Author Topic: Lorentz force space propulsion  (Read 2475 times)

Offline StoyanNikolov

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Lorentz force space propulsion
« on: 01/26/2023 12:49 pm »
Hi. While browsing for Space propulsion, I,ve found the following article :

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228765779_Principle_and_Characteristic_of_Lorentz_Force_Propeller

More specific :

As shown in Figure 2, the conductor I0 gets through the coil L0, and they are fixed together and form a system. a is the main view and b is the left view. When there are time varying currents flowing through the conductor I0 and the coil L0 respectively, the moving electrically charged particles in the conductor I0 are located in the magnetic field generated by the coil L0 and their direc-tions are unparallel. The conductor I0 will be subjected to two Lorentz forces. One is the acting force that the cur- Figure 2. The operating principle of Lorentz Force Propel-ler rent-carrying conductor is subjected in the magnetic field generated by the current and the other is the acting force that it is subjected in the magnetic field generated by the induced electric field. For the above-mentioned system, the former acting force is an internal force of the system. Its reacting force is the Lorentz force that the coil wind-ing is subjected in the magnetic field generated by the current-carrying conductor. Since the conductor I0 and the coil L0 are fixed together, the couple of acting force and reacting force can’t make any relative movement between the conductor I0 and the coil L0. So the relative position between them is also unchanged. The latter act-ing force is an external force of the system and it hasn’t any reacting force.

When the current-carrying conductor I0 moves under the action of the force, the coil L0 will be driven and move together with the conductor. Therefore, the system achieves propulsion.

Do you think it is true. Thank you.

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1235
  • Likes Given: 530
Re: Lorentz force space propulsion
« Reply #1 on: 01/26/2023 04:25 pm »
Do you think it is true. Thank you.

No.

For one thing, it violates momentum conservation. For another, the paper doesn't show any math other than Maxwell's equations and those only in passing. Instead the author uses a lot of hand waving and terms that are meant to sound technical.

This is an electromagnetic version of the standard oscillating weight reactionless drive that keeps coming back like the seasonal flu.

The crucial fallacy is that by fastening the coil and right-angle conductor together you will prevent the conductor from moving under the influence of the coil's magnetic field so its motion will transfer to the entire system and it'll go flying off into space with no nasty exhaust or inconvenient rocket equation. It won't. The system will deform or disintegrate. In either case, the system's center of gravity will not move even though the individual parts might.

The Lorentz Force is a red herring. The system is just a force producer applying force to a joined force recipient. Any force will do the same. It could be someone tied to an anvil in space pounding it with a hammer. The result would be the same. But Lorentz Force sounds sexier.
« Last Edit: 01/26/2023 04:25 pm by laszlo »

Tags: Lorent force 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography