a Star Trek character.

https://maps.pandai.com/culbersoncad/?find=4034

Blue Origin, his space company, also has kept a low profile, even though space is one of his main passions and now comprises, as he has said, “the most important work I’m doing.” That included not revealing a 2011 crash until urged to by NASA, which had begun to worry about conspiracy theories spreading among those who noticed that something had gone awry.

In the early 2000s, Bezos started quietly acquiring hundreds of thousands of acres in West Texas, where Blue Origin now launches its New Shepard rocket. He purchased the land under corporate entities named for explorers. There was Joliet Holdings and Cabot Enterprises, the James Cook and William Clark Limited Partnerships and Coronado Ventures.

All were linked to a firm with a Seattle post office called Zefram LLC, named for Zefram Cochrane, a character in the Star Trek franchise. As he was scouting the land, a helicopter carrying Bezos crash-landed in a creek, flooding the cabin with water before he and others could escape. Later, he would say that “it was harrowing. We were very lucky. I can’t believe we all walked away from it.”

At the time, Amazon downplayed the crash, saying only that Bezos “is fine. We’re business as usual.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/jeff-bezos-long-known-for-guarding-his-privacy-faces-his-most-public-and-personal-crisis/2019/02/08/8e130a82-2bd4-11e9-97b3-ae59fbae7960_story.html

Offline Nomadd

• Seoul
  • Liked: 60369
  • Likes Given: 1293
« Reply #14 on: 02/22/2021 05:04 am »
 I use to have a microwave site in those hills. Before the great 2GHz spectrum slaughter in the late 90s.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #15 on: 03/19/2023 06:53 pm »
I was surprised nobody has a map labeled with locations of stuff. As noted, there are a number of other small buildings / facilities and cleared ground scattered around the site. Interesting is a scrapyard just to the east of the New Shepard Integration Hangar.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Rakietwawka2021

• Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #16 on: 03/19/2023 08:30 pm »
I saw a map of Corn Ranch with marked all capsule landing points and booster crash site, but I don't have a link to this map anymore

Offline harrystranger

• Brisbane, Australia
« Reply #17 on: 03/20/2023 08:22 am »
I saw a map of Corn Ranch with marked all capsule landing points and booster crash site, but I don't have a link to this map anymore
You may be thinking of the maps I made :) Here are links to two different sites:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1rVNJphDWfkNr25PvGNp8p5ekijpspaf0&usp=sharing
https://felt.com/map/Blue-Origins-Corn-Ranch-hDmTaXM4TAuo6iLj7KPAEB?lat=31.435916&lon=-104.751836&zoom=13.31

I'm also working on a more 'traditional' site map. Stay tuned :)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80124
  • Likes Given: 36283
« Reply #18 on: 04/22/2023 01:32 pm »
https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1649764902381424642

New satellite imagery of Blue Origin's West Texas facilities shows that the BE-4 test stand may have recently received a propellant storage upgrade. A new ~40 meter long tank now sits near the engine test stand.

The tank arrived at the site between March 7 & 10, before being moved over with existing tanks between March 21 and 24.

https://twitter.com/harry__stranger/status/1649764928188997632

This is the area where the tank now sits.
twitter.com/torybruno/stat…

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography