Author Topic: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion  (Read 720191 times)

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Boeing's CST-100 capsule updates & discussion
« Reply #20 on: 06/28/2010 02:04 pm »
As long as everyone is speculating, I'll say it's actually powered by a small matter/anti-matter reactor developed out at Area 51. 
Enjoying viewing the forum a little better now by filtering certain users.

Offline Downix

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: 06/28/2010 02:05 pm »

Also for all we know this craft could be battery powered. 

I can see the commercial now...

**a Boeing crew, hustling around the new capsule** Ok folk, time to turn it on!
**they back away, and behind the capsules battery door... the Energizer Rabbit**
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #22 on: 06/28/2010 02:06 pm »
Depending on average power requirement, they could probably just use batteries up to maybe 3 or 4 days. If they can draw power from the ISS when docked, then power wouldn't be a factor limiting their stay there.

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #23 on: 06/28/2010 02:12 pm »
In all seriousness folks, what is this vehicle meant to do?

Once you answer that, and do not go on adding in capabilities and "if's" (which is something called requirements creep, that NASA is often chastized for) then you have your answer on what powers this vehicle. 

Offline Downix

• Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #24 on: 06/28/2010 02:13 pm »

Once you answer that, and do not go on adding in capabilities and "if's" (which is something called requirements creep, that NASA is often chastized for) then you have your answer on what powers this vehicle. 
From the reports that have come out, its primary job is to go to and from a Bigelow spacestation, positioned either in LEO or EML1. Just guessing tho.
chuck - Toilet paper has no real value? Try living with 5 other adults for 6 months in a can with no toilet paper. Man oh man. Toilet paper would be worth it's weight in gold!

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #25 on: 06/28/2010 02:15 pm »
Depending on average power requirement, they could probably just use batteries up to maybe 3 or 4 days. If they can draw power from the ISS when docked, then power wouldn't be a factor limiting their stay there.
But won't the batteries decompose over those six months?
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline pathfinder_01

• Liked: 274
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #26 on: 06/28/2010 02:16 pm »

From the reports that have come out, its primary job is to go to and from a Bigelow spacestation, positioned either in LEO or EML1. Just guessing tho.

This is a LEO craft so you can rule out EML1. The only questions is if battery technology has advanced to the point where it could be used for this kind of craft. Or if they go with the old stand by fuel cells.

Offline pathfinder_01

« Reply #27 on: 06/28/2010 02:18 pm »
But won't the batteries decompose over those six months?

Probably not if they are kept within tempurature limits.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
« Reply #28 on: 06/28/2010 02:19 pm »

The only questions is if battery technology has advanced to the point where it could be used for this kind of craft. 
Well do you mean just lithium ion batteries?
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline pathfinder_01

« Reply #29 on: 06/28/2010 02:26 pm »

The only questions is if battery technology has advanced to the point where it could be used for this kind of craft. 

No I was thinking battery technology of all kinds.  I know lithium ion can store a lot of power and be lightwieght. I don't know if they can store enough power to support a craft holding 7 people for 2-3 days to get to the ISS.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #30 on: 06/28/2010 02:51 pm »

Bigelow has stated that he wants the first LEO station in a 350 mile orbit. That is what this craft will have to do.
I doubt it will see much creep until after it has done this a few times.
Eventually Bigelow will want something capable of a Lunar surface access, but not until he's ready to drop a complex on the Moon.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline simonth

« Reply #31 on: 06/28/2010 03:01 pm »

No I was thinking battery technology of all kinds.  I know lithium ion can store a lot of power and be lightwieght. I don't know if they can store enough power to support a craft holding 7 people for 2-3 days to get to the ISS.

Fuel cell technology has about 4 times the specific energy density that lithium-ion batteries or lithium-ion polymer batteries or LiPF6 batteries etc. have. The only battery technology that can challenge fuel cell technology would be lithium-air batteries and we are unfortunately at least a decade away from getting that technology into any type of application.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 703
  • Likes Given: 727
« Reply #32 on: 06/28/2010 03:07 pm »
But there is a lot more to long-term on-orbit capability (180days at station, e.g.) than power requirements.
Care to elaborate on that? I thought that once capsule is attached to the station, it can disable its ECLSS. Assuming there's no living payload stored, the capsule on its own won't use any oxygen. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (I'm a software engineer, not a rocket scientist.)

If the propellants for re-entry cannot be stored for 180 days, the vehicle will have problems getting home.

Online yg1968

• Liked: 7185
  • Likes Given: 3085
« Reply #33 on: 06/28/2010 03:33 pm »
Good idea creating this thread. There has been a lot of talk on Boeing's capsule since CCDev was announced but it was in various threads. It's nice to have a centralized thread on this topic.

Some of the prior discussion on the CCDev announcement (including Boeing's proposal) can be found here:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=20268.0

Here is Boeing's press release when CCDev was announced:
http://boeing.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1054

Some pictures of the capsule can be found here:
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2010/02/pictures-boeingbigelow-aerospa.html
« Last Edit: 06/28/2010 04:34 pm by yg1968 »

Online yg1968

• Liked: 7185
  • Likes Given: 3085
« Last Edit: 06/28/2010 04:17 pm by yg1968 »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #35 on: 06/28/2010 05:39 pm »
The only battery technology that can challenge fuel cell technology would be lithium-air batteries and we are unfortunately at least a decade away from getting that technology into any type of application.

Is that true for a closed system?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline FinalFrontier

• Space Watcher
  • Liked: 1332
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #36 on: 06/28/2010 05:42 pm »

Most likely? Its a commcecial crew LEO taxi for ISS. Thats it. I don't see any reason that boeing would design this to have lifeboat or long duration stay capability if Orion is going to serve as an additional lifeboat to the soyuz capsules.

Its a commercial crew taxi. Thats all, IMO.
3-30-2017: The start of a great future
"Live Long and Prosper"

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #37 on: 06/28/2010 06:11 pm »
Most likely? Its a commcecial crew LEO taxi for ISS. Thats it. I don't see any reason that boeing would design this to have lifeboat or long duration stay capability if Orion is going to serve as an additional lifeboat to the soyuz capsules.

I would expect it to be able remain on station for the duration of a stay at a Bigelow facility.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25283
  • Likes Given: 12125
« Reply #38 on: 06/28/2010 06:13 pm »

I would expect it to be able remain on station for the duration of a stay at a Bigelow facility.
Good point.

Also, is it not possible to have the capsule launched on a more direct trajectory, so that you can get into the vicinity of ISS within a short time (i.e. minutes or hours, not days)? ULA claimed they could do that with their Payload Bay Fairing, so why not a capsule?
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Namechange User

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #39 on: 06/28/2010 06:14 pm »

And there you go.....

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography