Author Topic: Spaceflight Magazine  (Read 204926 times)

Offline daedalus1

• uk
  • Liked: 477
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spaceflight Magazine
« Reply #220 on: 01/03/2019 04:59 pm »
Star 1. Point me to a decent article about SpaceX. There are many about SLS which won't fly till 2021. SpaceX is flying and destroying the competition with reusable boosters that the establishment said wouldn't work. Just for that there should be much interest in this magazine.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #221 on: 01/03/2019 05:06 pm »
Star 1. Point me to a decent article about SpaceX. There are many about SLS which won't fly till 2021. SpaceX is flying and destroying the competition with reusable boosters that the establishment said wouldn't work. Just for that there should be much interest in this magazine.

Is it hard to find SpaceX information on the interwebs? You realize that the subject of spaceflight includes a lot more than just one company launching rockets, right?

As Shakespeare said: Expand thy horizons, dude.

Offline daedalus1

• uk
« Reply #222 on: 01/03/2019 05:13 pm »
Blackstar you shouldn't be so condescending.
Of course I get my news from all sorts of places. But the point of my original comment was that I no longer buy this magazine as it seems to ignore SpaceX.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #223 on: 01/03/2019 06:47 pm »
Blackstar you shouldn't be so condescending.
Of course I get my news from all sorts of places. But the point of my original comment was that I no longer buy this magazine as it seems to ignore SpaceX.

If all you want is SpaceX, then all you need is Elon's Twitter feed. But there's more going on in space than SpaceX.

Offline daedalus1

• uk
« Reply #224 on: 01/03/2019 06:59 pm »
Blackstar you are simply not understanding my point. I want a balanced view of everything spaceflight related. Spaceflight magazine simply does not provide that, as I have explained.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #225 on: 01/03/2019 08:03 pm »
Blackstar you are simply not understanding my point. I want a balanced view of everything spaceflight related. Spaceflight magazine simply does not provide that, as I have explained.

And we have explained to you it does. You’re the one with the narrow take on the space industry not the magazine.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #226 on: 01/15/2019 09:41 am »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 02 – February 2019

Satellites, lightning trackers and space robots
Space historian Gerard van de Haar FBIS has researched the plethora of European payloads carried to the International Space Station by SpaceX Dragon capsules. He describes the wide range of scientific and technical experiments supporting a wide range of research initiatives.

In search of a role
Former scientist and spacecraft engineer Dr Bob Parkinson MBE, FBIS takes us back to the origins of the International Space Station and explains his own role in helping to bring about a British contribution – only to see it migrate to an unmanned environmental monitoring platform.

Shake, rattle and Rolex
On the 100th anniversary of the company’s birth, Philip Corneille traces the international story behind a range of Rolex watches used by astronauts and cosmonauts in training and in space, plus one that made it to the Moon.

Reach for the Skyrora
Ken MacTaggart FBIS tracks down the company building the first domestic UK satellite launcher in 50 years and explains how it can revolutionise low-cost services for small satellites, as well as igniting a resurgence in rocket development.

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-02-february-2019/
Jacques :-)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #227 on: 02/09/2019 11:07 am »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 03 – March 2019

From Imagination to Reality
Noted amateur astronomer and writer Chris Starr reviews the outstanding extended mission of NASA's New Horizons as it conducts a flyby
of another Kuiper Belt object – the mysteriously shaped Ultima Thule.

Getting the Measure of Mercury
From the US, Dwayne A. Day reveals the persistent attempts of planetary scientists to attract more attention to the exploration of the planet Mercury – an endeavour in which they haven't always succeeded!

Apollo 9 – Dancing in the Dark
SpaceFlight Editor David Baker revisits the critical days in March 1969 when NASA first tested the Lunar Module with astronauts – one
of the most complex and demanding operations so far in the race to the Moon.

Out of the Shadows
Writer and award-winning space historian Francis French describes what it was like to find an unpublished memoir from an astronaut on NASA’s first crewed Apollo flight and how it came to be turned into a book.

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-03-march-2019/
« Last Edit: 02/20/2019 01:37 pm by jacqmans »

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #228 on: 05/02/2019 06:52 am »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 04 – April 2019

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-04-april-2019/

Taking the High Road
Scottish firm Orbex is planning a radical approach to a launch vehicle for the small satellite market that will fly from the UK.

Return of the Black Arrow
Ken MacTaggart FBIS delves into archives to celebrate the return of an iconic example of British engineering excellence: the first stage of the late-lamented Black Arrow rocket.

Patch works – the art of Space Age heraldry
Space-sleuth and historian Joel W. Powell looks at the remarkable array of mission patches and logos that have, sometimes controversially, adorned spacecraft over the last 60 years.

The Impact of Apollo – Part 1
Nick Spall FBIS begins his three-part series surveying the impact of the Moon landings on human society, technology and the subsequent development of space exploration.

Two to get ready
Long-time collector of space-age artefacts and memorabilia Mark Yates describes a particularly important document from the Apollo 16 mission – the Cue Card preparing the astronauts for their EVAs in the rugged lunar highlands.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: 05/02/2019 06:53 am »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 05 – May 2019

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-05-may-2019/

Return of the Dragon
SpaceX has taken a big step forward by successfully launching its Dragon 2 crew-carrying capsule to the International Space Station but how long before astronauts get to ride the latest people-carrier?

The Impact of Apollo – Part 2
Nick Spall FBIS looks at the technological and inspirational legacy of the Apollo Moon shots and finds value in the money spent.

Apollo 10 – so near, yet so far
David Baker recalls events 50 years ago when three astronauts got closer to the Moon than ever before and yet left the final descent to glory to the next mission in line, clearing the way for the first landing.

The Impact of Apollo – Part 1
Nick Spall FBIS begins his three-part series surveying the impact of the Moon landings on human society, technology and the subsequent development of space exploration.

Commercial Space
Using a wide range of commercial providers, NASA is building a roadmap to the Moon with landers, space tugs and spacecraft for taking humans back to the surface by 2028.

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #230 on: 05/14/2019 12:35 pm »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 06 – June 2019

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-06-june-2019/

Reinventing the future
SpaceFlight takes a long hard look at current NASA plans for getting boots on the Moon, finding President Trump’s clamour for a 2024 target date to be unrealistic.

Course Correction
Former NASA contractor on the Apollo programme Pat Norris shares his experiences of ensuring that NASA got its Apollo spacecraft on course for the Moon – accurately!

Apollo 10 – so near, yet so far
In the final instalment to his trilogy on the meaning of Apollo, Nick Spall FBIS looks at the environmental and cultural aspects of this historic venture, 50 years on.

Mars Whirlybird
The Editor takes a look at what could turn out to be a seminal shift in rover support for Mars exploration as NASA gives the green light to the first helicopter designed for the Red Planet.

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #231 on: 06/13/2019 10:50 am »
Here's the cover for the July 2019 issue, which should be available today. It doesn't appear that the BIS has updated its website yet but it's pretty obvious what the contents are!
« Last Edit: 06/13/2019 10:51 am by aurora899 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #232 on: 06/14/2019 08:04 pm »
Here's the cover for the July 2019 issue, which should be available today. It doesn't appear that the BIS has updated its website yet but it's pretty obvious what the contents are!

My article is in there:

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #233 on: 07/11/2019 11:03 am »
The August 2019 issue should be available from today. The BIS website has been updated with full details but, bizarrely, they've repeated the July cover for August. I found the correct one somewhere else!

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-08-august-2019/
« Last Edit: 07/11/2019 11:03 am by aurora899 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #234 on: 08/11/2019 04:54 pm »
September issue has my article in it:
« Last Edit: 08/11/2019 04:54 pm by Blackstar »

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #235 on: 09/13/2019 01:46 pm »
The October 2019 issue is now available. The BIS's own website hasn't been updated to reflect this yet:

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: 09/16/2019 01:54 pm »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 09 – September 2019

Memories of Apollo
A UK engineer joined the Apollo programme after being hired by Lockheed. Here, Tony Errington recounts his experiences and the day he saved Apollo 16 from a premature return to Earth.

Webb’s Giant
Nobody believed him at first – only the CIA knew he was telling the truth. NASA Administrator James Webb spoke of a giant Russian superbooster that epitomised their race to the Moon. Only years later did the story come out.

A long and winding road
John Sealander recalls the day he stood on the site where Apollo 10 left Earth for the Moon and shares his thoughts as he went back to see the flight of Falcon Heavy from an adjacent launch pad fifty years later.

Above and Beyond
Stephen Ashworth takes us to the stars as he recounts proceedings at the Interstellar Studies Workshop during late June.

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-09-september-2019/

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
« Reply #237 on: 09/16/2019 01:54 pm »
SpaceFlight Vol 61 No 10 – October 2019

Reality Check
Nick Spall FBIS reports on UK astronaut Tim Peake’s next move and looks at the prospects for Britain in space in a post-Brexit world.

Sister Act
The Editor reviews current plans for NASA's Artemis programme to get astronauts back on the Moon by 2024 and asks whether this is the right way to go.

The man who made Mission Control
With the death of Christopher Columbus Kraft, we review his greatest legacy in devising the NASA concept for space flight operations.

Hayabusa hits the spot
As asteroid missions go, Japan’s Hayabusa 2 is cleaning up big, with samples from surface and subsurface locations ready for dispatch to Earth.

https://www.bis-space.com/eshop/products-page-3/magazines/spaceflight/spaceflight-2019/spaceflight-vol-61-no-10-october-2019/

Offline aurora899

• Oxford, UK
« Reply #238 on: 10/10/2019 03:11 pm »
The November 2019 issue is now on sale. The BIS's own website hasn't been updated to reflect this yet:

Offline LtCmdr

• Europe
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #239 on: 10/11/2019 09:26 am »
BIS Space Chronicle got a new look & feel:
 ;)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement