Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Nusantara Satu (PSN VI)/GTO-1/SpaceIL : Feb. 21/22, 2019: Discussion  (Read 135202 times)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
[edit/gongora: originally posted in the SpaceIL temporary thread before we knew what launch it was on]

Secondary payload on the following is the only current listed flight actually flying in December per NSF schedule and there are 2 unfilled launch slots at SLC-40:

2018:
NET December - Arabsat 6A - Falcon Heavy - Kennedy LC-39A (or January 2019)

This was the other flight that caught my eye when I looked at the manifest.
There would be excess capacity on that flight given they are using a transfer orbit and not sub-direct/direct insertion.

Lunar Lander shown in the quoted post on what is likely its payload adapter for fit checks.

Israeli lunar lander built by IAI will be launched on December 2018 onboard a SpaceX launcher. Lunar landing - Februaty 13 2019.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 12:40 pm by gongora »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
[edit/gongora: originally posted in the SpaceIL temporary thread before we knew what launch it was on]

Secondary payload on the following is the only current listed flight actually flying in December per NSF schedule and there are 2 unfilled launch slots at SLC-40:

2018:

There would be excess capacity on that flight given they are using a transfer orbit and not sub-direct/direct insertion.

It would either require a payload adapter that could hold the big comsat on top or a comsat that is built to carry a secondary payload.  PSN VI was reportedly built to carry a secondary payload, just not this secondary payload.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 12:41 pm by gongora »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

2018:

It would either require a payload adapter that could hold the big comsat on top or a comsat that is built to carry a secondary payload.  PSN VI was reportedly built to carry a secondary payload, just not this secondary payload.
view my just edited post for linked quote to pictures of lander on processing or payload adapter.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

view my just edited post for linked quote to pictures of lander on processing or payload adapter.

That doesn't show how it would be stacked with a 6 ton comsat.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

That doesn't show how it would be stacked with a 6 ton comsat.
I know but Spaceflight showed a carbon fibre lattice cylinder a while back that could be used with Arabsat 6A on top. SpaceX is also developing there own in house multi-payload structures but their are no public pictures at this time.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

Per this article it will launch on a F9 into a 60,000km tightly elliptical parking orbit which will be expanded by the lander until capture in February 2019.

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news/.premium-first-israeli-spacecraft-to-the-moon-to-launch-in-december-1.6264356

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Per this article it appears that it will launch on a dedicated F9 into a 60,000km tightly elliptical parking orbit which will be expanded by the lander until capture in February 2019.

https://www.haaretz.com/amp/israel-news/.premium-first-israeli-spacecraft-to-the-moon-to-launch-in-december-1.6264356

I didn't see any mention of a dedicated launch in that article, and it said they only spent $88M on the project.

Offline Nehkara

Is there reason to believe this is not the Spaceflight GTO mission on the manifest?
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 12:42 pm by gongora »

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Is there reason to believe this is not the Spaceflight GTO mission on the manifest?

SSO-A has slipped an entire year now and I haven't really heard anything about the GTO mission in a while.  Have you seen anything about it actually launching this year?

Offline Nehkara

SSO-A has slipped an entire year now and I haven't really heard anything about the GTO mission in a while.  Have you seen anything about it actually launching this year?

Really just this.  This has been first indication.  It's basically a super-synchronous GTO initial orbit right?  And we know the launch services were acquired via Spaceflight Industries.

Offline TrevorMonty

Watch video. Launches to 500km SSO from Vandenburg, probably as secondary payload.

At 585Kg it could do future launches on new small LVs eg Firefly and Relativity. To big for Launcherone.

With landed mass about 185kg (burns over 400kg fuel) should be able to deliver reasonable size payload.

Online envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965

Watch video. Launches to 500km SSO from Vandenburg, probably as secondary payload.

At 585Kg it could do future launches on new small LVs eg Firefly and Relativity. To big for Launcherone.

With landed mass about 185kg (burns over 400kg fuel) should be able to deliver reasonable size payload.

Which video?

400/585 is not a high enough prop mass fraction to get to the lunar surface from SSO. It would need to be sent considerably higher by the LV, at least to GTO apogee.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 12:43 pm by gongora »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

Which video?

400/585 is not a high enough prop mass fraction to get to the lunar surface from SSO. It would need to be sent considerably higher by the LV, at least to GTO apogee.
Per this article it clearly states that it will launch on a F9 into a 60,000km tightly elliptical parking orbit from CCAFS where it will be deployed and the lander making burns at each perigee (makes more sense if it uses a jettisonable service module like LISA Pathfinder) until arrival nearly two months later with landing in February.

Offline crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 431
  • Likes Given: 136

I note that Sarah 1 is about the right time and is supposed to have secondary payload per Gunter at
http://space.skyrocket.de/doc_sdat/sarah-a.htm

But that is just my wild speculation as I don't even know if sun synch orbit from Vandenberg would be suitable. Difference between communication satellite and surveillaince satellite might also be something against this.

Oh never mind it is launching from Cape Canaveral.

Offline scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1685
  • Likes Given: 1596

PSN-6 seems to be the only launch that fitst the criteria (Falcon 9 from Canaveral in December).

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator

PSN-6 seems to be the only launch that fitst the criteria (Falcon 9 from Canaveral in December).

Current entry on US NSF Schedule:
Q4 - PSN-6 (Pasifik Satelit Nusantara 6), U.S. government satellite - Falcon 9 - Canaveral SLC-40

PSN-VI Possibilities:
Q4 - PSN-6 (Pasifik Satelit Nusantara 6), U.S. government satellite, SpaceIL Moon Lander - Falcon 9 - Canaveral SLC-40
Q4 - PSN-6 (Pasifik Satelit Nusantara 6), U.S. government satellite, SpaceIL Moon Lander - Falcon 9 - Canaveral SLC-40

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

Current entry on US NSF Schedule:
Q4 - PSN-6 (Pasifik Satelit Nusantara 6), U.S. government satellite - Falcon 9 - Canaveral SLC-40

PSN-VI Possibilities:

The reports on the government secondary payload said it would be carried to orbit by PSN VI, so I don't think option 3 is likely.  If it does end up being with PSN VI then I'd guess option 2 is most likely.

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2

SpaceIL @TeamSpaceIL
We have a launch and landing dates! December 2018- Launch, February 13 2019- First Israeli spacecraft lands on the moon! SpaceIL's moon mission is officially underway #SpaceIL https://t.co/f5V2E0Ue2d

https://twitter.com/TeamSpaceIL/status/1016633238008270850?s=19
|
Yoav Landsman @MasaCritit
Oh, I misunderstood you earlier. Our launcher is a Falcon 9, not a Falcon Heavy.

https://twitter.com/MasaCritit/status/946736382357237760?s=19
« Last Edit: 02/16/2019 12:44 pm by gongora »
DM

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220

This was quite widely reported on the main BBC news over here in the UK, which is somewhat unusual for this kind of story these days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-44777305

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178

Do you mean this video? The one that shows Sparrow deploying from the base of the second stage! I wouldn't trust anything that video shows. By the way, best of luck to SpaceIL on the landing attempt, but they'll need India to fail with Chandrayaan 2 this October in order to be fourth, otherwise Israel will end up fifth if India succeeds.

Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography