Author Topic: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)  (Read 994859 times)

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 55
Re: Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)
« Reply #1600 on: 10/28/2018 11:24 pm »
Thanks EG for the great drawings,

but please do not post any further drawings at this place, but send them via PM to Fequalsma, otherwise this overview will be lost, okay?

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:
1:144 Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Offline EG

• The Great Pacific Northwest
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 582
« Reply #1601 on: 10/28/2018 11:30 pm »
No problemo my friend!

I won't derail your build thread anymore...

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1602 on: 10/29/2018 06:33 am »
Thank you my friend for understanding,
but it's better to ask for special drawings, that are needed, and the best way is then to share those via PM.

« Last Edit: 11/02/2018 04:30 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1603 on: 11/04/2018 07:56 am »
Hello everybody,

and now back to the Main Sprockets, for which my friend Joe has meanwhile also modeled two variants of a Set of 16.

Here is the set with the flat arrangement of the wheels, although the set is upright in the picture,

Source: arcforums.com (crackerjazz)

and here the set with upright standing wheels.

I mean, he should upload the Flat arrangement, but whereby he has to be careful to select also the Flat print orientation!
Hopefully there is no Déjà vu experience with Shapeways ...

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1604 on: 11/05/2018 12:15 pm »
Hello everyone,

my friend Joe has uploaded the two Sprocket Sets of 16 faster than expected and also sent me the screenshots of the related Support Material.

Here is the support wax arrangement at the Flat set variant,

Source: shapeways.com (Crackerjazz)

and here at the Upright variant.

And here one can find both sets at Shapeways.

I have now ordered the Set of 16-Flat Ori (FXD), and I'm curious if SW will print it without any trouble, what I expect, or if they will pull themself up again at the wall thicknesses (< 0,3 mm).

« Last Edit: 11/05/2018 12:15 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1605 on: 11/06/2018 11:40 am »
Hello everybody,

my expectations of SW have been met, the Main Sprocket Set of 16-Flat Ori (FXD) was already let pass without hesitation and is In Production, wherewith also my 3D print projects would have been finished for now.
Why not immediately so!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1606 on: 11/07/2018 06:42 am »
Good morning, friends,
the Main Sprockets are rolling now - Shipped!!!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1607 on: 11/09/2018 10:36 pm »
Hello everybody,

today came the Main Sprocket Set of 16-Flat Ori (FXD), which I have checked out closer, to see possibly, which side did lay below and therefore on the support wax.

Well, what do you think?

I suspect that in the first picture one looks onto the bottom, which was lying on the wax and seems to be a bit rougher than the top in the second picture.

Under my LED lamp, the difference comes out a little better, therefore the same order of images, here is the view onto the bottom,

and here onto the smoother top. 

So well, I'll have to clean everything anyway in the ultrasonic bath, both the Track Shoes and the Sprockets.
That's it now with the 3D printing but first, and I'm very satisfied with the result.

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1608 on: 12/01/2018 08:26 pm »
Hello everyone,

maybe you already wondered about the break, but at the moment I am still busy completing the London Bus (1:24) of my best German Raumcon friend Thomas, who had gone much too early last year.

He wanted to gift this Routemaster to his wife as a reminder of her time in London, but whose completion he must have postponed again and again and therefoe unfortunately could not finish it anymore, since he was probably too busy with his beloved Launch Pad project ...

Therefore, his wife had asked me if I could not complete the bus, because allegedly only the outer decals (advertisement, line, etc.) would be missing, which of course I could not refuse her.

In the same sense I have also taken over parts of his awesome project Space Shuttle Launch Complex 39A with Discovery STS-41D, which I'm going to integrate into my project keeping his legacy alive and in memory of him in this way ... 

But it just was not only the missing decals, as his wife had meant at first, but the complete window set, etc. had to be installed, and also some small stuff then came to it, and so I also had to get a few spare parts from Revell ...

And this is how the bus looks right now, I hope for being able to send it next week, and finally fulfill my promise with the Routemaster's final Rollout.

So far from my intermediate stop at the London bus stop Route 76 Waterloo to Victoria ...

« Last Edit: 12/01/2018 08:39 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1609 on: 12/03/2018 11:38 pm »
Hello everyone,

after my longer stopover at the London bus stop of the Route 76 Waterloo-Victoria, as well as after the exhausting but ultimately successful 3D prints of the Track Shoes and Main Sprockets for the Crawler Trucks I want to turn once again to the Early LWT (ET-8).

After a long bickering in summer with Shapeways' service team, with whose print quality of the modified WSF Intertanks (right) I neither was satisfied, nor I wanted to accept that fact,

I had been fiddling even further together with Michael Key and at the same time still modified some so far missing details.
These concerned the so-called Flange Closeouts at the connections of the Intertank with the LH2/LO2 tanks, which were sprayed by hand.

Source: NASA

This photo shows such a Flange Closeout area after manual machining completed.

Source: facebook.com (Craig Capdepon)

These Closeout areas I've looked at in my photos of the ET-8 again closer and had marked them in the following images for a detailed discussion based on Michael Key's current 3D model.

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

Source: forum.nasaspaceflight.com (Jester)

Source: retropaceimages.com (STS-6)

By comparison, this transitional area had not yet been differentiated enough in his model, what I have explained to him.

While the flat area of the Closeout-2 is too narrow, the subsequent beveled area appears a bit too wide, which I have marked in this photo, and what one can see clearly on the right edge.

Source: georgesrockets.com (George Gassaway)

In the next image I've put the original photo and the 3D model directly next to each other for comparison. As one can see, the flat area of the front Closeout-2 should be widened to 2,5 mm, so that the remaining slope is only 1 mm wide, measured to the leading edge of the IT, i.e. 12 mm is the distance from the lower edge of the vent to the leading edge of the IT.

BTW, the Closeouts at the end of the IT require the same changes I've marked with tape to overview at this WSF-IT.

These changes were largely taken into account in the next model except for a small detail. In his model, however, there is no smooth transition from Closeout-2 to the 'normal' Closeout, but a step/staircase that is caused by the different inclinations of both areas, which is not correct. However, by widening the flat area of Closeout-2 should allow a smooth transition with the same slope.

And even these transitions could finally still be adjusted, after which the 3D model looked perfect.

And this is now definitely the final Early LWT Intertank for my STS-6 Shuttle Stack,

Source: shapeways.com (The Aerospace Place)

but which I did not order it in WSF, but in FUD, that was delivered in the meantime too. Unfortunately, one can not see well the Closeout details on these FUD photos because of the transparency of the material.

And the IT also fits well with the other two Airfix ET parts,

but has now to be thoroughly cleaned again in the ChiliDent Laboratory, wherewith finally would be completed this stressful IT chapter. And on this occasion, the Track Shoes and Main Sprockets will be patched up as well. 

« Last Edit: 12/05/2018 05:24 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1610 on: 12/21/2018 05:37 am »
Hello my true friends,
the guys from ChiliDent gave the green light, starting from 7th January I can get in touch.

BTW, I've finally finished the London bus for the wife of my late boyfriend Thomas (†54), and meanwhile he arrived safely, survived unscathed and will surely be a nice Christmas present.

In this sense Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all.

« Last Edit: 12/21/2018 05:38 am by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1611 on: 12/21/2018 12:42 pm »
Beautiful Routemaster.  Really nice work.

Your late boyfriend has a wife? Sounds polyamorous. Or like something was lost in translation.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline EG

« Reply #1612 on: 12/21/2018 10:19 pm »
Beautiful Routemaster.  Really nice work.

Your late boyfriend has a wife? Sounds polyamorous. Or like something was lost in translation.

I think what he said lost something in the translation.... But then I really don't know.....

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1613 on: 12/22/2018 11:52 pm »
Hello my friends,

sorry, but unfortunately I don't know what you cannot understand.

In my Reply #1608 I had written as follows:

He wanted to gift this Routemaster to his wife as a reminder of her time in London, but whose completion he must have postponed again and again and therefoe unfortunately could not finish it anymore, since he was probably too busy with his beloved Launch Pad project.

Therefore, his wife (his widow) had asked me if I could not complete the bus, because allegedly only the outer decals (advertisement, line, etc.) would be missing, which of course I could not refuse her.

In my opinion this sentence had been translated understandable by the Google translator, or not?

BTW, everyone else understood that ...

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #1614 on: 12/23/2018 02:53 am »
Mostly I was teasing you[1], it all makes sense... Sorry if you took any offense!

I think it's very cool that you completed the model for your friend's widow. What a lovely gesture. It came out great too.

1 - in US idiomatic English, 'boyfriend' has a special meaning, it doesn't just mean a male who happens to be a friend. Google Translate may not always capture nuances like that,in either direction.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline EG

« Reply #1615 on: 12/24/2018 05:13 am »
Me 2 my friend.... Just a bit of gentle kidding from an admirer of your work.

Besides google translator as been known to runaway with the language from time to time....

I think what you did for the widow of a friend, not only honors him it honors you.... And the smile I'm sure it brought was much appreciated....

You a good guy my friend.....

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1616 on: 12/24/2018 08:24 am »
Hi guys,
sorry, maybe that Google translator was irritated a little bit, but good to know that you did understand what I wanted to say.

BTW, in ARC Forums several members expressed the wish that I also should post a construction report on the completion of the bus, of which I already thought about too.

So I started an own thread there to complete my friend's Routemaster project and thereby preserve him a honorable legacy,

Completion of Revell's London Bus (1:24) - In memory of my late friend Thomas Emberger (†54)

where you can follow the construction progress, if you are interested in.

BTW, on  my MLP is also Christmas time.

« Last Edit: 12/24/2018 03:13 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1617 on: 12/31/2018 09:44 pm »
Hello my friends,

it will not be long now, and we are writing the year 2019.
In this spirit, I would like to thank you for your faithful companionship and wish you all a Happy and healthy New Year.

Cheers!!!

Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Offline Starbase101

• Likes Given: 688
« Reply #1618 on: 01/01/2019 06:02 am »
Hey Manfred, as you know I spent the last several weeks reading through your entire build (all 81 pages) and I finally made it to the end! (It took awhile because I'm a pretty busy guy with not a lot of time for reading.) Again I must say EXCELLENT WORK on everything you've accomplished so far!

There is a trick you can do with Shapeways models to have them more printer-friendly. I have bought several models with thicknesses less than 0.2mm (such as 1:144 highly-detailed people figures for example) and apparently you can "cheat the system" by modeling a sort of "cage" around the model (as seen here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/GDSSR3LWS/1-144-engineers-set102). Yes, it can increase the cost a little, but in the end when it comes to modeling what is more important...the cost or the details? I'm just throwing this out there as a possible solution when SW scolds about dimensions. (The figures arrived with no printing defects.)

A question about the ultrasonic cleaning, and if you don't know then maybe you could ask when getting your parts cleaned. Why suspend them in a beaker rather than directly in the cleaner? I'm looking at getting an Elmasonic cleaner for my hobbies and couldn't the parts go right into a suspended cleaning basket? I'm just curious why they are placed in a beaker at your dental office.

Happy New Year and we all look forward to seeing more miracles from you in 2019.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2019 06:06 am by Starbase101 »

Offline roma847

• Be part of it
  • Germany
« Reply #1619 on: 01/01/2019 10:00 pm »
Thanks Mike,
I wish you the same, especially best health, and hope that we will have a lot of fun together in 2019.

Regarding your question to the ultrasonic cleaning the following issues are important for best ultrasonic coupling.

In order to shorten the cleaning time, we have increased the concentration of the TICKOPUR to approx. 20%. Through the rubber ring, the height of the glass insert in the ultrasonic bath could be adjusted so that it hung about 3 cm above the bottom of the tub, which is as important for optimal cleaning as the filling of the tub with the same solution.

« Last Edit: 01/01/2019 10:03 pm by roma847 »
Regards from Germany

Manfred

Under construction:

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight