Author Topic: Cygnus OA-8 Launch Viewing Area  (Read 11864 times)

Offline FXM

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 13
Cygnus OA-8 Launch Viewing Area
« on: 11/07/2017 08:24 pm »
Greetings

Wondering if anyone might know if Arbuckle Neck Road will be closed for this launch?
Planning on heading down Friday evening.

Thanks
FXM
« Last Edit: 11/07/2017 08:27 pm by FXM »

Offline grythumn

• Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 246
Re: Cygnus OA-8 Launch Viewing Area
« Reply #1 on: 11/07/2017 11:11 pm »
Greetings

Wondering if anyone might know if Arbuckle Neck Road will be closed for this launch?

Thanks
FXM

I haven't found a notice for it. The refuge is closed for the launch: https://www.fws.gov/refuge/chincoteague/

Pretty much my plans.

-R C

Offline Ilikeboosterrockets

• Liked: 88
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #2 on: 11/09/2017 04:13 pm »
Does anybody know the visibility of Antares from far away (~100 miles) in the daytime? It'll be over the horizon by about 10 degrees I think but I don't know if it'll be bright enough
« Last Edit: 11/09/2017 04:13 pm by Ilikeboosterrockets »

Offline grythumn

« Reply #3 on: 11/09/2017 04:44 pm »
Does anybody know the visibility of Antares from far away (~100 miles) in the daytime? It'll be over the horizon by about 10 degrees I think but I don't know if it'll be bright enough

I don't know.

Here's the official viewing chart:

My guess is no, as it's launching more or less into the sunrise, but if you're far enough north or south it might work? I've only tried to view these from close by, myself.

-Bob

Offline Freddie

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: 11/09/2017 08:21 pm »
Greetings

Thanks
FXM

An Accomack County official has stated that Arbuckle Neck Road will be closed for viewing of the Antares launch.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #5 on: 11/09/2017 08:36 pm »
Greetings

Thanks
FXM

An Accomack County official has stated that Arbuckle Neck Road will be closed for viewing of the Antares launch.

I never got to watch one from Arbuckle Neck Rd, and from the sounds of it those days are probably over. I guess plan B for now is the old NASA ferry dock.

Offline Striker-tech

• Eastern Shore, Maryland, USA
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: 11/09/2017 09:10 pm »

I never got to watch one from Arbuckle Neck Rd, and from the sounds of it those days are probably over. I guess plan B for now is the old NASA ferry dock.

With any luck, I'll see you there.  My fallback is nearby the Assawoman post office trailer; at least you can see the Antares roughly ten seconds after ignition from that distance.

After today's survey run (I live in Easton, about 95 miles as the crow flies from Wallops Island), it's my personal observation that Accomack County doesn't want the hassle of extracting numerous vehicles from the farm fields along Arbuckle Neck Rd.  That thing is a true single-track lane, with zero public parking.  The end of the road runs right into Oyster Bay (where I took the acompanying shot), and I had to step carefully amongst the beer bottles, wine bottles and other debris littering the spot.  I chose to reverse the 1/4 mile back up the lane to get to a safer spot for a three-point turn.

Got to admit, it's a helluva view:

Offline FXM

« Reply #7 on: 11/09/2017 10:42 pm »
Knew it would be a long shot for Arbuckle Neck Road, I have never been to the Ferry dock but I plan on getting to the spot early. I have a 4 hour drive not too bad.

Here's hoping for a launch and no delays. :-)

FXM

Offline FXM

« Reply #8 on: 11/09/2017 10:50 pm »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fxmurphy/14646845574/in/album-72157645262118800/

Last time I saw a launch from Arbuckle it was 2014, you may want to turn your sound down. :-)

I have not been down since so I cannot wait.
« Last Edit: 11/09/2017 10:55 pm by FXM »

Offline donnstewart

« Reply #9 on: 11/09/2017 11:46 pm »
Greetings

Thanks
FXM

I went to Arbuckle Neck for the 2014 Antares launch -- the scrub the day before it blew up (missed that). Where is the old NASA ferry dock? Is it at the end of 730 (Pierce Taylor Road)? I also see Wright's Restaurant is a place. Is Wishart's Point possible?
« Last Edit: 11/09/2017 11:50 pm by donnstewart »

Offline Svenry

• Eastern Pennsylvania
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #10 on: 11/10/2017 12:19 am »
Knew it would be a long shot for Arbuckle Neck Road, I have never been to the Ferry dock but I plan on getting to the spot early. I have a 4 hour drive not too bad.

Here's hoping for a launch and no delays. :-)

FXM

4 hours for me as well. I was at the ferry dock last year. I got there ~5 hours ahead of T-0 last year, which turned out to be much earlier than needed (it was my first launch). I'm assuming it will fill up more slowly this time due to the temperature, however it is a Saturday.

Offline grythumn

« Reply #11 on: 11/10/2017 02:19 am »
For reference, jmsjr's excellent map:

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

-Bob

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #12 on: 11/10/2017 09:23 am »
Jacques :-)

Offline Freddie

« Reply #13 on: 11/10/2017 11:58 am »

With any luck, I'll see you there.  My fallback is nearby the Assawoman post office trailer; at least you can see the Antares roughly ten seconds after ignition from that distance.

After today's survey run (I live in Easton, about 95 miles as the crow flies from Wallops Island), it's my personal observation that Accomack County doesn't want the hassle of extracting numerous vehicles from the farm fields along Arbuckle Neck Rd.  That thing is a true single-track lane, with zero public parking.  The end of the road runs right into Oyster Bay (where I took the acompanying shot), and I had to step carefully amongst the beer bottles, wine bottles and other debris littering the spot.  I chose to reverse the 1/4 mile back up the lane to get to a safer spot for a three-point turn.

Got to admit, it's a helluva view:

The following is written in a positive light to be very helpful and to give a better understanding.

A very knowledgeable and highly respected government official has provided information about why Arbuckle Neck Road is now closed when launches are to occur.

Arbuckle Neck Road is a narrow one-lane road in the area where people go to watch launches and where they park their vehicles.

When vehicles park along the shoulder of Arbuckle Neck Road, there is not always room for arriving or departing vehicles to adequately and promptly turn around.

Should there be an emergency of any kind, arrival and departure of emergency vehicles would be hindered.

Time is of the essence when responding to an emergency.  Seconds count

Thus, quite understandably, the Virginia State Police and the Virginia Department of Transportation have found it to be unsafe to accommodate vehicles parking along a narrow one-lane road in case there is a need for an emergency vehicle to quickly arrive and depart.

The nearby NASA VIP viewing area is unaffected due to its access being from a well marked, wide two-lane, paved roadway.

Readers are thanked for their understanding.  Each life is important.

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #14 on: 11/10/2017 01:53 pm »
Completely understand the VDOT decision.

My wife and I are making the 2.5 hour drive up to watch tomorrow's (hopefully) launch.  Haven't seen one up close before--at Wallops or anywhere else--so we want to make the best of it.

Given that Arbuckle Neck Rd will not be available, what are several next-best options that are almost as close?
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline Svenry

• Eastern Pennsylvania
« Reply #15 on: 11/10/2017 03:05 pm »

My wife and I are making the 2.5 hour drive up to watch tomorrow's (hopefully) launch.  Haven't seen one up close before--at Wallops or anywhere else--so we want to make the best of it.

Given that Arbuckle Neck Rd will not be available, what are several next-best options that are almost as close?

The old ferry dock, located west of the pad, is the closest the general public can get. It's 2.1 miles from the pad. The map that grythumn shared is a great resource:

For reference, jmsjr's excellent map:

http://goo.gl/maps/7SDDv

-Bob

Offline THJH

• Baltimore
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: 11/10/2017 04:26 pm »

The old ferry dock, located west of the pad, is the closest the general public can get. It's 2.1 miles from the pad. The map that grythumn shared is a great resource:

It's my first launch viewing...Is there enough parking spots? how long in advance should I be there?
Thanks

Offline Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 909
  • Likes Given: 1289
« Reply #17 on: 11/10/2017 05:09 pm »
Thanks, Sverny.  I had seen his very nice map up thread and just wanted to verify that it’s the best viable spot. Plan to be there around 6.
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline grythumn

« Reply #18 on: 11/10/2017 06:30 pm »
It's a fairly small lot. I parked on the side of the road for the last launch I watched. Iirc, visitor center had twice as many spots, but fills up faster. Its further away but has bleachers and bathrooms.

Offline Svenry

• Eastern Pennsylvania
« Reply #19 on: 11/10/2017 07:46 pm »

It's my first launch viewing...Is there enough parking spots? how long in advance should I be there?
Thanks

Last year was my first launch. People just parked along the road. There's a small cement area between the road and the water, but that was politely kept clear of cars, which allowed plenty of space for people to gather and watch.

I'm not sure when most people will start arriving this year. It'll be a Saturday, but also early and freezing, so it's hard to say.

Here's the view looking up the road from the edge of the pier about an hour before launch last year:

Panning slightly to the right:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography