Author Topic: OSC COTS I Proposal Discussion  (Read 203885 times)

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
  • Virginia is for (space) lovers
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: OSC COTS I Proposal Discussion
« Reply #340 on: 02/22/2009 02:00 am »
The real decision criterion as to whether to proto-flight or to proto-qual really boils down to margins: when you have to squeeze the last ounce of performance, proto-qual is the only way to go; if you can afford the extra margin, proto-flight is by far less expensive (for quantities in the dozen or so, as we are talking here).
« Last Edit: 02/22/2009 02:06 am by antonioe »
ARS LONGA, VITA BREVIS...

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #341 on: 02/22/2009 09:44 am »
The real decision criterion as to whether to proto-flight or to proto-qual really boils down to margins: when you have to squeeze the last ounce of performance, proto-qual is the only way to go; if you can afford the extra margin, proto-flight is by far less expensive (for quantities in the dozen or so, as we are talking here).
Right, and the structural design heritage of your cargo module is well established (MPLM, ATV-ICC), so the proto-flight philosophy is certainly justified here.
OK, I give up - what's the significance of nine units, then?

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #342 on: 02/22/2009 12:31 pm »
Stand by for upcoming announcements (from NASA; our policy on COTS/CRS is to let NASA take the lead on any press releases).

I don't know how long it will take, though, with all that is happening (stimulus package, STS delay, CRS protest...)
« Last Edit: 02/22/2009 12:35 pm by antonioe »

Offline yinzer

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #343 on: 02/22/2009 03:16 pm »
Right, and the structural design heritage of your cargo module is well established (MPLM, ATV-ICC), so the proto-flight philosophy is certainly justified here.

The initial press releases talked about one demo plus eight flights - I thought the eight flights were options or IDIQ or something, but if Orbital is already buying nine modules, perhaps they have firmed up.
California 2008 - taking rights from people and giving rights to chickens.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #344 on: 02/22/2009 03:40 pm »

My guess is it means that Orbital doesn't expect to lose its COTS contract to the Planetspace protest.

- Ed Kyle

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #345 on: 02/22/2009 04:51 pm »
FWIW: PlanetSpace protested the CRS award, not the COTS award (a bit late for that...)

Also, COTS is not a "contract" in the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) framework: its an
"Agreement"
under Section 203(c)(5) of the Space Act of 1958 (NASA's "Constitution").  NASA and Orbital agree to co-fund a development. That is why we can't count the NASA payments as "revenue" in our financial reports (as would be the case with a contract).

The Orbital/NASA COTS agreement provides for the (one and only) demo flight to use an Unpressurized Cargo Module (UCM), for both cost and schedule reasons...

At this point I'd better shut up - I think I've gone out on a limb enough.  Sorry I brought up this subject, guys.  This will all become clear in a little while.
« Last Edit: 02/22/2009 05:00 pm by antonioe »

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8565
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #346 on: 02/22/2009 05:44 pm »
FWIW: PlanetSpace protested the CRS award, not the COTS award (a bit late for that...)

Roger that.  I meant to refer to the latest (CRS) contract.  Too many acronyms to remember on the fly sometimes!

- Ed Kyle

Offline NUAETIUS

• Liked: 1
« Reply #347 on: 03/01/2009 03:09 am »
Tomorrow is March 1st. 

Original Orbital Sciences COTS Agreement
http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/286477main_284646main_Orbital%20Amendment%201.pdf

Milestone 4: COTS System PDR
February 09 / 20 million

Orbital shall conduct a COTS system preliminary design Review (PDR) (including the demonstration mission configuration) in accordance with the PDR definition in Appendix 3.

Success Criteria:
-Successful completion of the PDR

Milestone 8. Complete Development of Intrumentation Program and Command List (IP&CL)
Febuary 09 / 10 million

The CVV Instrumentation Program and Command List (IP&CL) will be prepared and released for use shortly before the Demo Mission CDR. The mission database release is required to support development of the CVV Dynamic Spacecraft Simulator (DSS) and to commence integrated avionics hardware/software testing (Milestone 10). For the initial database release, the CVV ground commands and telemetry, as well as CVV stored command sequences (RTS and TMON) will be defined to the extent possible

Success Criteria:
Delivery of IP&CL to NASA

I can't find news anywhere of whether or not Orbital met these two milestones.  Where they pushed back, or where they not met?
« Last Edit: 03/01/2009 03:13 am by NUAETIUS »
“It has long been recognized that the formation of a committee is a powerful technique for avoiding responsibility, deferring difficult decisions and averting blame….while at the same time maintaining a semblance of action.” Augustine's Law - Norm Augustine

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #348 on: 04/23/2009 10:23 pm »
Good news everyone!

PlanetSpace, Inc. (NNJ08ZBG001R)
    National Aeronautics and Space Administration
    Quick View Quick view toggle     Outcome: Denied     Date Decided: April 22, 2009

Filed Date:   January 14, 2009
    Due:   April 24, 2009
    Case Type:   Bid Protest
    GAO Attorney:     David A. Ashen
    File Number:     401016.1

So now we can hopefully get more updates, please..

http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/locate?searched=1&o=0&order_by=rel&old_keyword=planetspace&ft=&search_type=bid&add_topic=&remove_topic=&add_type=&remove_type=&add_fed_type=&remove_fed_type=&add_fed_desc=&remove_fed_desc=&add_year=&remove_type=&keyword=planetspace

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #349 on: 05/06/2009 02:40 am »
Went to the tacsat-3 launch attempt today, there was a huge banner for Taurus II being suspended by a large crane.  The Orbital representative at the Visitors center informed me that it was only half scale, this rocket is going to be huge!

Offline Seer

• Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #350 on: 05/09/2009 04:46 am »
Nine?
I'd say the ninth mission is a demonstrator for a potential crew capability.
What do I win?
« Last Edit: 05/09/2009 04:47 am by Seer »

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #351 on: 06/18/2009 05:18 pm »

The Orbital Sciences Corporation has engaged Thales Alenia Space to build a pressurised module for its forthcoming cargo vessel, Cygnus.

The agreement between Orbital and Thales signed at the Paris air show covers nine Cygnus ships in total.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8107877.stm

Offline simpl simon

• Regular
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #352 on: 06/18/2009 05:50 pm »

The Orbital Sciences Corporation has engaged Thales Alenia Space to build a pressurised module for its forthcoming cargo vessel, Cygnus.

The agreement between Orbital and Thales signed at the Paris air show covers nine Cygnus ships in total.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8107877.stm

Yes, one for the COTS Demo mission and 8 for the CRS missions.
So Orbital has decided not to continue with their unpressurized cargo variant (or NASA has no need for it)?

Offline antonioe

• PONTIFEX MAXIMVS
« Reply #353 on: 06/18/2009 08:39 pm »

So Orbital has decided not to continue with their unpressurized cargo variant (or NASA has no need for it)?

NASA requested that we change the demo to pressurized and we agreed; this caused a change in the demo date.  All the details are available (I am told - I have not checked personally) in the NASA COTS web site.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #354 on: 06/19/2009 05:26 pm »

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #355 on: 06/19/2009 06:06 pm »
ok, dont ask me how but only got audio for the recording (tried to get video  ???) anyhow here it is:

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #356 on: 06/19/2009 06:20 pm »
ok, dont ask me how but only got audio for the recording (tried to get video  ???) anyhow here it is:

I don't suppose you used VLC 0.9 when that happened, did you?

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
« Reply #357 on: 06/19/2009 06:22 pm »

Online ugordan

• My mainly Cassini image gallery
  • Liked: 3543
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #358 on: 06/19/2009 06:27 pm »

Well, I'd say there's your problem. I had the same problem with the LRO launch yesterday, couldn't get video to show when stream save was enabled, with no saving enabled it worked fine. I ended up using an older version (0.8.6) to just dump the stream to the disk and then view the file in 0.9.9 after a few seconds on the fly. The old VLC player seemed to be unable to decode the video anymore - dumped garbage and crashed, perhaps due to a change in video format or something, even though for me it worked during Augustine presentations.  ???

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
« Reply #359 on: 06/19/2009 07:14 pm »

It´s not video but you have images.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/361040main_20090617COTS_Status.pdf

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography