Author Topic: Blue Origin fleet  (Read 159400 times)

Offline Alvian@IDN

Re: Blue Origin fleet
« Reply #460 on: 12/09/2022 09:36 pm »
Sorry to break the conversation.... but.... does anyone know what is happening with the development of the landing barge for New Glenn?
Jacklyn was scrapped in favor of SpaceX-like droneship due to high cost
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline DrHeywoodFloyd

« Reply #461 on: 12/09/2022 09:54 pm »
Sorry to break the conversation.... but.... does anyone know what is happening with the development of the landing barge for New Glenn?

Thank you, but yeah, that is known... what is not known is the progress on the replacement of the former Stena Freighter, Jacklyn with a landing barge/droneship..

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1537099932926152704?s=20&t=ZDVQUpK3JQLNRneyYyHnRg

What is weird about this contract, is LAD Services, Amelia, Louisiana make no mention of New Glenn, and Blue Origin on their website...
https://ladcompanies.com/projects/

PS: I do not think that the  cost of Jacklyn was the problem, I think this issue was one of safety... having this large vehicle landing on a crewed ship, while still containing fuel that could be close to an explosive fuel/air mixture ...
« Last Edit: 12/09/2022 10:29 pm by DrHeywoodFloyd »

Offline Alvian@IDN

« Reply #462 on: 12/10/2022 02:57 am »

Thank you, but yeah, that is known... what is not known is the progress on the replacement of the former Stena Freighter, Jacklyn with a landing barge/droneship..

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1537099932926152704?s=20&t=ZDVQUpK3JQLNRneyYyHnRg

What is weird about this contract, is LAD Services, Amelia, Louisiana make no mention of New Glenn, and Blue Origin on their website...

PS: I do not think that the  cost of Jacklyn was the problem, I think this issue was one of safety... having this large vehicle landing on a crewed ship, while still containing fuel that could be close to an explosive fuel/air mixture ...
The quoted source says otherwise
https://twitter.com/Michael10711597/status/1537294722485538817?t=iECtxgjQe9Sgc63svJ-BnA&s=19
My parents was just being born when the Apollo program is over. Why we are still stuck in this stagnation, let's go forward again

Offline Rakietwawka2021

• Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #463 on: 12/10/2022 09:32 am »

Jacklyn would be an autonomous vessel

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80295
  • Likes Given: 36334
« Reply #464 on: 02/04/2023 06:12 pm »
https://twitter.com/thejackbeyer/status/1621946038104776705

Scrapping of Jacklyn, Blue Origin's former prospective rocket booster recovery vessel is well underway in the Port of Brownsville. @NASASpaceflight

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 864
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #465 on: 02/27/2023 04:42 am »
Scrapping of Jacklyn, Blue Origin's former prospective rocket booster recovery vessel is well underway in the Port of Brownsville. @NASASpaceflight

Sad, but inevitable.  She was a nice looking ship  :'(

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline DrHeywoodFloyd

« Reply #466 on: 02/27/2023 09:05 am »
"The Past is a foreign Country, They do things Differently there..."

Out with the Old... and in with the new... any news of the barge that will be the sea based landing pad for New Glenn?

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 612
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #467 on: 02/27/2023 02:45 pm »
Is there any possibility that BO will RTLS the first stage rather than a sea recovery? No LZ under construction, yet, and if there were to be an LZ, where would it be located? (Any chance they could use the old shuttle runway in lieu of a dedicated LZ?)

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #468 on: 02/27/2023 03:26 pm »
Is there any possibility that BO will RTLS the first stage rather than a sea recovery? No LZ under construction, yet, and if there were to be an LZ, where would it be located? (Any chance they could use the old shuttle runway in lieu of a dedicated LZ?)
I think using SpaceX's LZ is more probable than using the Shuttle runway. SpaceX demonstrated what happens to most concrete if you point the flamey end of a rocket directly at it, I seriously doubt the Shuttle runway will handle that any better.

Offline SDSmith

• Danny Smith
  • Sugar Hill
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #469 on: 02/27/2023 04:06 pm »
I think using SpaceX's LZ is more probable than using the Shuttle runway. SpaceX demonstrated what happens to most concrete if you point the flamey end of a rocket directly at it, I seriously doubt the Shuttle runway will handle that any better.
Using the shuttle runway would/could over fly 39A/B which would not be allowed.

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #470 on: 02/27/2023 08:47 pm »

SpaceX LZ-1 and Blue Origin's launch site at LC-36 are about 1 mile from each other. I've said before I think LZ-1 would be a great dual use site if SpaceX is OK with it, since SpaceX uses the droneships for most launches.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 431
« Reply #471 on: 02/28/2023 09:10 pm »
If memory serves when the LZ site was first leased to SpaceX it was reported that a requirement of the lease is that they allow use by other companies.

Devil in the details of course.

Note I can't find a reference so ... grain of salt.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography