Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : BulgariaSat-1 : June 23, 2017 : DISCUSSION  (Read 151329 times)

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1149
  • Likes Given: 984
BulgariaSat was persuaded by SpaceX to use a reused booster even before SES-10 was launched.
Presumably this is the second customer that was mentioned when we already knew about SES.

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 61
It's amazing that BulgariaSat was inspired by the success of SES-10 to reuse one of the Falcon 9 boosters.
BulgariaSat was persuaded by SpaceX to use a reused booster even before SES-10 was launched.

By using a reused booster, they jump to the front of the launch queue! Reusability does indeed increase availability and provide much flexibility schedulewise, which is one of the benefits the Air Force looking at.

It's one thing to tell a customer that if you choose a flight proven booster you get to fly earlier, but telling a customer that if you don't accept a flight proven booster your already significantly delayed launch will get delayed even further because others will get pushed in front of you. I don't know if that will fly.

Online cppetrie

• Liked: 347
  • Likes Given: 3
It's amazing that BulgariaSat was inspired by the success of SES-10 to reuse one of the Falcon 9 boosters.

By using a reused booster, they jump to the front of the launch queue! Reusability does indeed increase availability and provide much flexibility schedulewise, which is one of the benefits the Air Force looking at.

It's one thing to tell a customer that if you choose a flight proven booster you get to fly earlier, but telling a customer that if you don't accept a flight proven booster your already significantly delayed launch will get delayed even further because others will get pushed in front of you. I don't know if that will fly.
I doubt they said they'd delay them more if they didn't take a proven core. I think they simply said, "You can wait until a new core is made, and you're 10th in line. Or you can take a flight-proven booster, and we can slot you in at 4 in the launch order because there's space for that. Which would you prefer?"
BulgariaSat chose the latter. Seems perfectly reasonable in my mind.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 2852
  • Likes Given: 1723
Before the AMOS-6 accident BulgariaSat was in that big blob of "end of 2016" launches, we really don't know what order those were going to launch.  If the decision to reuse a booster had any effect on the schedule at all, I doubt it was much more than a month.

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 61

I doubt they said they'd delay them more if they didn't take a proven core. I think they simply said, "You can wait until a new core is made, and you're 10th in line. Or you can take a flight-proven booster, and we can slot you in at 4 in the launch order because there's space for that. Which would you prefer?"
BulgariaSat chose the latter. Seems perfectly reasonable in my mind.

Yes definitely if they can squeeze a launch into what would have otherwise been a gap and nobody else is delayed any more than they would have been otherwise, that would be the best scenario.

And as gongora noted, we have no insight into the launch order and timing, I was just adding another perspective to the discussion.

Online Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 3349
  • Likes Given: 2110
It would seem like SpaceX must already adjusting their production like to produce more upper stages than boosters. That balance should shift even more dramatically for block 5 production.

One more reason not to miss this launch (other than being a Bulgarian and being a subscriber of the sat operator in question) :)

I am glad Bulsatcom has forward thinking management..

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 67
So am i correct in thinking that booster 1029 will take the honour of becoming the first rocket to have launched from both coasts? 

Offline KaiFarrimond

So am i correct in thinking that booster 1029 will take the honour of becoming the first rocket to have launched from both coasts?
It sure will!
Of Course I Still Love You; We Have A Falcon 9 Onboard!

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 225
I'm thinking this booster gets at least 3 flights.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Is this a statement of fact or your supposition?
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline king1999

• F-Niner Fan
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 505

The first sentence was my supposition. The second one was based on some recent AF statements.

Online abaddon

• Liked: 1149
  • Likes Given: 984

From the linked SFN article:
BulgariaSat did not disclose whether it received any discount for switching from a new Falcon 9 rocket to a previously-flown vehicle. Industry sources previously said BulgariaSat 1 recently moved ahead of other payloads in the Falcon 9 manifest, perhaps in exchange for an agreement to launch on a reused booster.
Still not a statement of fact, but it is evidence of a queue adjustment for some reason.
« Last Edit: 05/08/2017 02:01 PM by abaddon »

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 5900
  • Likes Given: 1702
Added launch window for next Ariane 5 & the penultimate Delta 2 launch. Also: Falcon 9/BulgariaSat 1 set for June 15 https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/

https://twitter.com/stephenclark1/status/861638979799658496
« Last Edit: 05/08/2017 06:07 PM by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 3986
  • Likes Given: 5503
Shouldn't BulgariaSat be the first Roomba Rumba, too?
It is next ASDS landing on east Coast...
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Shouldn't BulgariaSat be the first Roomba Rumba, too?
It is next ASDS landing on east Coast...

Despite the fact that it will be used when OCISLY is unstable due to high seas, they'll have to test it eventually so I guess this is a good mission to try it. That being said, it would be unfortunate if they accidentally dropped their second ever booster (that was also recovered once before) into the drink.....we'll see what happens.   

Online darkenfast

• Liked: 465
  • Likes Given: 1156
"Roomba Rumba" - another space term enters the language!

Offline macpacheco

• Vitoria-ES-Brazil
  • Liked: 345
  • Likes Given: 2646
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BulgariaSat-1

Estimates the payload launch mass at around 4000Kg, which means an ASDS landing is very likely even if a somewhat super sync or reduced inclination target orbit is planned.
Like the cookie monster said... Goooooood !
Perhaps such a modest launch mass with a Block V could be done even with RTLS. Thoughts ?
« Last Edit: 06/04/2017 08:09 AM by macpacheco »
Looking for companies doing great things for much more than money

Offline Flying Beaver

« Last Edit: 05/11/2017 03:56 PM by Flying Beaver »
Watched B1019 land in person 21/12/2015.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 1753
  • Likes Given: 3787
Quote from: SSL press release re:BulgariaSat-1
...  BulgariaSat-1 satellite ...  will be launched aboard a space-proven Falcon 9 vehicle provided by SpaceX....

Not just flight-proven, but space-proven now too!  Well, I guess it has been above the Karman Line, so ok.  But, come on SSL, get the terminology right. 
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Tags: