Author Topic: Interview with Senator Cruz on Space Exploration  (Read 21680 times)

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
Re: Interview with Senator Cruz on Space Exploration
« Reply #40 on: 01/22/2015 01:57 am »
Way back in 2007-2008. Obama has had many chances to do so and has not, so it's pretty lame for you to bring that up.

Well, it's still the case that the administration sees spaceflight as an adjunct to STEM education. It's not about actually doing anything in space, it's about inspiring the kiddies.

I disagree; this administration wanted to move NASA more toward technology development. Congress disagreed and they didn't see it as worthwhile to fight for the change they wanted.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #41 on: 01/22/2015 03:26 am »
I disagree; this administration wanted to move NASA more toward technology development. Congress disagreed and they didn't see it as worthwhile to fight for the change they wanted.

That's true, I totally forgot about the attempt to turn NASA into a "clean energy" development center.

Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #42 on: 01/22/2015 10:55 am »

That's true, I totally forgot about the attempt to turn NASA into a "clean energy" development center.

That's also false; they wanted NASA to concentrate on the next generation of technologies needed for interplanetary flight rather than a huge rocket.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2015 10:58 am by JBF »
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #43 on: 01/22/2015 11:20 am »
That's also false; they wanted NASA to concentrate on the next generation of technologies needed for interplanetary flight rather than a huge rocket.

Who did? Bobby Braun quit because all the pressure was to direct NASA technology development away from spaceflight.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3065
« Reply #44 on: 01/22/2015 01:55 pm »

Who did? Bobby Braun quit because all the pressure was to direct NASA technology development away from spaceflight.

That's the first time that I have heard that. Do you have a source for that?

Offline yg1968

« Reply #45 on: 01/22/2015 02:00 pm »

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #46 on: 01/22/2015 02:48 pm »

That's the first time that I have heard that. Do you have a source for that?

It was because of a lack of funding, but QG's point maybe the reason for the lack of funding.

http://nasawatch.com/archives/2011/09/nasa-cto-bobby.html

Offline vulture4

• Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #47 on: 01/22/2015 03:54 pm »

One of the major projects funded by President Obama under the Space Technology Program was an orbital flight demonstration of a cryogenic propellant depot which is vital for practical BEO flight. It was defunded and downgraded to some ground tests because Congress transferred the money to SLS.

Also, Mr. Obama did not propose defunding NASA to fund education. He proposed a five year delay in the Constellation program. There was no proposal to delay commercial crew or technology development.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2015 04:27 pm by vulture4 »

Offline yg1968

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
« Reply #49 on: 01/23/2015 12:05 am »
.. and Mike Gazarik, the current Chief Technology Officer at NASA, just left too.

http://www.ballaerospace.com/page.jsp?page=30&id=619

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #50 on: 01/23/2015 01:25 am »
Here is another article on Mars by the Hill:
http://thehill.com/policy/230365-mission-to-mars-moving-at-the-speed-of-congress
Well now it's time to walk the talk and fully fund the technology we need to get to Mars, Habs landers etc... I'll be watching the GOP...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography