Author Topic: Question on pressure differential with hexagon wall + outer pi/3 chord  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Robert Thompson

• Liked: 101
  • Likes Given: 658
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:360924

Not so much a 3D modelling question.
This is more a packing, useable pressurized volume question.
So you have an interior pressurized volume of hexagon * height. Assume floor and ceiling are made of unobtainium adamantium can't bendium.
The assumption is: All internal joins between adjacent pressurized hexagons have net zero static loads. They are equal in pressure on both sides.
The certainty is: For the exterior hexagon sides, strain will develop across a rigid flat surface that is anchored at a rigid angle.
The question is: IF you had modular attachable "shells", of a chord of pi/3, or, 1/6 of a circle, that geometrically matched up, from the outside, along the vertices of the exterior facing hexagon panels...
WOULD you neutralize all flat surface static strains? I.e., bear the pressure load to a "spherical" (cylindrical) isotropic surface, in the principle that governs the Bigelow inflatables?
I assume yes, you resolve all static loads on the interior hexagon structure. But I know there are always unknown unknowns.
Move to Advanced Concepts if necessary.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography