Author Topic: The SES-9 Return for Deposit Party Thread  (Read 79757 times)

Offline CraigLieb

• Dallas Fort Worth
  • Liked: 728
  • Likes Given: 829
Re: The SES-9 Return for Deposit Party Thread
« Reply #400 on: 03/08/2016 02:16 PM »
Apparently there was a deposit of a kind on the deck...
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36326.msg1501109#msg1501109
Colonize Mars!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1074
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #401 on: 03/08/2016 02:41 PM »
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline CJ

• Liked: 582
  • Likes Given: 179
« Reply #402 on: 03/08/2016 08:00 PM »
EDit: The need for an anti-ASDS missile system may be even more urgent than we thought! There are troubling rumors that the ASDS are already reproducing Von Neumann machine style, and at an alarming rate. 
Looks like one even evolved to thrive on land  :o

Well, Musk did warn us , quite some time ago, that after the ASDSs had completed their upgrade, they'd be able to handle anything. I guess being able to travel ashore comes under the heading of "anything", as does self-replication...

It is fervently to be hoped that SpaceX perfects the anti-ASDS missile system quickly, or it may be too late to stop them before we're overrun by them, both at sea and on land. 

The adventures of the anti Droneship Missile can be followed on Twitter;  @antidroneshpmsl and @TheDroneShip

This is terrifying. I knew the ASDS had an AI system (that's one of the reasons Musk fears them and is developing anti-ASDS systems) but I had no idea the ASDS AI's were sentient enough to tweet already.

It's good to see that the antiASDS missile system also has an AI smart enough to tweet. Perhaps that means there's still hope?

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1074
  • Likes Given: 239
« Reply #403 on: 03/08/2016 10:34 PM »

It is fervently to be hoped that SpaceX perfects the anti-ASDS missile system quickly, or it may be too late to stop them before we're overrun by them, both at sea and on land. 

Worse case would be the Arthur C. Clarke Jupiter end game. I would really hate to see us become just another star in the solar system.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Retired Downrange

• Turks & Caicos Islands
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 118
« Reply #404 on: 03/26/2016 12:42 AM »
Meanwhile....
It isn't obvious how a large target (~500 mm scaling from the 3.8 meter stage diameter) would be useful.  A large target probably wouldn't work with an interferometric system, which would probably have too much resolution anyways. 
In one of the images the dot is near the centerline. That suggests that it's not a positional metrology system, where they are just looking for the spot to move across the target.   Maybe the target has some unobvious properties, and can be observed from places that allow for perspective and parallax.  It's still not clear why that would be easier or more accurate then straight forward imaging.

I admit to being puzzled by this dot. 

...it is the cat's revenge

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/36/369125e93329f1e14cbcc8d54e39c94373ea801953c3db7c3b3b8341b9bf568f.jpg
« Last Edit: 03/26/2016 12:50 AM by Retired Downrange »

Tags: