Author Topic: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)  (Read 531496 times)

Offline sewebster

• British Columbia
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 155
Re: SpaceX McGregor Testing Updates and Discussion (Thread 4)
« Reply #20 on: 01/27/2016 01:59 am »
Man that really gives the stage a good shove. Is the pusher pushing against the inside of the combustion chamber? I assume the push rod thingy retracts back into the interstage for the ride home.

I doubt it would go through the throat?

The small size of it in the test video seems to imply that it does. The pusher tip seems to small to lift by the nozzle.

Yeah, I agree with what it looks like. Just seems that it would be more likely to hang up some how in there... maybe not get stuck, but rub, which might not be good...

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #21 on: 01/27/2016 02:44 am »
Did anyone manage to grab a mirror? It's now private and non-viewable.

I wonder if this video was intended for employees only?

EDIT: Yes, according to people on Reddit this was apparently only intended for internal/employee consumption.

i wonder if "cool stuff" is code for employees only

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3861
« Reply #22 on: 01/27/2016 03:02 am »
Did anyone manage to grab a mirror? It's now private and non-viewable.

I wonder if this video was intended for employees only?

EDIT: Yes, according to people on Reddit this was apparently only intended for internal/employee consumption.

i wonder if "cool stuff" is code for employees only

Maybe possible hires and recruitment trips.  I'm sure the employees know far more than these videos.

With the way Dragonfly looked in that video it's easy to imagine it flying un-tethered before too long. 

The video of those tests is going to blow minds.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #23 on: 01/27/2016 03:18 am »
With the way Dragonfly looked in that video it's easy to imagine it flying un-tethered before too long. 

.. so 2009.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #24 on: 01/27/2016 03:33 am »

.. so 2009.
Hey, I miss the excitement of all the different new VTVL vehicles back then!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #25 on: 01/27/2016 04:21 am »

.. so 2009.
Hey, I miss the excitement of all the different new VTVL vehicles back then!

Once you have seen one vehicle hover, you've seen them all. I guess.  ;D

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #26 on: 01/31/2016 11:37 pm »
Reddit user "hartparr" posted photos of a flyover of McGreggor that was done yesterday - 01/30/16. Some interesting details

http://pictures.jtbuice.com/SpaceX-2/McGregor-Flyover-1-30-2016/
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 06:40 am by Chris Bergin »
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #27 on: 01/31/2016 11:44 pm »
R*ddit user "hartparr" posted photos of a flyover of McGreggor that was done yesterday - 01/30/16. Some interesting details

Now that gives a nice sense of scale for the new test stand.  Does anyone know why they seem to be suspending those tanks?
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline dorkmo

« Reply #28 on: 02/01/2016 12:17 am »
R*ddit user "hartparr" posted photos of a flyover of McGreggor that was done yesterday - 01/30/16. Some interesting details

Now that gives a nice sense of scale for the new test stand.  Does anyone know why they seem to be suspending those tanks?

could it be for expanding and contracting?

Offline Martin.cz

• Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #29 on: 02/01/2016 12:49 am »
The "Raptor test stand" picture kinda reminds me of the test stand image in the beginning of Ignition! - but of course much bigger. :)

Also lets hope it never reminds anyone of the second test stand image from Ignition!. ;)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #30 on: 02/01/2016 02:09 am »
Looks like bulk storage of one propellant (LOX?) is over by the road at a very safe distance.  There are what look like "standard" large propane tanks at the test stand itself; I'm guessing that's the methane storage?

I don't know what the blue structures are, but to me they look more like the stage-separation test fixtures than propellant storage tanks.  If I were to guess, I'd say they were test fixtures for the tank portion of the stage which Raptor will be attached to.  Don't know why they need two, except maybe for testing throughput.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #31 on: 02/01/2016 02:23 am »

Self explanatory.

Adapted from Google Earth with thanks.
I'm sorry - what is self explanatory? I'm seeing many explanations of what this structure is, but they are all different. In light of the new pics that have cropped up of this structure on 1/30/16, what is this structure for?

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #32 on: 02/01/2016 02:25 am »
Photo added for context...

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #33 on: 02/01/2016 02:36 am »
My non-engineers guess: testing new large methane thrusters (BFS etc.) and the Raptor powerhead. I don't see them doing Raptor tests on a non-trenched stand, especially with one cell pointing at nearby Oglesby
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 02:48 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #34 on: 02/01/2016 02:38 am »
I don't know what the blue structures are, but to me they look more like the stage-separation test fixtures than propellant storage tanks.  If I were to guess, I'd say they were test fixtures for the tank portion of the stage which Raptor will be attached to.  Don't know why they need two, except maybe for testing throughput.

My guess is those are in fact propellant run tanks in the blue vertical frames. They're right next to the concrete test cell walls, with the engine test stands presumably on the other side. So you have two test cells, each with its own run tank(s).

My other guess is the tanks are suspended at a single point at the top from the pyramid trusses, possibly with a load cell so that the amount of propellant burned in each run can be precisely weighed for accurate Isp measurement.
« Last Edit: 02/01/2016 02:47 am by Kabloona »

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #35 on: 02/01/2016 02:40 am »
SpaceX is building a Raptor test stand in MgGregor according to Facebook rumor. Can this be seen in those pics?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #36 on: 02/01/2016 02:49 am »

My guess is those are in fact propellant run tanks in the blue vertical frames. They're right next to the concrete test cell walls, with the engine test stands presumably on the other side. So you have two test cells, each with its own run tank(s).

My other guess is the tanks are suspended at a single point at the top from the pyramid trusses, possibly with a load cell so that the amount of propellant burned in each run can be precisely weighed for accurate Isp measurement.

We hung our tanks at the AirLaunch test site in the exact same fashion, to be able to precisely weigh propellant contents before and after firing, so that we could calculate total impulse and not have to depend on flowmeters to accommodate two-phase cryogenic flow.

Online Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
« Reply #37 on: 02/01/2016 02:53 am »

That is a very astute observation!

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #38 on: 02/01/2016 03:08 am »

That is a very astute observation!

You can observe a lot by watching, said Yogi Berra.

Offline dorkmo

« Reply #39 on: 02/01/2016 03:14 am »
if they put the cross feed on the back burner, is there any reason to do a fullon falcon heavy test on a non cross fed version?

from the design of the test stand i understand it would be compatible with heavy but i dont see any signs of hold downs for heavy.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography